Pocket Carry

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

Pocket Carry

Postby thewillweeks » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:04 pm

Do any of you guys pocket carry your SCCY's? I'm just curious if anyone else does so. Also, is it the CPX2 in a holster, or do any of you carry a CPX1 with the safety on without a holster?
thewillweeks

Re: Pocket Carry

Postby getvicious » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:30 pm

I pocket carry almost exclusively. Sometimes OWB on my belt.

I have a CPX-1. Always in a holster in the pocket. Always a round in the chamber. In a cargo pocket or back pocket, once in a while the front pocket of looser fitting jeans. I wear a field jacket if it's cold or rainy. Works well in one of the big main pockets too.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby tripleb » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:16 pm

I pocket carry from time to time a CPX-2 in a Remora holster.Always one in the pipe.
tripleb
Seasoned Member

Postby mikeMAGNUM » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:04 pm

I pocket carry my CPX2 sometimes...cargo pocket or front pocket with loose fitting Jeans, when I back pocket it my S&W mod 60-1 gets MAD because it feels that's its' permenant home :evil:
Always in holsters...Always one in the ready room :wink:

Most times however my CPX2 rides IWB strongside in a DeSantis Softuk.
Staying focused.....Always diligently vigilant
mikeMAGNUM
Seasoned Member

Postby tom47 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:26 pm

My CPX-2 with TR-10 Armalaser is with me whenever my LCP is not. I have been carrying both in different size belt pouches from PDAHolsters.com.

It did take me a while to get used to the feeling that I was "standing out in the crowd." However, I usually forget I am carrying it and the standing and sitting comfort has no comparison from any holster other than a shoulder rig. It really works for me.

I use the PDA-6 Little Buddy for the LCP and the PDA-4 Body Guard for the SCCY.

Also, I tried pocket carry with and without a large selection of uncomfortable pocket holsters. I just can't get comfortable with them anywhere but in a jacket.
tom47
Forum Regular

Postby randy27 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:23 pm

I pocket carry my cpx 2 about all the time, always in a holster. I have 2 pairs of jeans it just won't fit.
Randy Army Infantry 81to 90
randy27
Forum Regular

Re: Pocket Carry - and not yet snake-bit

Postby apx_31088 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:27 pm

Am always carrying a CPX-2 with a JHP standard round in the chamber stashed in my right front pocket into a DeSantis Nemisis sticky holster. it carries so easy that I keep patting my pocket to make sure it is still there! Shorts and trousers are all cargo-style, and pretty much print-proof.

Yesterday, when working outside, I could hear my dog barking while that dog was under the house. There is an access through the foundation wall of the house, and the dog appreciates the cool shade under the house during hot weather.
I kept calling to the dog, and the dog is usually quick to come running. But the dog kept barking while under the house. I knew that was not normal for that hyper-friendly dog, so I came close to the access opening and called out to the dog. But the dog continued barking.
I crawled on my hands and knees to get under the porch to get to the access through the foundation wall so I could look in and see what was happening with the dog. When I got to within 5 feet of the access opening through the foundation wall, I saw a coiled snake with a timber rattler color pattern just inside the opening through the foundation wall!
Through the last 12 years at the homestead, three dogs have been rattlesnake-bitten a total of four times. They all made it through, but veterinarian bills for bad snake bites have averaged about $700 per dog per incident. And I didn’t know if the dog was bitten at the moment.
Fortunately, it did not seem that the dog was harassing the snake. That’s usually how a dog gets bitten hard on the snout because a dog lunges at the snake, but the rattlesnake is often quicker.

But it was mostly darkish under the house and hard to make out details about either snake or dog.
So, while still crawling on my hands and knees, I backed a few feet from the snake and worked to position myself to be able see the snake as best as I could in the low-light situation. And also try to see the dog. As my eyes adjusted to the low light, I could see a little more detail about the snake. I could mostly make out the head end of the snake and I could see the ridges of the rattle-tail of the snake.
For the first time in a real-world situation, I pulled out my pocket-carried (Nemesis hostered) sub-compact CPX-2 9mm. The white-dot sights worked great in the low light, and it was easy to position the sight on the snake. The snake was absolutely still, but the head was no longer visible. It seemed to me that a non-lethal shot would cause the snake to get moving along, and who knows how fast it would move or where it would move to?
I swept the sight until it rested on a position where the snake’s body was sorta coiled into a mass. I thought that a well-placed bullet might blast through layers of a coiled snake. I squeezed the trigger and could see that the sight was still on target after firing.
Now all this has happened during a span of about 3 minutes. Because of the dog barking, I don’t know if the snake was very aware that I was there. The snake was not moving, and I had been moving slowly to angle into my best position.
Now, because I was not wearing ear protection and because the shot was made under the porch right next to a concrete wall, you will realize that the blast was very, very, very loud! Funny thing is, that I was so focused on the snake that I realized how intensely loud it was for only a brief moment because I really was concentrating to see if the snake was shot and where the snake would move off to.
The 9mm JHP bullet did rip up the snake, and the snake was not moving at all. Even through it was shot in the body and not the head. I then could barely make out the head as that end of the snake slowly coiled around. I am still surprised as I remember how easy it was to position the white sight on that head and pull the trigger. The 9mm JHP bullet absolutely obliterated the head, leaving some of the top of the skull attached to the head end of the snake.
I crawled out from under the porch and got a claw-hammer so that I could remove a panel of the decorative grid used to surround the base of the porch. That allowed me to get a clear shot of the snake without me having to crawl back under the porch.
The tail of the snake was slowly moving, and it looked like the snake was dead or dying. The head end of the snake was also slowly moving even with the head blown off.
Used a pitchfork to scoop up the dead snake. Took some photos. Then pitched the dead snake into the neighboring woods because my wife insisted that she did not want to see a dead snake. Not even the pictures!
The dog was not snake bit and is doing fine!

But after all this, I noticed that my ears felt like they had earplugs in them. I was actually trying to remove the “earplugs”! And my left ear could not hear very well, like when it has an earplug in it. I found that I was not able to listen to a cell phone conversation with my left ear because there was some amount of ringing noise in the ear and the hearing of the left ear seemed as if there was an earplug in that ear.
I went to the internet and searched for information about decibel levels for 9mm rounds. Found information that described that a 9mm round produces 157 dB for 2 milliseconds. The information said that 157 dB for 2 milliseconds has an effect upon hearing similar to 40 hours in a noisy work environment (no decibels described for that noisy work environment). The confines of the porch and nearby concrete wall likely compounded the audio intensity.
I always wear my earplugs at the outdoor range. I have never been at an indoor range, but I heard it is intense.
I’d never thought to think that protective use of a handgun could be damaging to one’s hearing. Or the hearing of bystanders.
Today the ringing and other effects upon my hearing seems lots less now than at first. I can hear fine with the left ear now. Still have some low to moderate ringing in both ears, but not enough to keep from hearing normal noises. Maybe tomorrow will show some more improvement?
apx_31088

Postby getvicious » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:11 pm

apx_31088 - Good to hear your dog and you are both okay. Your hearing should return to normal over a several days. You essentially injured your ears. As long as the injury in not repeated, at least not till after you heal, and don't damage your CPX.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby sccytoter » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:11 am

Wow. Snake versus 9mm...9mm won!
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby Nemo_Domi » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:56 am

Has anyone tried http://www.cabelas.com/product/CCI-Pistol-Shotshell-Ammunition/741172.uts for varmint control.

I'm also wondering about the noise in a crawlspace where we get the occasional copperhead.
Nemo_Domi

Postby getvicious » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:49 pm

Nemo_Domi - I've used the .22 LR version. Just like a normal round except doesn't cycle the pistol every time. Works well against snakes.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby apx_31088 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:31 pm

Nemo_Domi wrote:Has anyone tried http://www.cabelas.com/product/CCI-Pistol-Shotshell-Ammunition/741172.uts for varmint control.

I'm also wondering about the noise in a crawlspace where we get the occasional copperhead.

No need to wonder. It will be VERY loud! The close confines from the foundation walls and the overhead flooring cause the blast to be very loud when it is reflected back onto you. An indoor shooting range is very loud. A much smaller indoor shooting room will be lots louder than an indoor shooting range. Unless you have acoustically absorbing materials installed in your crawlspace.

You might want to crawl down there to fire off a .22 into the ground just to get a good starting point. Then try some bigger guns if the blast from the .22 doesn't get your ears ringing. My ears quit ringing by the end of the next day after I'd fired a 9mm standard pressure to dispatch the rattlesnake in my crawlspace. And I wasn't even the craw;space but underneath a wooden porch that covered the crawlspace opening. The snake was in the crawlspace just inside the crawlspace opening.
apx_31088

Postby randy726w » Wed May 11, 2016 12:05 pm

I have an IWB holster I use when I have a loose shirt on but usually it's just the Desantis pocket holster. I'm a big guy, 6'2" 245 so it fits in the pocket of any pants I'm wearing pretty well. Blue jeans, shorts, dress pants. It prints a little and when I first started carrying I would kind of worry about it but not anymore. Nobody notices and even if they did it's not illegal in Florida for it to print.
randy726w

Postby Merc6 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:37 pm

I pocket carry the CPX-2, most my pants are big enough to not print much. Pulled it up just a little for it to focus better. Further in the pocket it was blurry.

SCCY CPX-2 CB 9MM
*Talon Rubber Black Grip & Mag Extension
*Polished Barrel
*Oversized Frame Pins

SW1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
*Polished Barrel
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby Gottasmilealot » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:33 am

I was going to purchase a CPX for pocket carry, but it's just too big (thick) to conceal the way I'd like to. I hope the CPX-3 will be better in that regard.
Gottasmilealot

Next

Return to Carry