first time pullover with ccw.... went terrible!

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

first time pullover with ccw.... went terrible!

Postby Mrbone » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:58 pm

Was just out on my motorcycle, got pulled over. Cop said my plates are expired. They are not. Cop asks for Id so I says my ccw weapon is right above my wallet Iwb and I don't want to grab it. Do I have permission? Cop says no and lifts my shirt, grabs my gun and holster and just starts ripping the holster off of me. Keep in mind it's a 2 clip holster, the sccy is loaded and chambered, and it's a cpx-2 so no safety. More cops show up and they surround me. Cop then discovers my knife and pepper spray and takes those too. Goes back to his car, comes back and says gosh, your plate is good I read it wrong. Here's your gun knife and spray have a nice day. Unbelievable! There were at least ten cops on the scene by the time it was over. I'm thinking about calling the supervisor to complain. They shouldn't have touched my gun.
Last edited by Mrbone on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Re: first time pullover with ccw.... went terrible!

Postby mikeMAGNUM » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:57 pm

Sorry to hear about your incident Mrbone.
Glad everybody made it thru unhurt.
Sounds to me like maybe it was a Blessing you weren't carrying one of those striker fired pistols with the "Good triggers";)
Staying focused.....Always diligently vigilant
mikeMAGNUM
Seasoned Member

Postby Mrbone » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:39 pm

Yep glad it wasn't a glock. He was shaking and pulling so hard and it was very dark out. I will never ever inform a police officer that I am carrying again.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:18 am

Check the law - some places you're required to inform a cop if you're armed - some you're not.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Glad it turned out okay.

Maybe I've been lucky, the few times I've been stopped while carrying have been easy and no problem. One time the cop and I had a little discussion about what pistols each of us like and some general "gun guy" type discussion.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:15 am

If you contact the Police, I'd suggest Internal Affairs.. Not a Supervisor..
The Supervisor has a stake in covering for his officer.
I'd have a conversation, described what happened and suggest that more training is in order on how to deal with law abiding citizens who are armed...

Educating Police officers is the best outcome of the situation..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Mrbone » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:54 am

I have no criminal record and haven't had tickets in over a decade. For them to treat me like that was pure BS. I will try to call IA today and complain.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:51 am

Mrbone - Please let us know what you hear. You definitely had a bad experience and the cop who tried to take your pistol did a very poor job of that, just from a gun safety perspective, not to mention public relations and possibly procedural perspective too. Where were you when you were pulled over?
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby economod » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:34 pm

getvicious wrote:Check the law - some places you're required to inform a cop if you're armed - some you're not.

Mrbone ...
Did they ever ask/demand to see your CCW license first, or just start ripping at your holster?
Could be an illegal search & seizure. Did they draw their weapons? Take you belly down? Cuffs?
I hope that IA takes your complaint seriously.

I have a lifetime Indiana "License To Carry Handgun", and can carry open or concealed. I am not required to inform, but it is recommended. My old license is just paper, so I keep the original in my cabinet and carry a copy in my wallet. Indiana recently began issuing plastic card licenses, and I can upgrade to one for $20, but it's not required.

However, in my two nearest neighboring states which honor my Indiana license, I am required to inform, and there are widely different constraints. In Ohio it must be concealed, and I "shall promptly inform", and make no attempts to handle the weapon. And in Michigan it must be concealed, and I "shall immediately disclose", and can have the weapon seized for failure to show my license, along with stiff fines and suspensions.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:53 pm

Pinellas park Florida. Yes he asked for my licence first. Told him my ccw weapon was above my wallet where my licence was. That's when he said put your hands on the bars and keep them there and ripped my holster off. Didn't even touch the clips just ripped it off. Not to mention it was very dark out. They did not cuff me or take me down.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby MARINE DIVISION TWO » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:53 pm

Many variables to being pulled over,but did he see your gun before the stop ? He could have been mistaken but his excuse was probable cause.In any event submit and wait for the outcome.This scenario ended well. JMO/MDT
MARINE DIVISION TWO
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Of course he didn't see it before the stop. And having a cop rip your legal firearm from you over a false stop, is not a good ending. Even if my plate would have been expired, would that have been cause to remove my weapon?
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:19 pm

Mrbone wrote:Even if my plate would have been expired, would that have been cause to remove my weapon?

No. Heck no.

Florida issues waay more CCW permits than any other state. You'd think their LE would be trained better than anywhere else to react judiciously and with discretion when facing similar situations with law-abiding, permitted citizens. And like you implied previously, Florida law doesn't even required you to inform. And it's just a small fine if you don't show your permit. I'd be pissed too.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
http://www.crimepreventionresearchcente ... States.pdf
Last edited by economod on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby sccytoter » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Was the cop a young one? Just curious.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:08 pm

40s maybe late 30s
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby sccytoter » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:48 pm

Mrbone wrote:40s maybe late 30s

Old enough to know better. Some of the younger ones seem to act kinda like Pit Bulls. :roll:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Carry