Norman vs State of Florida - Open Carry in Florida

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

Norman vs State of Florida - Open Carry in Florida

Postby HootmonSccy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:01 am

For those that might be interested in Florida Gun Laws..
Norman was charged with open carry, when his gun accidentally became visible while conceal carrying...

Yesterday Florida Carry's Lead Counsel, Eric Friday, argued Norman v. State before the Florida 4th District court of Appeals.

You can view this session HERE

Mr. Friday (speaking for the Norman side) did an excellent job, The state was wholly unprepared and her strongest argument was "It's Common Since" . No basis in Law, No facts based on other states that have open carry, no basis on FBI studies.. Just "Common Since"... She had no idea how many other states allow open carry, much less how that has worked out in other states.. In my opinion, she should be reprimanded by her boss/department for her lack of preparation.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Re: Norman vs State of Florida - Open Carry in Florida

Postby Pocket_Pistol » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:27 pm

Watched it from beginning to end.
Thanks for sharing, 'HootmonSccy'.

Posted with SwiftKey
Pocket Pistol

"No longer waiting for the MPX"
Pocket_Pistol
Veteran Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:37 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Hoot.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby wknight40 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:55 pm

And I was told on this board or another board, cannot remember where, that Florida no longer considered and accidental showing of weapon a violation of concealed carry. Guess it is true that you cannot believe everything on the internet.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:45 pm

So, Mr. Norman is challenging the FL gun law against open carrying and seeking that the court strike it down.

Of course, even if he wins, it won't necessarily change things for everyone in the state and allow unrestricted open carry throughout the state. The ruling may just order the state to rewrite the law that's struck down (anyone remember Chicago?).

Even so, I hope he wins.

Has there been any statement by the court about when they might release their decision in this case?
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby HootmonSccy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:49 pm

wknight40 wrote:And I was told on this board or another board, cannot remember where, that Florida no longer considered and accidental showing of weapon a violation of concealed carry. Guess it is true that you cannot believe everything on the internet.

Norman was arrested prior to the law being changed.. Yes the law was changed 2 years ago, but is still being used as a precedence to move the open carry agenda forward.

getvicious wrote:So, Mr. Norman is challenging the FL gun law against open carrying and seeking that the court strike it down.

Of course, even if he wins, it won't necessarily change things for everyone in the state and allow unrestricted open carry throughout the state. The ruling may just order the state to rewrite the law that's struck down (anyone remember Chicago?).

Even so, I hope he wins.

Has there been any statement by the court about when they might release their decision in this case?

Mr. Norman is not challenging... I believe he was convicted of the crime before the law was changed (I said I believe)..
This exchange happened on Friday.
It says at the end of the video that they will be in recess until next week.. So.. I don't know if they will make their decision by then or not..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby GoesBang » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:42 am

The State attorney was ill prepared. Mr. Friday on the other hand made a compelling case. It almost felt that the judges would give their decision without needing a recess.
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Return to Carry