HOW OFTEN DO YOU CARRY? (dah... you know, a pistol)

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

HOW OFTEN DO YOU CARRY? (dah... you know, a pistol)

Postby LareP » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:33 pm

I've been asking people at the ranges I frequent how often they carry ( around half have a CCL ) and have been surprised to find that the majority do it on an infrequent basis. My guess is that this is the case for many CCL holders.

So, how often do you carry?

“I didn’t fire my gun. I gave it a promotion.”
― Jarod Kintz,
LareP
Forum Regular

Re: HOW OFTEN DO YOU CARRY? (dah... you know, a pistol)

Postby jcwit » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:24 pm

If I leave the house I carry. Unless I'm going to the hospital, Veterans health care.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby uberwootage » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm

If im walking i have a pistol on me.
uberwootage
Forum Regular

Postby qwiksdraw » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:45 pm

I never leave home without it!
qwiksdraw
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:36 am

If I can legally carry, I do.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby madmax » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:01 am

I carry daily except when I am at school teaching.
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:55 am

getvicious wrote:If I can legally carry, I do.

Same for me.. Image

It's funny, I also alter my routine for this..
Example: You can not "legally" carry in a post office..
I found a Post office inside a hardware store, not to far from me..
If I have Postal business, I take it to the hardware store, where it's perfectly legal to carry...

I don't understand the I carry sometimes mentality..
It's like sometimes wearing your seat belt in the car
Or like sometime wearing a condom
Or sometimes having a fire extinguisher in your house
Or sometimes having a spare tire.

These examples say that: you KNOW when you are going to be in a accident.. IF that were true, wouldn't you just go another way, or leave 5 minutes earlier?
you KNOW when a woman will get pregnant or have a disease.
you know when your house is going to catch on fire
you know when you are going to have a flat on the car..

Sure, we know when things are going to be riskier than others. But just because it is LOW risk, does not mean it is NO risk, or NOT going to happen..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby LareP » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:49 am

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:55 am

getvicious wrote:If I can legally carry, I do.

Same for me.. [ img ]

It's funny, I also alter my routine for this..
Example: You can not "legally" carry in a post office..
I found a Post office inside a hardware store, not to far from me..
If I have Postal business, I take it to the hardware store, where it's perfectly legal to carry...

I thought I'd posted this here but guess I was dreaming, or deleted it. Either way, here's an article that may help decisions about when/how often to carry and PREVENTION in the sense that HootmonSccy refers to.

http://sccycpx.premierbyjudy.net/dont-l ... ithout-it/

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby LareP » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:41 am

Doing my usual YouTube scanning last night I found a number of videos about CCL holders and how they have protected the general citizenry against evil doers. We seldom hear about the untold hundreds of incidents weekly because of the liberal midea.

If there ever was a reason for you to consider full time carry this video should help make that decision. We never know where we will be if someone decides to threaten us, our family or others with a weapon, and it WILL be when you least expect it; could be the grocery store, Walmart, walking down the street (my bank has been robbed 3 times this year, once just a half hour after I left and its in a pretty good neighborhood), or anywhere else you frequent.

Watch the video, place your self in the situation. Wish you were carrying then?

http://sccycpx.premierbyjudy.net/dont-carry-all-the-time-you-should/

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby HootmonSccy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:49 pm

LareP wrote:
Watch the video, place your self in the situation.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

I disagree with the people who stopped the bank robbery and the Aldi's robbery...

I carry a gun.. It is for my protection, my families protection and my friends protection..
I am NOT a Policeman.. It is NOT my job, nor responsibility to stop a crime in progress..
This behavior can escalate the situation. It can get people killed.
Now, if these bad guys come after me, during their robbing a store or bank, Now this becomes my responsibility.
This kind of behavior opens you up to all kinds of liability, lawsuits and criminal charges...

Do as YOU wish, but remember that your gun is for SELF Defense... Not Law Enforcement..
By intervening you could escalate a simple robbery that would result in some cash exchanging hands to a life or lives ending (maybe yours) and many legal issues for you and your family.

If your thing is intervening in crimes in progress, then sign up at your local Police Academy and get the training and experience needed to initiate such action...

I'll get off my Image now..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby PattonWasRight » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:30 pm

^^^ I understand what you're saying, but I don't think I could stand by and do nothing to intervene if something truly bad was happening to a stranger. If that person were seriously injured or killed, it would be difficult for me to live with that.
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
PattonWasRight
Seasoned Member

Postby gunstech » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Unfortunately Im unable to carry at work, so unless im having a few beers at my favorite restaurant, I carry.
"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
gunstech
Seasoned Member

Postby manymarius73 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:46 am

Here's my question ( to myself more than anything). IF someone pulls a gun on a clerk at the store, what should you, as an armed customer do? Let it play out, because more than likely you're going to escalate it if you don't simply shoot him? My thinking is this: IF you don't put him down, if you can, then you leave the clerk's, and anyone's really, life in the hands of a violent criminal. So, the clerks, and everyone else's, only hope really is that the criminal is a decent guy. And there's the quandary, the oxymoron.
But if you draw, you better be willing to kill right then. No warnings, no "drop its".
While we all think we're ready, no one really knows what they will be capable of mentally and emotionally till the moment of action.
manymarius73

Postby HootmonSccy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:47 am

manymarius73 wrote:Here's my question ( to myself more than anything). IF someone pulls a gun on a clerk at the store, what should you, as an armed customer do? Let it play out, because more than likely you're going to escalate it if you don't simply shoot him? My thinking is this: IF you don't put him down, if you can, then you leave the clerk's, and anyone's really, life in the hands of a violent criminal. So, the clerks, and everyone else's, only hope really is that the criminal is a decent guy. And there's the quandary, the oxymoron.
But if you draw, you better be willing to kill right then. No warnings, no "drop its".
While we all think we're ready, no one really knows what they will be capable of mentally and emotionally till the moment of action.

That's why we think about it ahead of time..
Most robbery's go off without a shot, but some do not..
As you said... You are an "Armed Customer". If that same bad guy decided to instead of rob the clerk, rob you.. What would the store (guy behind the counter) do for you?
Your responsibility as an Armed Customer is to be a good witness.. Take the time to note as many details as possible Height, Weight, Anything about their voice, tattoos, etc.

By you intervening you run the risk of taking an nonviolent money transaction and turning it into someone is dead..
You open yourself to all kinds of legal and civil liabilities.

You shoot the bad guy and he dies... Turns out, the police know that he has robbed 20 other stores, and not once was there violence.. Now the police want to arrest you, the family wants to sue you.. So you MAY:
Spend $70,000+ defending yourself
Spend time in jail (maybe years) Meanwhile your family suffers trying to make ends meet and make it without a dad/husband.
Owe the bad guys family money (Maybe LOTS of it)

I say be a good witness - observe - Be ready - If things go south, maybe you have to/ need to shoot the bad guy... But maybe not..

Just remember, the bad guy MAY also have an accomplice, in the store, acting like a customer.. You shoot the bad guy... The accomplice shoots you AND the clerk.. Maybe..

It sounds like you want to defend the clerk, and that's admiral
Sounds like you want to exact justice - Well, not quite your responsibility, but the feeling is admiral..
However, you are an Armed Citizen - You are armed for "Self Defense" not crusader of correcting wrong doing (Otherwise know as the police (or Superman)).
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:01 am

manymarius73 wrote:Here's my question ( to myself more than anything). IF someone pulls a gun on a clerk at the store, what should you, as an armed customer do? Let it play out, because more than likely you're going to escalate it if you don't simply shoot him? My thinking is this: IF you don't put him down, if you can, then you leave the clerk's, and anyone's really, life in the hands of a violent criminal. So, the clerks, and everyone else's, only hope really is that the criminal is a decent guy. And there's the quandary, the oxymoron.

This may not be a satisfactory answer but your question is tied to the law where you live.

Here's the NC answer.
The castle doctrine applies only to my home, my car and my place of business.
All other locations I must attempt to flee a bad situation if at all possible.
I can use my gun if the above two conditions are met and I, or my family are directly threatened with bodily harm or sexual assault.

In your scenario - Have I looked to see if I may flee the location? - Am I or my family threatened?

An armed citizen does not have the authority or legal ability to act like a LEO does.

Find out what the law limits you, requires and allows you to do in your state. That is the only answer that matters, unfortunately.

To directly answer your question - If I felt I, or my family, were directly threatened (probably yes) and there was no way for my entire family to escape (probably not), then I would draw and shoot the bad guy.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Next

Return to Carry