securing a firearm in your vehicle

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

Re: securing a firearm in your vehicle

Postby mont974x4 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:01 am

I slid my CPX-2 under my drivers seat today. It was in the holster. It fit but needed to be worked around the mechanicals under the seat. I was looking at the gun vault 200 but now I don't know if there's room for it.

There is no opening under the center fro t seat, no room under the rear seT, and the rear seat does not fold away from the bulkhead.

I wonder if I could modify the glovebox or center console so they lock.
mont974x4

Postby Ricksza » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:22 am

mont974x4 wrote:I slid my CPX-2 under my drivers seat today. It was in the holster. It fit but needed to be worked around the mechanicals under the seat. I was looking at the gun vault 200 but now I don't know if there's room for it.

There is no opening under the center fro t seat, no room under the rear seT, and the rear seat does not fold away from the bulkhead.

I can tell you from personal experience, if the glove box is locked when someone breaks in, they will just break the glove box door to see what's so important in there. The glove box door on most of today's vehicles are just make of brittle plastic and shatter when forced.
There might be more room under the passenger side seat (less mechanics) or could the passenger seat be slightly raised for vault clearance?
Ricksza

Postby mont974x4 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:54 pm

Ricksza wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:I slid my CPX-2 under my drivers seat today. It was in the holster. It fit but needed to be worked around the mechanicals under the seat. I was looking at the gun vault 200 but now I don't know if there's room for it.

I can tell you from personal experience, if the glove box is locked when someone breaks in, they will just break the glove box door to see what's so important in there. The glove box door on most of today's vehicles are just make of brittle plastic and shatter when forced.
There might be more room under the passenger side seat (less mechanics) or could the passenger seat be slightly raised for vault clearance?

That's true.

I am going to measure the console compartment and see if I have room for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Cases-Mou ... s=gunvault
mont974x4

Postby mont974x4 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:06 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Ricksza wrote:

That's true.

I am going to measure the console compartment and see if I have room for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Cases-Mou ... s=gunvault

not even close :lol:

Under the front passenger seat looks to be the best in cab option.
mont974x4

Postby getvicious » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:24 pm

Any possibility of placing something up under the dash somewhere?
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby mont974x4 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:17 pm

I found a hidden compartment under the center of the front seat. It's a 40/20/40 and a good hefty yank will pull the 20 section up from its frame.
mont974x4

Postby mogunner » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:42 pm

I just don't go places that I can't carry...problem solved!
mogunner

Postby mont974x4 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:07 pm

I volunteer as a mentor for veterans going through our veterans court program. No weapons allowed in the courthouse and a good enough cause to forego my rights for an hour each week.
mont974x4

Postby WEdwards » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:53 pm

The few times I needed to leave the weapon in the car I have used the locked glove box & car alarm, but I like the ideal of the Bulldog Case or something similar. There is no room under either of the front seats for the locking case, but I wonder if the Bulldog Case would fit in the glove box. I will have to go measure it. I could run the cable from the box out of the glove box to a frame member, assuming there is something to attach it to. All it would take is a small hole in the back of the glove box. The other option is in the trunk, but I would have to stop somewhere before I reached my destination to secure it, then continue on to park the car.
Wilburn (Will) Edwards
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
http://wingincamera.zenfolio.com/
WEdwards
Forum Regular

Postby CPX2andPF9OwnerinKC » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:04 am

For $21, I went with the snapsafe on amazon, and it fits my SCCY CPX2, my Ruger LC9s, or Canik Stingray, along with a spare mag, after learning the hard way and having two guns stolen out of my car, my original CPX2 and my PF9. I drive a Chevy Volt and the glove box doesn't lock, neither does the console and its a hatchback so there isn't a place to really secure it past locking the doors. On the bright side, SCCY is the only mfg who replaces a stolen pistol for the original owner if you provide a copy of the police report and original receipt. I got mine last week, and thus my recent purchase of the SnapSafe. Fit and finish are very good, no gaps in the lid for prying it open, simple key lock and two keys provided. I investigated others with either combination or electronic locks but in every case, the locking mechanism itself was the weak point so I decided to go with the basic key lock. Amazon also sells a pair of these that are keyed the same if you have two cars. BTW, If your gun has more than a 3.5"barrel, you need to step up to the SnapSafeXL

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FAT ... ge_o01_s00
CPX2andPF9OwnerinKC
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:55 am

One thing to remember about the various handgun lock boxes is that they do not do anything to keep your gun from being stolen from your car. They just limit access to the gun. A thief who breaks into your car will just take the lock box and open it later. A hammer and screwdriver do the job just fine.

Of course a lock box is still a good idea and I have a couple too. Just don't expect it to keep your gun from being stolen from your car if it's broken into.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby tom47 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:00 pm

tom47 wrote:In GA my wife and I can carry most places. However, if we need to leave our weapons in the vehicle, I use a long shank padlock to lock the trigger guard under the seat to the heavy seat springs. You would need a bolt cutter to get it out and most thieves don't carry those in their pockets.

This may not be a perfect solution but it works for me. I carry the key in a way that would enable me to unlock it quickly if needed.

The padlocks that Ruger sends with their pistols has a padded shank and this works perfectly!

i had to throw this idea back in the ring. it works well, is easy to use and is very inexpensive. Forget the lock boxes as this will fit where they won't. Try it, you might like it!
USAF
1965 to 1968
Takhli RTAFB
tom47
Forum Regular

Postby chico » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:33 am

I have the perfect safeguard for a gun left in my car,his name is Moose he is a 5yr old 100lb ratweiler I have never had anything stolen from my vehicle!
chico

Postby RichLP » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:23 pm

chico wrote:I have the perfect safeguard for a gun left in my car,his name is Moose he is a 5yr old 100lb ratweiler I have never had anything stolen from my vehicle!

You leave your dog unattended in your car?

In Florida, that's a good way to get your window busted out...
RichLP

Postby Gottasmilealot » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:35 am

Lock box bolted in trunk.
Gottasmilealot

PreviousNext

Return to Carry