What's the order?

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

What's the order?

Postby ArmedVet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:52 pm

Ok I've had my SCCY CPX-2 for a few months now and I'm just getting to the range to shoot it. So far so good but I need to put a few more rounds through it before I feel comfortable enough to carry only the SCCY. So right now it a backup weapon. And my question is what's the order of carry? Do you carry only your SCCY? Or does it play second string to some other carry weapon? Also, if you only carry the SCCY how many rounds did you put through it because it made it to the starting lineup?
ArmedVet

Re: What's the order?

Postby GoesBang » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 pm

I can not pinpoint how/when I made my decision for the EDC of my SCCY.

I know that I shot many brands of FMJ through it, and I still do. I carry it with Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr JHP.

I do a lot of tinkering and prototyping with aftermarket magazines. I do not use any of them for carry. Only OEM.
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 pm

I don't have a lot of gun choices for carry.. I bought the SCCY because it was the best fit for all of my requirements..
So The SCCY is my EDC gun..
I don't think the SCCY was built to be a range gun.. So I shot it enough to know it functioned well (probably 100+ rounds or so)..
I ran a couple of magazines with my carry ammo in the top, 3rd and bottom position in the magazine, FMJ in the rest.
I don't think I need to run through a whole box of 20 rounds to know they work.. If it picks up the 1st round, one in the middle of the stack and the last round, then it will pick up the rest fine..
I know, some will disagree, but it's worked for me..
I don't need to put 15,000 rounds through a gun to know it functions..
I put 50 rounds through it every 5-6 months, with a few carry bullets (as described above)..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:01 am

I bought my CPX-1 for Conceal Carry in May 2010. In May 2012 SCCY replaced my CPX-1 with a Gen 2 model. I had 1877 rounds, of various brands, thru the pistol when it was replaced. I have 395 rounds thru my current CPX-1 since May 2012.

Like HootmonSccy said: "I bought the SCCY because it was the best fit for all of my requirements." I made a list of requirements (must have and nice to have). The CPX-1 met my requirements the best.

I bought a JA380 in February 2011 also for CC. I pocket carry a lot and the CPX is too big for that sometimes. The JA380 is a bit smaller and fits in some pockets better. I've got 668 rounds thru it.

I also have a JA22 I bought in November 2010 for plinking. I do CC it sometimes because it's so small. I've got 2652 rounds thru it.

I CC my CPX the most, the JA380 next and the JA22 the least. I've CC'd the CPX and JA380 since the day I bought them since that's why I bought them. I CC'd the JA22 as soon as I was sure I could shoot it okay (due to it's small size).
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby madmax » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:56 am

I have several carry guns both autos and revolvers, I prefer the CPX for my everyday carry. It seems to fit my hand the best and although it is not the gun I am the most accurate with but I am getting better it is what I have chosen to carry.

I agree with Hootmon I have put some rounds through my CPX but after about 200 rds and after around 20 or so rounds of your carry ammo then I believe your good to go.

The CPX is diffidently not a range gun I save that for my Ruger SR22 and MY Phoenix HP22A. Although 22lr is hard to find I have a good quantity on hand for my shooting needs.

During the summer I participate in Single Action Shooting and Western re-enactments so I shoot a lot with with my Uberti's in 45 lc, shotgun and rifle.

When you feel comfortable with the CPX then start carrying it. just my .02 cents

Have a great day.
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:29 pm

In my opinion 250-300 rounds minimum with NO cycling problems of any kind. The first 200 of FMJ to break it in. Then try and find some self defense ammo that's plentiful locally that your particular firearm likes. After that you should shoot at least 25 rounds of your carry ammo a month to stay proficient. Depending on your environment cleaning a carry weapon a couple times a month is also a good idea.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby SouthernAngler » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:55 pm

getvicious wrote:I bought my CPX-1 for Conceal Carry in May 2010. In May 2012 SCCY replaced my CPX-1 with a Gen 2 model. I had 1877 rounds, of various brands, thru the pistol when it was replaced. I have 395 rounds thru my current CPX-1 since May 2012.

Like HootmonSccy said: "I bought the SCCY because it was the best fit for all of my requirements." I made a list of requirements (must have and nice to have). The CPX-1 met my requirements the best.

I bought a JA380 in February 2011 also for CC. I pocket carry a lot and the CPX is too big for that sometimes. The JA380 is a bit smaller and fits in some pockets better. I've got 668 rounds thru it.

I also have a JA22 I bought in November 2010 for plinking. I do CC it sometimes because it's so small. I've got 2652 rounds thru it.

I CC my CPX the most, the JA380 next and the JA22 the least. I've CC'd the CPX and JA380 since the day I bought them since that's why I bought them. I CC'd the JA22 as soon as I was sure I could shoot it okay (due to it's small size).

Getvicious-
Just curious, do you carry your JA22 and JA380 with a round in the chamber ? I have a small collection of those type guns and have never felt safe carrying either with one in the chamber due to the style of the safety, therefore I carry them seldom, if ever. Other than that I think Jimenez makes a great little gun.
SouthernAngler
Forum Regular

Postby jcwit » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:18 pm

SouthernAngler wrote: Other than that I think Jimenez makes a great little gun.

Are they still in business.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby GoesBang » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:24 pm

Jimenez is still in business. They are in Las Vegas, NV.
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:00 am

SouthernAngler wrote:
Getvicious-
Just curious, do you carry your JA22 and JA380 with a round in the chamber ? I have a small collection of those type guns and have never felt safe carrying either with one in the chamber due to the style of the safety, therefore I carry them seldom, if ever. Other than that I think Jimenez makes a great little gun.

Yes, I carry them with one in the chamber and the safety on. They've been fluffed and buffed and operate quite smoothly. I'm as confident of them as any single action pistol. I pocket carry normally and use a pocket holster. I've learned to just keep my fingers off the trigger when I carry any pistol.

GoesBang wrote:Jimenez is still in business. They are in Las Vegas, NV.

Yep. According to the "U.S. Firearms Industry Today 2013" article, printed in the July 2013 issue of Shooting Industry, Jimenez Arms produced 35311 pistols in 2011. They are the current producer of the Jennings pistols. In fact my JA22 says Jennings under the grip.

JA-22 Frame Label.jpg
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby GoesBang » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:26 am

I called them last July about the JA-22 that I had at the time. Since I was not the original owner they wanted me to pay $30 to have any warranty work done to it. I passed and sold it for what I paid for it.
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby jcwit » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:43 am

Being as I picked up both of mine for less that $50.00 and the former owners were more than glad to be rid of them I do not classify them as "great" little pistols.

I would reserve that for my Berretta Bobcat in .22.

However I do carry them at times, don't want them to feel lonely.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby lamarw » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 pm

I vary my carry depending upon a number of factors to include the environment, the way I will carry, dress, and etc. It will often depend on whether I am on one of boats, one of my vehicles or if I will be out and about on foot. Another consideration is the chances of abuse to the weapon. I have some guns with plenty of character, battle scars, and some in pristine condition. I try not to subject the latter from becoming the former.

I will generally carry a larger pistol/revolver in my vehicles/boats since it will often be in a glove box or a rack. On foot or when active and have a personal conceal carry it will be a smaller firearm either in .32 ACP, .380, .38 special, or a 9mm.

Sometimes, it just depends upon what I am in the mood to carry. I like to sort of rotate my carry weapon. The rotation includes my CPX-2.

I read and participated in a recent poll on another forum on how many rounds until you felt comfortable with your defense carry. The majority of folks including my vote was a 100 to 500 rounds.
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby jcwit » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:36 pm

100 to 500 rounds???????????????????????????????? WOW!

I look at it like the old deer hunting gun reports

1 shot - he got a deer
2 shots - he wounded the deer, might get it if he's a good tracker
3 shots - deer's gone

:lol:
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby sccytoter » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:08 pm

I put the first four trouble free magazines through mine with FMJ, then one magazine of Federal 115 grain JHP and called it good to go. I have put about another 100 rounds through it since, and still feel confident it will work if I need it to. BTW, I am very anal about keeping it clean...love the smell of Hoppes #9 and RemOil.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Return to Carry