second mag?

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

second mag?

Postby randy27 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:41 pm

Pick up my conceal carry permit tomorrow.was wondering if I should carry a second magazine with me? I've carried a knife practically my whole life and never had to pull it out for self defense. I'm thinking if I need 10 more rounds I need to be retreating I'm in serious sh~t! I need a bigger gun!
Randy Army Infantry 81to 90
randy27
Forum Regular

Re: second mag?

Postby madmax » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:42 am

I carry one extra mag not so much for the additional 10 rounds but in case I have a malfunction with the mag in the gun.
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Postby randy27 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:23 pm

Good point madmax. Guess it couldn't hurt.
Randy Army Infantry 81to 90
randy27
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:09 pm

randy27 wrote:Pick up my conceal carry permit tomorrow.was wondering if I should carry a second magazine with me? I've carried a knife practically my whole life and never had to pull it out for self defense. I'm thinking if I need 10 more rounds I need to be retreating I'm in serious sh~t! I need a bigger gun!

I don't carry a 2nd magazine with me when I carry my CPX. Mostly due to the size and type of clothing I normally wear. When I carry one of my single stack JA pistols I sometimes do carry a 2nd magazine. The folks here who weighed in on the other thread about carrying a 2nd magazine had, what I feel, were valid reasons to do so.

Give it some thought, think it thru, decide what will work for your particular situation and carry accordingly.

BTW - Congrats on your Conceal Carry permit.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby singleshotcajun » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:48 am

parkerd wrote:I am sure many here will tell you to carry an additional one or two or three mags. Ten is more than you need unless you are a gang member.

Or you run across gang members :wink:
Shalom Y'all. Romans 8:28.
singleshotcajun
Forum Regular

Postby wknight40 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:05 am

Carry this also and not worry about it so much

http://survivalcache.com/ar-15-discreet-carry-kit-tac2/
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby madmax » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:31 am

wknight40 wrote:Carry this also and not worry about it so much

http://survivalcache.com/ar-15-discreet-carry-kit-tac2/

By the time you got that out and put together it would be all over.
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Postby wknight40 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:46 pm

Maybe so depending on the situation. Imagine the look on the BG face when you come up from behind the concrete wall you took cover behind while he kept shooting at you.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby madmax » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:48 am

parkerd wrote:The look on the bg's face will be a big smile as he puts a bullet through your head or chest when you pop up. Unlike tv - the bg will not be standing in the open firing at a concrete wall. While there are exceptions, criminals have more practice, better accuracy, and greater familiarity with their firearm than your average gun owner.

So Parkerd tell us where you gained this vast knowledge of criminal activity? I have been in Law Enforcement for 23 years don't know of many criminals that practice with their firearms, most of the time their weapon is the one they just stole or just purchased for his other buddy down the street. So please enlighten us as to where you obtained this info I am sure my friends at Homeland Security and the FBI would like to review this info.
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm

parkerd wrote:madmax:

Since you asked, you might want to ask some of your buddies at the FBI about a 200 or so page report entitled:

"Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers"
It was researched and published by some government agency...oh yeah, the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

According to the study.......

......hands.

We all need to think these things through with a bit of reality thrown in.

I'd like to read that. You wouldn't happen to have a link for it would you? I found an August 2006 document which is the 3rd in a series of studies of offenders who, basically, attacked LEOs. Is this the same study you're referring to? http://www.secondcalldefense.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/Violent-Encounters.pdf

I have read some of the study I found - I want to read more. I found it interesting that page 44, under "Weapon Experience" (and the following sections covering the next few pages) the descriptions of weapons training and practicing of the offenders wasn't a lot different than a lot of us. Several of the offenders had weapons training (from various places - military, school, hunting safety, etc.) and practiced in ways similar to what I hear people here say they practice. One notable difference was the reference to shooting practice on "street corners in known drug-trafficking areas where gunfire was commonplace." I haven't heard anyone here mention practicing in a location like that..... :D

The overall description of the offenders I get from this report is a "real bad guy" who would be a nightmare to come up against. Essentially the very person who is the reason I conceal carry. The impression I get is alertness (what we used to call situational awareness) and willingness / ability to react to a sudden threat (quick forceful response to a threat) seem most important.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby lamarw » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:33 am

I only carry the magazine in the pistol with my concealed carry. Sometimes I carry a pistol with 7 + 1 rounds, sometimes 10 + 1 rounds and sometimes a pistol with 15 + 1 rounds.

In Nam, I carried over 20 extra magazines, but the chances of an encounter here is below 1%. I am more likely to run across a snake or a poor deer injured by an auto than a bad guy. Even an encounter with a bad guy is not going to require more than a round or two if I practice discipline, good sighting and shot placement vs. blasting away.

There are no gangs in my neck of the woods. Others my confront hordes and need a machine gun to survive. To each his own based upon the threat.
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby TheRandomFirearm » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:15 pm

I usually only carry the magazine that's in the firearm. I do carry a second one if I know I am going somewhere "questionable", or if I am going somewhere for the weekend or something like that.
TheRandomFirearm

Postby woohog1 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:47 pm

To me its a trade off between firepower and mobility. Also how much risk am I willing to incur? I can take a few more ounces of 9mm so the 2nd mag isnt a big deal to me. But on a steel framed 1911, I'm not sure it would balance out.
The chances of a magazine failure in my experience are slim, still there, but slim. I simply choose to carry the extra mag on the off chance I need it. But let's not get crazy, those people that carry a backup gun, in case their primary goes down,those guys are cookoos :D
Semper Fi!
sccy cpx 2 cb cbde
glock 22
s&w model 60
s&w model 28
s&w model 6904
colt defender 1911
RIA 1911m1 1911
woohog1

Postby Pony Soldier » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:21 pm

In a confrontation even a LEO, at best, has an accuracy effect of 30%. Average shot impact fired to cease a situation range from 1 to 2.8 hits per incident. Regardless of how much range time you have and the consistent accuracy perfection you have acheived, no one can anticipate the overwhelming affect of the stress factor involved in a negative social confrontation. Then, if you have come out on top, get ready for the long term ensuing law suits, either from the perp or their surviving relative(s).
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby sccytoter » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:27 pm

randy27 wrote:Pick up my conceal carry permit tomorrow.was wondering if I should carry a second magazine with me? I've carried a knife practically my whole life and never had to pull it out for self defense. I'm thinking if I need 10 more rounds I need to be retreating I'm in serious sh~t! I need a bigger gun!
I always carry a second magazine. It is not so much that I think I will be in a gun fight, requiring more than one magazine, it is more for a primary magazine failure than anything else.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Carry