Man at Walmart attacked for carrying a permitted gun

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

Man at Walmart attacked for carrying a permitted gun

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:36 pm

If you live in a NON-Open carry state.. It's important to keep your weapon concealed...

The 2nd half of the video shows the attack pretty well..

62 year old man.. The attacker seems to have seen the gun while in the parking lot.

Article & Video
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Re: Man at Walmart attacked for carrying a permitted gun

Postby Mrbone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:08 pm

It's perfectly legal for the weapon to be accidentally exposed. This idiot Yahoo had no right to touch the ccwer.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:53 pm

Mrbone wrote:It's perfectly legal for the weapon to be accidentally exposed. This idiot Yahoo had no right to touch the ccwer.

He does have the right to notify Law Enforcement, Walmart Security, or call 911 if he is concerned.. But he should NOT have taken matters into his own hands, just like Concealed Carriers should not take matters into their own hands..
What if the CCWer had caught a glimpse of the attacker in a mirror and he decided to pull his weapon? Now other innocent people are potential victims..

Another thing.. After he is tackled, the gun is removed and passed through 2 bystanders hands... Who are they? Should they have a gun? Who knows?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:13 pm

I'm sorry, but that's just stupid on the part of the "attacker."

Yes to all the things the "victim" may have done poorly and in letting his CCW handgun be seen (particularly in FL where it's apparently illegal to let any part of a CCW handgun be seen or even print).

Still - stupid.

He's lucky the "victim," or some other CCW holder, didn't shoot him for his unprovoked attack. Again - stupid.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:21 pm

getvicious wrote:I'm sorry, but that's just stupid on the part of the "attacker."

(particularly in FL where it's apparently illegal to let any part of a CCW handgun be seen or even print).

Printing/accidently exposing your gun was illegal in Florida and people were put in jail for such an event.. That changed last year when the law was changed..
However, Still the law is written that IF you pull your gun, you are better off shooting the person than not.. Otherwise you WILL be charged with Brandishing (A Felony).. IF you shoot them, at least you can argue, Stand Your Ground, In Fear For Your Life, etc. etc..

I did have a thought though.. I wonder if everything would have happened the same way IF the person with the gun was:

28 years old

How about 28 and tall and well built?

How about 28 and tall and well built and a black man?

Things that make you go Hummm..

Yeah, Take down that 62 year old man.. You Da Man!!! The Stupid Man, But Da Man all the same!
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Mrbone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:42 pm

Yeah that guy was nuts. If someone tried to grab my gun I'd be trying to shoot them.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby tripleb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:41 pm

Part of Florida Statue # 790.053:

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
tripleb
Seasoned Member

Postby k3m1c6 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:19 pm

I would think once he took the firearm away HE was brandishing at that point. I would like to see there be some form of firearms charge brought up as well.
k3m1c6

Postby Pocket_Pistol » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:23 pm

I think the gun carrier was an African American and the guy that tackled him was White. That could explain a lot. Had the situation been reversed it would most likely never have happened.

Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.
Pocket Pistol

"No longer waiting for the MPX"
Pocket_Pistol
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:49 pm

Pocket_Pistol wrote:I think the gun carrier was an African American and the guy that tackled him was White. That could explain a lot. Had the situation been reversed it would most likely never have happened.

I hope you're kidding with this. The "gun carrier" was acting within the law and in the right. The "guy that tackled him" was a fool, who the "gun carrier" could have shot under FL law, who was totally in the wrong. He should have, and was, arrested for attacking the innocent man.

Unless the attacker said he attacked the victim because he was "African American" this is not a racial crime - just a stupid crime. As far as I know the attacker made no such statement. Does anyone know differently - have there been some additional facts reported on this attack?

People are people (black, brown, red, white, yellow and any other color there may be) and some are just stupid and do stupid things.

Based on the reported facts, I have to call shenanigans on your post.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Pocket_Pistol » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Obviously the perpetrator is not going to admit to racism. I personally doubt that the guy would have tackled a neatly dressed White man. You may conclude differently.

Pocket Pistol

"No longer waiting for the MPX"
Pocket_Pistol
Veteran Member

Return to Carry