In the bank

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

In the bank

Postby sheepfarmer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:38 pm

I just got my license in the mail and started carrying last Thursday and so I'm new to all of this. I'm a graphics designer, fabricator and installer and yesterday as I was finishing up installing graphics on a bank building, I had to go inside and meet with one of the personnel. It was a weird feeling walking into a bank with my Sccy under my belt. Like I said, this is all new to me. I'm 53 and have never even owned a pistol until a couple months ago. I guess what concerned me was my shirt accidently coming up, someone seeing it and freaking out.
sheepfarmer

Re: In the bank

Postby getvicious » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:45 pm

Check your state and local laws. Even with a Conceal Carry permit / license you might not be able to legally carry into a financial institution (bank or credit union).

Conceal Carry does feel strange till you get more comfortable doing it. Go to Walmart, Target or a Mall. Those places are good for getting used to carrying with lots of people around. I bet you'll find yourself watching other people harder than any of then watch you, if they take any notice of you at all.

It still feels odd, to me, carrying in a restaurant with a group of friends when I'm speaking to an acquaintance who is extremely anti-gun and anti self-defense (the "just call 911 and they'll save you" type). It feels odd when they always bring up how people with guns will run amuck and start shooting people while I and my wife sit next to them, with our guns - not planning to run amuck at all. :lol:

My wife and I always get a good chuckle from those situations.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby sheepfarmer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:26 pm

The only places I know of, here in Florida, are schools and college campuses, law enforcement buildings, voting precincts, courtrooms, court houses and jails, none of which are places I care to frequent anyway. I didn't see banks on the list. So far the only places I've carried in besides the bank yesterday were a couple of department stores, Tractor Supply, a few restaurants.......and church.
sheepfarmer

Postby HootmonSccy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:15 pm

sheepfarmer wrote:The only places I know of, here in Florida, are schools and college campuses, law enforcement buildings, voting precincts, courtrooms, court houses and jails, none of which are places I care to frequent anyway. I didn't see banks on the list. So far the only places I've carried in besides the bank yesterday were a couple of department stores, Tractor Supply, a few restaurants.......and church.

Banks are OK in Florida.. To me, this is one of the most important places to carry.. Likely to be walking out of a bank with a sum of cash, and Bad Guys know it..
Also add to your list of don'ts - Post offices... I found a post office local to me that is inside an Ace Hardware.. OK to carry there.. So that is where I go to do any mailing...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby sheepfarmer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks!
I rarely go into a post office as my Wife normally handles that. The last time I was in one was to mail off my CC application. :)
I'll keep that in mind.
sheepfarmer

Postby woohog1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:22 am

I remember the first few months of carrying I had the horrific thought that everyone was staring at me, just trying to burn holes into my holster....
Trust me, everyone thinks that the first few weeks. I go to walmart or the mall and just stare at people, and see how many of them can even tell that I am carrying. I watch for others that carry and see if I can spot them. It is really a fun hobby, and sort of a way to pass the time.

Most folks are clueless to be brutally honest. I was sitting on a bench one day in a local mall, people watching and a guy in his mid to late 50's sat next to me. He leaned over and asked "what brand is it?" I was confused until he said " I do the same thing, I sit here and watch people to see who is carrying also. We had a great conversation for a couple minutes til my wife told me we were going to look at more clothes...

Seriously though, most folks wont even have a clue, and if you use the proper belt, and a good iwb holster, you wont forget you have it on ever, but you will be less prone to freaking out.
Hope it helps.
Semper Fi!
sccy cpx 2 cb cbde
glock 22
s&w model 60
s&w model 28
s&w model 6904
colt defender 1911
RIA 1911m1 1911
woohog1

Postby jcwit » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:23 am

Here in Indiana we have a License to Carry, one can duct tape to their forehead if so desired. In the winter I wear a jacket or coat, thus the holster & gun are covered, when sitting in a restaurant it's exposed, here it's no big thing, folks by and large are used to someone being armed.

Spring & Fall I usually wear a vest, so refer to the above, same applies.

Summer, what can I say, it's either in my pocket "rarely" or on my hip, to those who say this isn't the way to do it, stuff it.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby woohog1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:58 am

Summer, what can I say, it's either in my pocket "rarely" or on my hip, to those who say this isn't the way to do it, stuff it.[/quote]

I hear ya, the summers here in arkanasas can be humid as you wouldnt believe... I actually had a custom holster made for my former Taurus ultralite .380 (a revolver that is chambered for .380 acp) the holster was big enough to fit in my pocket, but still made drawing the weapon easy, once I trained with it.....

They have some very good pocket holsters out there, just didnt like how they fealt, so I went the custom route.

What kind of vest is it that you wear jcwit? A photographers vest? or some other sort?
Semper Fi!
sccy cpx 2 cb cbde
glock 22
s&w model 60
s&w model 28
s&w model 6904
colt defender 1911
RIA 1911m1 1911
woohog1

Postby jcwit » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:55 am

I had an Amish lady make up 6 of them from different fabrics & colors. They are like a std. dress vest except longer.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby jcwit » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:57 am

I'll explain the "stuff it"

I'm 70 plus, 5'4" & weigh close to 200, OK I weigh 200, ITWB doesn't work, OWB does! :D :lol:
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby sccytoter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:28 pm

jcwit wrote:Here in Indiana we have a License to Carry, one can duct tape to their forehead if so desired. In the winter I wear a jacket or coat, thus the holster & gun are covered, when sitting in a restaurant it's exposed, here it's no big thing, folks by and large are used to someone being armed.

Summer, what can I say, it's either in my pocket "rarely" or on my hip, to those who say this isn't the way to do it, stuff it.
Yup, pretty much. I have a good pocket holster for my CPX-2, so I have no real problems. There are those out there who scoff at pocket carry, and it is a bit slower on presentation, but I guess I'm not as "tactical" as they are. Sigh. :cry:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby woohog1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:48 pm

sccytoter wrote:
jcwit wrote:Here in Indiana we have a License to Carry, one can duct tape to their forehead if so desired. In the winter I wear a jacket or coat, thus the holster & gun are covered, when sitting in a restaurant it's exposed, here it's no big thing, folks by and large are used to someone being armed.

Yup, pretty much. I have a good pocket holster for my CPX-2, so I have no real problems. There are those out there who scoff at pocket carry, and it is a bit slower on presentation, but I guess I'm not as "tactical" as they are. Sigh. :cry:

Well, what is "tactical?" I mean if you are getting shot at, the best "tactic" seems to be going somewhere that you are no longer getting shot.... but then again what do I know.
Semper Fi!
sccy cpx 2 cb cbde
glock 22
s&w model 60
s&w model 28
s&w model 6904
colt defender 1911
RIA 1911m1 1911
woohog1

Postby getvicious » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Tactical -
adjective

of, relating to, or constituting actions carefully planned to gain a specific military end.
"as a tactical officer in the field he had no equal"
- (of bombing or weapons) done or for use in immediate support of military or naval operations.
- (of a person or their actions) showing adroit planning; aiming at an end beyond the immediate action.
"in a tactical retreat, she moved into a hotel with her daughters"
synonyms: calculated, planned, strategic;
prudent, politic, diplomatic, judicious, shrewd, cunning, artful

I find that many times "Tactical" is a fashion statement or really means "Tacti-cool"....

Any action a person takes can be tactical as long as there's planning and an objective being worked towards. If you're walking with your wife / family / girlfriend / boyfriend / husband / friends and you're attacked, drawing your CPX from your pocket and using it to defend yourself / them in order to eliminate the threat and allow you and yours' to escape unharmed - sounds pretty tactical to me - since it's based on planning, practice, readiness, implementation of your predetermined response and working toward the goal of escaping the threat. Will a rail help? How about a pair of boots? I'm not really sure..... maybe, maybe not.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby woohog1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:54 pm

jcwit wrote:I had an Amish lady make up 6 of them from different fabrics & colors. They are like a std. dress vest except longer.

Approx how much longer? I would guess 4-6 inches? Would that be correct? Also does it have a bit of elastic around the bottom of the vest to help hold it in place? It would seem as though no elastic would make it much more like wearing a shirt, untucked, over a collared shirt that was tucked in, not sure how that would feel to be honest.

parkerd wrote:woohog - I certainly appreciate your common sense intelligent approach here. Hope it doesn't get you frustrated. Keep on with your logical approach to gun ownership and carry, it will serve you well personally.

Thanks,
I hear many people talking about how they plan on "engaging" a threat, or how they are so macho they hit every shot with a .45 every time and if you dont carry a .45 you are not an "operator". Im not a smart person, but I do know this, the human body was never designed to have any sort of metal flying into it at a high rate of speed. Now mind you yes there is more mass in a 45, than a 22 but if I can connect 12 times with a 22, versus 0 with a 45 which gun is better? I would take the 22 every time. And for those that say it wont stop a threat, I have yet to have one volunteer to stand in front of me and allow me to shoot them multiple times... :D.
I just refuse to conform to what "popular speak" says about things. I like to use common sense and a touch of down home good ole boy thinking on the matter at hand.
Also Im not quite sure what you mean in your response when you say, " Hope it doesnt get you frustrated" could you elaborate.
Semper Fi!
sccy cpx 2 cb cbde
glock 22
s&w model 60
s&w model 28
s&w model 6904
colt defender 1911
RIA 1911m1 1911
woohog1

Postby GoesBang » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:59 am

"He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day"