HOW OFTEN DO YOU CARRY? (dah... you know, a pistol)

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

Re: HOW OFTEN DO YOU CARRY? (dah... you know, a pistol)

Postby LareP » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:12 am

manymarius73 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:46 am No warnings, no "drop its".
While we all think we're ready, no one really knows what they will be capable of mentally and emotionally till the moment of action.

My wife and I had this same conversation this weekend as we were looking for her replacement EDC. The key is as you said, we really won't know until the situation presents itself.

Another issue is how much time you'll dwell on the legal ramifications of your actions AFTER and IF you take it upon yourself to pull your gun if the small voice inside you tells you not to because of what might follow. Would you listen to that voice, are you really prepared and knowledgeable enough about the law to take any action at all?

You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. For instance, if she's holding a gun on you she's probably angry
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:09 pm

LareP wrote:
manymarius73 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:46 am No warnings, no "drop its".
While we all think we're ready, no one really knows what they will be capable of mentally and emotionally till the moment of action.

My wife and I had this same conversation this weekend as we were looking for her replacement EDC. The key is as you said, we really won't know until the situation presents itself.

Another issue is how much time you'll dwell on the legal ramifications of your actions AFTER and IF you take it upon yourself to pull your gun if the small voice inside you tells you not to because of what might follow. Would you listen to that voice, are you really prepared and knowledgeable enough about the law to take any action at all?

You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. For instance, if she's holding a gun on you she's probably angry

IMHO - These are the questions a person must come to grips with and then they must develop the mental resolve to shoot a bad guy if they feel the need. Anyone who does not answer their legal / moral questions and have the mental resolve to shoot if needed has no business carrying a weapon (of any type).

Personally, I believe a person will experience legal and perhaps social and moral issues long after any shooting takes place. Think how LEO's sometime react following their needing to shoot someone and the legal issues of George Zimmerman. I think it's safe to say that if you need to shoot someone your life will change for a long time to come. The plus side is that your life (and perhaps your family's) will continue.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby LareP » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:37 pm

Most of us carry to protect ourselves and our family as the #1 reason, yet some may keep their guns at home or in the car if they happen to go to an establishment with a "no guns" sign or where they may not feel comfortable because the people there may take offense if they knew you were carrying. Almost every night on the news there is a story about a home invasion or an instance where someone is confronted with a gun. You may recall the woman in GA who was in the closet and shot an invader 5 times with a 38. This was less than 5 miles from my home. Don't even mention restaurant and gas stations in my county.

I CC to protect my family wherever we are. There may be occasions where I end up where my gun shouldn't. If I'm aware, I leave but if I'm committed for some reason I stay.

Watch the video (you've probably seen it but didn't ever apply it to yourself). Here's why I don't mind the criticism here.

You can be confronted anytime, anywhere, just like this woman. Will you be ready? Will you be prepared? or will you be one of the sheep and watch someone you love be killed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sEYGcXSmpQ

"I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it."
- Phil Dalmolin
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby manymarius73 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:40 am

I am personally convinced that the gun is maybe 20% of the resolution to any such moment. Awareness is the greatest part of personal defense when out and about. If I'm in my own world, especially at night, anyone can pretty much walk right up to me, already drawn, and regardless of whether I'm carrying a weapon or not, I couldn't bring it to bear before the assailant can. To me, always being as aware as possible, and keeping emotions in check, are the key to avoiding any attack.
Very good replies! I believe our laws allow us, in Texas(correct me please), to protect ourselves, family, property, and any person who's life is in immediate jeopardy. That's a pretty line to tow in a lot of situations, I suppose. That's a lot more to think about, so thanks!
manymarius73

Postby LareP » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:20 am

Postby manymarius73 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:40 am
I am personally convinced that the gun is maybe 20% of the resolution to any such moment. Awareness is the greatest part of personal defense when out and about.

Excellent point, and taught in most of the trainings I've attended (except the 20%, which varies with the instructor I guess).

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters. Undocumented.
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby newbie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Very good comment Hoot, thank you.
I was just having a conversation about that last week.
You are just an observer unless you are threatened observe and be ready. Most people do not understand how killing someone will effect you long term.

Postby LareP » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:10 pm

I had a booth at the county fair last week (glad it's over!) and here's why I carry everywhere, although the fairgrounds was posted as Private and No Guns Permitted.

Don't know if it hit the papers? Around closing time one evening more than 100 people gathered at the outskirts of the fair and began running through the fairgrounds knocking people out and creating mayhem. A small child was hurt as well. There were police, but not enough and they barely got it under control. My booth was inside the main building and all the police left there to attend the problems outside. We, as well as hundreds of other people in the building were left unguarded.

The fairgrounds were posted "no firearms" and I'd imagine few people brought them in. The leather crafters told me the people purchasing holsters at the leather shop didn't have theirs so they could take measurements.

I had mine. GA law states that you can bring guns where signs are posted but if asked to leave you must do so immediately (that's right, even private), except you can't take them into schools thru K-12 or most government buildings and Core of Engineers locations.

So what IF these people had guns, were shooting and not just knocking out people?
And had they come into the place where I was I would have probably (note probably, it would be situational) have pulled my gun and called them to halt to wait for police unless they did have guns, then I would defend myself. Who would have protected us then? except those who know the law and carry all the time?

What if they were terrorists? Just goes to show that we will never know when we will be put in a dangerous situation and WISH we had had our "security".

"A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box."
- Frederick Douglass
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:22 pm

LareP wrote:I had a booth.....

.... were terrorists? Just goes to show that we will never know when we will be put in a dangerous situation and WISH we had had our "security".

"A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box."
- Frederick Douglass

I've had 5 friends killed at home or at a friends house - where you believe yourself to be safe. You are absolutely correct.

The question is: "Are you willing to take personal responsibility or not?"
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby LareP » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:41 am

by getvicious » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:22 pm

I've had 5 friends killed at home or at a friends house - where you believe yourself to be safe. You are absolutely correct.

The question is: "Are you willing to take personal responsibility or not?"

That really is the question isn't it. Until we are put in that situation we simply won't know unless it comes to a life & death situation. Then the decision is already made.

”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
~Daniel Webster
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby Lowell » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:36 pm

I carry everyplace I can legally do so.
Lowell

Postby jcwit » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Lowell wrote:I carry everyplace I can legally do so.

Same as I.

I go to the VA Hospital in Fort Wayne, Indiana, firearms are not allowed on the campus anywhere, therefore when I go to the VA I leave my sidearm at home. Some may say why not park off campus, if you were as crippled as I you would realize that is not an option.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby roccluded » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:31 am

When I finish brushing my teeth, washing face and brush hair in the morning. I take it off when I take my trousers off and lay down in bed, the piece is laid down on the right side of my bed arm length reach with stuffed animal on top of it.
roccluded

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:27 am

Whenever and wherever I can legally and realistically carry. I don't like leaving my firearm in my vehicle, so if I'm going to be somewhere I will likely have to disarm, I will usually leave it in the safe.
I try to avoid discussions about when and where I will use my firearm. I can hope I will know when it's time, I believe I will or why would I carry. Anyone not threatening me or mine will never have to worry about it. And anyone who is won't have to worry for long.
Horse

Postby johni37 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:18 pm

I carry most of the time. But remember your ccw is for self defense. Not police work. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johni37

Postby mi77915 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:19 am

I carry whenever I leave the house and everyplace I can legally.... I have read on some forums that some people carry "sometimes". To me, this make no sense at all. If you are going to carry a firearm for personal protection, then carry everywhere you can, "legally".
Tom
Michigan CPL
NRA Member
mi77915
Seasoned Member

PreviousNext

Return to Carry