Do you carry at home?

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

Do you carry at home?

Postby otrvan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Had an interesting discussion with a couple family members, as to why my gun would ever stay in my waistband at home. They understand why I'd want to carry outside the home, but some people seem to think that carrying inside the home is paranoid, and uncalled for. The gun should be in the bedroom, locked up. After all, I'm playing with the grandkids with a loaded gun on my hip.

My thought is "always prepared" means just that... if something happens in my yard, or a home invasion scenario occurs while we're eating dinner... There is no time to run to the bedroom and get the gun out, make sure it's loaded, etc.

My gun is secured, I'm always aware of the kids in relation to it, and I'm always in control of it.

My one concession has been that I don't carry with a round chambered. In my training drills, I have practiced adding the racking step to my draw, and it only adds a fraction of a second.

Thoughts???

OTR
otrvan

Re: Do you carry at home?

Postby babsc01 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:13 pm

otrvan wrote:if something happens in my yard, or a home invasion scenario occurs while we're eating dinner... There is no time to run to the bedroom and get the gun out, make sure it's loaded, etc.

This is exactly why both my wife and I carry inside the home. You never know how quickly something can happen inside and around your home. Always be prepared.
Smith & Wesson SD9 VE
SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2
Hi-Point JCP .40 S&W
Kahr CW9 (wifey's carry)
Ruger SR22
Remington 597 .22LR Rifle
Stevens Model 320 Security 12-gauge Shotgun
babsc01
Seasoned Member

Postby HAMBONE » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:29 pm

My gun is always on me, and condition 1. I play with my 2 year old daughter with it on too, and never think twice about it. I also wear it when I'm gardening, watering my flowers and cutting the grass. You never know.
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 pm

If it's safe outside (getting in and out of cars and bending down or stretching for something on a supermarket shelf), then it's probably safe at home...
So, if you lock up your gun at home... door bell rings... you go running to your bedroom 1st?
Open carry... Might be a different conversation..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:14 pm

I have 5 friends who have all been killed either in their home or in their yard by a "visitor".

My pistol is not always on my hip or in my pocket but a gun is always within easy arm's reach in the house or outside.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jax gunslinger » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:55 pm

getvicious wrote:I have 5 friends who have all been killed either in their home or in their yard by a "visitor".

My pistol is not always on my hip or in my pocket but a gun is always within easy arm's reach in the house or outside.

I always stow mine on my desk when I come home. It's too cumbersome to keep in sweat pants or light shorts. I believe in the multiple gun policy in my home. I have several loaded guns through out the house within easy access.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:31 pm

jax gunslinger wrote:
getvicious wrote:I have 5 friends who have all been killed either in their home or in their yard by a "visitor".

I always stow mine on my desk when I come home. It's too cumbersome to keep in sweat pants or light shorts. I believe in the multiple gun policy in my home. I have several loaded guns through out the house within easy access.

Yep. 8)

And everyone in the family knows where they are kept and how to use them.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby ChrisTX » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:43 pm

I don't carry in my house. There are plenty guns accessible enough. I also never carry a gun unless it's ready to go bang. Don't add steps to your self defense procedures. By doing so you're adding more possibilities of screwing up.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby slong115 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:53 am

I have several pistols stashed in various locations in my home where I can access them quickly but don't usually carry on my person. Saw a TV show about home defense and they showed a scenario that really changed my thinking. Scenario was a guy sitting down in his basement on his computer when someone breaks down his front door and comes into the house. Of course the home owner's gun was upstairs and he could not get to it. This was almost my exact setup (minus the break-in incident) so immediately after watching that show, I moved one of my pistols downstairs next to where my computer is because I am down here a lot online and don't want to be caught with no gun nearby for defense.

I might have to give the 'carrying on me at home' idea some more thought, too. Although I live in a very nice, safe neighborhood, I am sure many people across the U.S. have had bad things happen to them in neighborhoods like mine or even safer. My wife had a tendency to move my guns around when she was cleaning the rooms where they were located but we had a serious talk about how "when something bad happens it is not a good time to have to search for a weapon!"....now she leaves all of them exactly where we have them placed for emergencies and we both know where they are.
Scott
USMC '69-'73
slong115
Forum Regular

Postby WEdwards » Thu May 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Makes me wonder who your friends are. Must be in tough part of town. Less than 2% of LEO's will ever use their weapons while on duty during their careers.
Wilburn (Will) Edwards
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
http://wingincamera.zenfolio.com/
WEdwards
Forum Regular

Postby TechDiver » Thu May 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Sometimes carry in the house. Still, I have a few guns stashed through out the place when I don't. We don't have kids and since I'm the youngest (53 years old) in the family, none come visiting too often. I was thinking about G.V. 's five friends. HOLY SHEEP SHIT !! I'd be bristling with weapons if I were him given his friends run of bad fortune.
Leave the gun. Take the canoli.
TechDiver
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Thu May 15, 2014 9:46 pm

WEdwards wrote:

Makes me wonder who your friends are. Must be in tough part of town. Less than 2% of LEO's will ever use their weapons while on duty during their careers.

Nope, all of them (and us) live in the country anywhere from 15 to 20 miles north of Durham. All killings were in the country, nowhere near a city or even a small town.

All but 1 can be called "domestic" attacks. The 3 women knew their killers - 2 were live-in "boy-friends" - 1 was an invasion. The couple were killed in what could be called a "domestic" attack too. The killer sought out the husband at a cookout at another person's home and accused him of "messing around" with his ex (not true but people latch onto ideas and it becomes their truth). The killer went back to his truck to get his handgun and returned and shot the husband. The wife witnessed the event and rushed out of the house to help her husband and was shot herself as she went to her husband's aid.

If there had been a handgun within easy reach would these people be alive today? The 3 women? Maybe yes, maybe no. The couple, or at least the wife? Probably.

Very bad situations all around. :cry:
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Warhawk » Sun May 18, 2014 8:46 am

I don't normally keep a firearm on me at home unless I'm getting ready to leave the house and I didn't put it away as soon as I get home, if I'm going back out I leave it on or if I'm staying home I will keep wearing it until I settle in onto the couch with my wife. yet.

So while I might not have it on me I keep one in my bed room, in a safe near the front door, and a few in my work room I can have ready in less than 15 secs. My wife and i both know if we hear a noise the first steps are to the firearm, then we worry about what it is(normally the dogs will be aware of it also). So I don't feel helpless around the house with out a pistol on me.
Warhawk

Postby getvicious » Sun May 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Warhawk wrote:I don't normally keep a firearm on me at home unless I'm getting ready to leave the house and I didn't put it away as soon as I get home, if I'm going back out I leave it on or if I'm staying home I will keep wearing it until I settle in onto the couch with my wife. yet.

So while I might not have it on me I keep one in my bed room, in a safe near the front door, and a few in my work room I can have ready in less than 15 secs. My wife and i both know if we hear a noise the first steps are to the firearm, then we worry about what it is(normally the dogs will be aware of it also). So I don't feel helpless around the house with out a pistol on me.

Good point, prepare quickly then investigate. Also illustrates most of us have more than a single way of knowing something may be out of the ordinary around our homes.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Into the Fray Episode 10: Exploring the Castle Doctrine

Postby GoesBang » Mon May 19, 2014 7:49 pm

A video by The USCCA:

"The Castle Doctrine is not a hunting license. Castle Doctrine laws most often instruct the courts that they must assume that anyone who breaks into your house while you are inside is there to cause you harm. But you still need to protect yourself legally as well was physically.

The best way to do that is to establish that you are a reluctant participant in the deadly force encounter. Don't go searching for the bad guy. Try to end the situation without using deadly force if you can. Your problems don't end when you shoot the intruder. They begin.

Does your state have a castle doctrine? What do you think of this law?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXjOVDU1emY
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member