9 percent of Americans are angry, impulsive, have a gun

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

9 percent of Americans are angry, impulsive, have a gun

Postby HootmonSccy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:24 am

What are your thoughts on this Article?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Re: 9 percent of Americans are angry, impulsive, have a gun

Postby jcwit » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:11 am

Well, all I can say is that makes me angry!
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby jimbojr85 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:50 am

I read it that 91 percent of angry, impulsive people don't get to work out their frustrations at the range.
jimbojr85
Forum Regular

Postby Mrbone » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:59 am

Fear mongering nonsense.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby mikeMAGNUM » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:45 pm

Maaaaan,
THAT article gives me a propensity to violently smash 12 rounds of 147gr JHP into an Eight inch gong @ 20 yards :twisted:

damn, that article must be true since I definately own more than one gun. :lol:
Staying focused.....Always diligently vigilant
mikeMAGNUM
Seasoned Member

Postby WEdwards » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Nine percent might be accurate, I would to know how and where they got their info and where they did their their surveys? On studies or surveys it makes a big difference to how you pick the audience where you ask the questions. My old Chief of Police once told me if he wanted the facts to show the city had a DUI problem, he would just make sure myself and a few other select officers were working nights, and the DUI arrest records will go up. Just the opposite placement if you want the records to indicate there isn't a problem. Or if he wants to show a speeding problem he would move us to day or evening shifts. Lets just say I was very pro-active in working traffic.
The statistics kept by the FBI will show the crime rates accurately, but the surveys as to the reason can be made to show different results, depending on where you take them.
Wilburn (Will) Edwards
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
http://wingincamera.zenfolio.com/
WEdwards
Forum Regular

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Do you have to be Angry & Impulsive to be counted, or just one?
The issue I see with this view (IF it were taken to Legislation) would be WHO is angry enough to trigger the restriction.. Is it how angry you get, How often you get angry?
Seems like a slippery Slope to me.. I don't doubt there are some people who meet this criteria that I would be concerned with having a gun..
BUT - I'd think that IF you are Angry AND Impulsive, that at some point you would have run into a legal situation (ie: Domestic Violence, etc) that it may preclude you from having a gun...
It also did not differentiate people who have a gun at home and those that carry..
Hey if you have a gun and your angry and your at home, so long as you don't take it out on your family or a neighbor, Rant Away..
Oh, was I just impulsive with writing this, and am I ranting?? Oh, NO, I might be part of the 9% (at least in some peoples eyes)..

I guess if you can keep your anger and impulsiveness at a level below the radar of Law Enforcement, then you probably still have the right to own a gun...

Seems like the system is set up that way, and it works MOST of the time..

Many of the mass shooting you hear about on the news.. You listen to the people that knew them, how often do you hear them say that the person was Angry and Impulsive.. Rarely in my experience..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:09 pm

HootmonSccy wrote:Do you have to be Angry & Impulsive to be counted, or just one?
The issue I see...........
...... with writing this, and am I ranting?? Oh, NO, I might be part of the 9% (at least in some peoples eyes)..

I guess if you can keep your anger and impulsiveness at a level below the radar of Law Enforcement, then you probably still have the right to own a gun...

Seems like the system is set up that way, and it works MOST of the time..

Many of the mass shooting you hear about on the news.. You listen to the people that knew them, how often do you hear them say that the person was Angry and Impulsive.. Rarely in my experience..

"He was such a nice young man. So polite and well mannered. I never would have believed he would do that....." :shock:
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:31 pm

getvicious wrote:"He was such a nice young man. So polite and well mannered. I never would have believed he would do that....." :shock:

That's what you hear..

I have people sometimes tell me "Your so quiet!"
I usually respond.. In a quiet voice.. "Nobody plans a murder - out loud"
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby sccytoter » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:28 pm

More anti-gun "fact" bending. These morons need to spend their time writing about something that actually means something, instead of trying to make something out of nothing. :roll:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:45 pm

sccytoter wrote:More anti-gun "fact" bending. These morons need to spend their time writing about something that actually means something, instead of trying to make something out of nothing. :roll:

The trouble is John Q. Public will believe this stuff.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby tom47 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:41 pm

"Behavioral Sciences and the Law" is a journal put out to scare people into believing some political agenda. They have no technical data to back up what they write. Where are their references to substantiate what they are saying?

There really are none. Yet people believe them.

Glenn Beck puts out books with all of the references listed to back up everything he says. Yet people do not believe him.
USAF
1965 to 1968
Takhli RTAFB
tom47
Forum Regular

Postby lamarw » Wed May 13, 2015 9:39 pm

The "Study" fails to mention "mass shooting" which seem to always, if not always, result from mental illness factors and not so much anger issues. I am not sure of the number mentioned as killed in 2012 and how it could be categorized as anger issues. How many were suicides? Yes, often shooting deaths would have to be considered as violent which does not necessarily mean anger issues. That is unless they were accidental. On the other hand, do you categorize defensive shootings as violent shooting?

I would have to see and read the detailed data, where it was collected and many other factors before I would believe any of the conclusions from the study.
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby oldsalt » Wed May 20, 2015 9:02 am

I wonder how many gangbangers they polled???
CPX1 CBDE
US Navy 6yrs - Law Enforcement 9yrs
TSRA, TCHA, NRA, CHL and Pistol Instructor
oldsalt

Postby draksig » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:16 pm

First I'll say I have always thought that writing a news story or article about a poll, survey or study is lazy journalism. For example, rather than write a story on how the economy is really doing they write an article on a survey about how people think the economy is doing. Never mind facts! They do this because they have an agenda to push and you can get a survey to say whatever you want it to by carefully wording the questions and where the study is conducted.

Also, be very aware of the words the media choose to use. You can take the same numbers and present it two different ways to achieve different responses. Here is an example I love giving, two different news stories, same network, same day. This was back during the budget battles during the Clinton Administration. Clinton and the Republicans both made proposals that would cut the budget by 10 Billion dollars. Here is how they described them...

The Republican proposal slashes the budget by 10 billion dollars.

The President's Proposal trims the budget by 10 billion dollars.

Guess which received a negative response from the public? Words mean things.
draksig

Next

Return to Carry