Do you carry at home?

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

Re: Do you carry at home?

Postby xpoqx » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:48 am

Lefty Red wrote:
I understand what you are saying but listen to this........coworker lives in a house in the country. Goes on a court writ to Chicago and has to leave early and will be gone late. His home was broken into and two HUGE safes, THAT WAS BOLTED TO THE FLOOR AND WALLS, was cut out and slid outside on bed spreads and taken. So if they want it, they will take it.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, Lefty, I'm not trying to be rude here, seriously I'm not. BUT WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU LIVE?! Hahaha, in all seriousness though, it sounds like you live in the most crime stricken rural area, with all of these violent crimes taking place. I think we're arguing the same point here though. As I was saying a determined criminal is going to figure out what times you are coming and going from your house to determine the best time to break into it so he has the most time to ransack it. All a Safe does is prolong the amount of time it takes him to gain access to your firearms. Good Safes come with an Underwriter Laboratories Time Lapsed rating for the amount of time you're safe can withstand educated and determined thieves breaking into it. All safes are not created equally and some of them are exceptionally easy to break into. No safe is entirely safe, just like nothing is completely bullet proof. But by leaving multiple firearms stashed across your house you are 100% increasing that criminals ability to easily gain access to firearms. Seasoned criminals know all the places you think that are good places to stash firearms because "nobody would ever think to look there". I always hear people say something along the lines of "it will never happen to me". That is a negligent and complacent attitude that allows bad things to happen. Secure your firearms, end of story. A determined criminal will take what ever he wants from your house. By securing your firearms you have a greater chance of ensuring that he does not have access to them as he probably didn't come prepared to break into or remove a safe in your house.

Most break-ins like the one that you described are perpetrated by someone you know who knew that you would be out of town for an extended period of time and that knew exactly where your safe(s) were and how to remove them. Determined criminals either way. The guy who's house got broken into up by me was smart enough to keep the most dangerous of his firearms secured, semi automatic assault rifles, short barrel shotgun, pistols and thus those criminals were unable to remove them from his residence.
xpoqx

Postby Lefty Red » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:47 pm

xpoqx wrote:
Lefty Red wrote:
I understand what you are saying but listen to this........coworker lives in a house in the country. Goes on a court writ to Chicago and has to leave early and will be gone late. His home was broken into and two HUGE safes, THAT WAS BOLTED TO THE FLOOR AND WALLS, was cut out and slid outside on bed spreads and taken. So if they want it, they will take it.

Lefty

Man, Lefty, I'm not trying to be rude here, seriously I'm not. BUT WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU LIVE?! Hahaha, in all seriousness though, it sounds like you live in the most crime stricken rural area, with all of these violent crimes taking place. I think we're arguing the same point here though. As I was saying a determined criminal is going to figure out what times you are coming and going from your house to determine the best time to break into it so he has the most time to ransack it. All a Safe does is prolong the amount of time it takes him to gain access to your firearms. Good Safes come with an Underwriter Laboratories Time Lapsed rating for the amount of time you're safe can withstand educated and determined thieves breaking into it. All safes are not created equally and some of them are exceptionally easy to break into. No safe is entirely safe, just like nothing is completely bullet proof. But by leaving multiple firearms stashed across your house you are 100% increasing that criminals ability to easily gain access to firearms. Seasoned criminals know all the places you think that are good places to stash firearms because "nobody would ever think to look there". I always hear people say something along the lines of "it will never happen to me". That is a negligent and complacent attitude that allows bad things to happen. Secure your firearms, end of story. A determined criminal will take what ever he wants from your house. By securing your firearms you have a greater chance of ensuring that he does not have access to them as he probably didn't come prepared to break into or remove a safe in your house.

Most break-ins like the one that you described are perpetrated by someone you know who knew that you would be out of town for an extended period of time and that knew exactly where your safe(s) were and how to remove them. Determined criminals either way. The guy who's house got broken into up by me was smart enough to keep the most dangerous of his firearms secured, semi automatic assault rifles, short barrel shotgun, pistols and thus those criminals were unable to remove them from his residence.

LOL, just a small rural farming area on Southern Illinois. Sad part of it all was the James went from work to the American Legion to help out frying fish and then home. That means the only one that knew was going to be gone all that time was coworkers and Legion Vets! He was targeted and they had their way with him, so to speak.
Kind of like telling your "friends" on social media that you are leaving for vacation for the week. Everyone knows you are gone and your goods are easy pickings.
But that was not the only house that was hit like that around here. I think three or four in the last couple of years were burgled in the same way.

Lefty

Lefty Red
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:08 pm

I saw a sad fact.
If the home is flying the American flag outside.
Your a prime target for slime balls to break in to get your guns and other valuable stuff.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby baxter513 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:53 pm

wrench459 wrote:I saw a sad fact.
If the home is flying the American flag outside.
Your a prime target for slime balls to break in to get your guns and other valuable stuff.

Its sad but true. If we fly the flag we are bringing bad attention to ourselves. Same as waving a POW flag.

A large aggressive dog will do alot more towards protecting your firearms and possessions while you are gone than any gun safe. We dont talk about large dogs enough. The best defense against burglars (when you are not home) is and ALWAYS will be a large aggressive dog.

I have a nice surveillance system as well but dont need to be staring into the monitors all day because the dog is always on duty. Better than bars on the window, better than ADT alarm company.

The dog eats $20 of food per month. But is a loyal soldier that will die to protect you and your stuff. I live in the bad side of town and hear police helicopters in the air at night at least 3 times per week. But I know the running crook will not be running into my house.

Feed the dog "RMB diet" just cheap dark meat 1/4 chicken thigh and leg on day one. Drumstick on Day 2 and Day 3 organs like gizzards, liver, chicken hearts. Then repeat the cycle. Dog will not stink on this diet and will only require 1 bath per month. Dog will thrive on this natural diet, all food is served frozen solid

No better crook repellent than a mean large dog. And a good companion and friend as well.
baxter513

Previous

Return to Carry