Methods of carry and clothing type

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

Methods of carry and clothing type

Postby sheepfarmer » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:49 am

I sometimes wear a t-shirt and jeans. Dressed this way, I can easily carry my 9mm in an IWB holster with my shirt pulled over it. However, if I'm dressed in a nice button-up shirt or golf shirt, this isn't possible. What are other ways you carry the SCCY?
sheepfarmer

Re: Methods of carry and clothing type

Postby wknight40 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Open carry, pocket carry, or even ankle carry. Thigh carry works for the ladies and of course they have the flash bang bra or whatever they call it for the ladies. Depending on the size of the pistol and the holster it maybe possible to get one that goes under the belt line further, deep cover or carry I think.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby Camar10 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:30 pm

Bianchi 100T holster, I wear one daily with my CPX2 and tuck in shirts all the time. Appendix carry works best for me either when tucking polo's in or untucked. The holster itself takes some getting use to but that is all I carry and it is easily taken on and off once you get use to it. Hope that helps.
Camar10

Postby LareP » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:30 pm

I am a big supporter of Remora simply because I've spent tons of money on various
brands and have found the Remora to be more comfortable, better concealed and
easier to adjust and wear than any other.

Here's a full review, including video of the Remora holster (they have one
for the ArmaLaser also);

http://sccycpx.premierbyjudy.net/remora-the-holster-i-use-recommend/

Concealed Carry Is The Great Equalizer
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Pocket carry (thigh, front, back). Specific pocket depends on pants and shirt. I wear cargo shorts and pants and jeans mostly.

OWB carry in cool weather under sweatshirt / jacket.

If pants are tight, or in a suit, the CPX is too large / wide for pocket carry. OWB carry won't work here. In that case I need to carry smaller / thinner pistol to fit in pocket without showing to world.

I also have a "daytimer holster" that's a fake planner that I use for "nice" places when pocket carry and holster won't work (like Church / nice restaurant / etc.).
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jcwit » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:49 pm

During the warm summer months or when dressing up without a sport coat or suit coat I use a Holster similar to the Sneaky Pete.

Now that we are getting cooler weather and winter is just around the corner I using a belt open carry holster, normally covered with a leather jacket. In the state of Indiana it is not required to conceal carry & I do not shop or support businesses that do not allow open carry. So if I take my jacket off it is not an issue. :D
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby LareP » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:13 pm

I generally wear casual dress and often polo shirts when not working. Work dress is more formal but a jacket covers the pistol IWB or OWB. In the neighborhood & doing yardwork OWB so my neighbors & passers by know my property is protected. My close neighbors have said it even makes them feel safer.

I made http://sccycpx.com to be a resource for SCCY owners or people researching the SCCY. There is a good article on clothing (the what to wear part is about half way down the page). It might be useful to some (BTW the SCCY meets the "How to choose a gun" requirements to a T for me.

“A girl in a bikini is like having a loaded pistol on your coffee table - There's nothing wrong with them, but it's hard to stop thinking about it”
LareP
Forum Regular

Postby sccytoter » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Pocket carry is a slow draw, but I'm not a very "tactical" guy, so I hope I can get the gun into play fast enough to save my life. I always pocket carry my CPX-2, and never worry about what shirt to wear.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby wildsailor » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:03 pm

I have a couple of IWB holsters and I am not happy with any of them. At the 5 O'clock position the 'RH' holster puts the grip quite a way back and drawing smoothly is difficult. A 'LH' version makes the grip easier to reach but the way the gun is angled in the holster it is still difficult to draw. An OWB at the 4 O'clock position works well but it bulges my shirt out.

So far the best option I seem to compromise on is one of those sticky pocket sleeves wedged IWB at about the 4 O'clock position. I am concerned it will fall out, however. None of these seem like a real nice option to me. Now that we are deep into Fall carrying in my jacket pocket is by far the best.
regards,
Dan
SE Michigan
Ruger SR22P
SCCY CPX-2-B
SCCY CPX-1-TT
Sig P238 380 mini
wildsailor
Forum Regular

Postby Cashley1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:43 pm

I wear alot if untucked buttondowns and various types of khakies jeans shorts what have you. I use a cheap iwb beltslide holster at about 4 oclock just behind my right hip I have had no trouble wearing this setup dressed this way.in winter I wear a ski jacket with a pocket in front right over where your typical shirt pocket is and i use a pocket holster when carrying this way.
Chase from ALABAMA
Cashley1

Postby apx_31088 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:58 pm

Pocket carry with cargo-style pockets. It does not print when using a Nemesis holster. The loaded CPX-2 is so light that I often pat my right front pocket to reassure myself that it is still there! Still comfortable when sitting and still does not print. Doesn't work as well with jeans and regular trousers, so cargo shorts and cargo trousers for me everyday. Nicely starched and pressed cargo pants by a quality company look professional enough with a nice leather belt, shiny boots, and a pressed shirt.
apx_31088

Postby xpress442 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:10 pm

Cpx-2 in an alien gear IWB holster at 7 o'clock (I'm a southpaw) in casual wear i.e. Jeans/cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Most comfortable holster I've worn to date. I can even swap out the kydex and carry my 1911 in reasonable comfort. Just gotta cinch the belt down a little bit lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
xpress442

Postby RoyOdhner » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:53 pm

I bought a Tagua Yaqui slide holster a few years ago that never really fit the intended gun all that well, but it fits my SCCY like a glove. Very secure hold, as well. I carry the extra mag in a nylon Gerber multipurpose tool case. Wear the whole thing under an untucked shirt. Seems to work pretty good, but I just picked up the gun today. May see what Alien Gear has to offer.
RoyOdhner

Postby TallahasseeNative » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:56 am

I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but it also helps if you replace the stock magazine base with the slimline two finger base. I'm a fairly skinny guy and prefer to conceal by IWB Alien Gear holster at 4:30. When I first started carrying my CPX-2, I couldn't manage to make the handle sit flush - even with the cant. I replaced the base and it's changed the game. You'd be surprised what eliminating that one inch or so can do.
TallahasseeNative

Postby Whitebear620 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:22 pm

I just switched to appendix carry.
I think I've been conceal carrying for 3 or 4 years now, mostly in my Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 (originally with my Ruger SR22 and then my SCCY CPX-1) at about the 8 o'clock position (southpaw). My daily wear is usually cargo pants plus an undershirt with a T-shirt or polo/button up for work. One thing that always got me is having to make double sure my shirt didn't ride up too much throughout the day and expose my pistol, open carry is generally not allowed in FL so exposure could be very bad. My wife is also pregnant with our first child, so I know when they come I will probably be bending and squatting more.
So I decided to give appendix carry a try with a minimalist Kydex holster around the 11:30 position. I'm about 5'8 with a 38 inch waist, not a chunky guy but not a slim guy. I'm loving this carry method so far, yes there's pressure on my waist but there's no pain, pistol is well concealed with a little printing under a T-shirt (this will go away when I lose more weight). I still have my Cloak Tuck 3.0 for if I need to tuck my shirt in as my appendix holster isn't tuckable.
Whitebear620

Next

Return to Carry