first time pullover with ccw.... went terrible!

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

Re: first time pullover with ccw.... went terrible!

Postby MARINE DIVISION TWO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:03 am

Mrbone wrote:Of course he didn't see it before the stop. And having a cop rip your legal firearm from you over a false stop, is not a good ending. Even if my plate would have been expired, would that have been cause to remove my weapon?

Again, Probable Cause ! He secured your weapon until he ascertained you had you CCW ! He may have cause to take your firearm temporarily to feel safer,You do not know what kind of call he just came from and gave him a heightened saftey net to follow.Like I said many variables. JMO/MDT :bdh:
MARINE DIVISION TWO
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:52 pm

I don't care what call he came from. Makes zero difference. You don't rip a man's hidden gun off, that he informed you of, without a reason. It is NOT standard procedure and Florida has over a million and a half gun licenses and I've never heard of this happening. My father is a retired cop from small town Ohio where stupid crap like this is likely to happen and he was APPALLED that this happened.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:54 pm

abso.......lutely

Mrbone ... I commend you for maintaining your poise and not escalating the atrocity.
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:27 pm

well... An interesting thing just happened. I was flying along on my bike going to meet my wife at a show and speeding a bit. I pulled into the left turn lane and as I was sitting there waiting for the light to turn green I looked in my mirror, cop behind me. Turns his lights on. Its the exact same cop from the other night the one that ripped my gun off. He came up to me and said you just flew by me this is your only warning clapped me on the back and got back in his car and left.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby mikeMAGNUM » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:35 am

Hey Mrbone
Your "scooter" isn't in need of a paint job, is it?......just sayin :whist:
Staying focused.....Always diligently vigilant
mikeMAGNUM
Seasoned Member

Postby Mrbone » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:16 am

Nope. It's in almost perfect condition.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby Ricksza » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Mrbone wrote:He came up to me and said you just flew by me this is your only warning clapped me on the back and got back in his car and left.

Of course, he's not going to say he did anything wrong the first time, but I think he's just trying to show you he's not all bad.
Ricksza

FBI admits you are being watched

Postby Snap On Man » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:08 pm

http://washingtonpost.com.co/fbi-admits ... gang-list/
I found this article interesting! I am not sure if anyone on here has seen this. If you ride a motorcycle you are labeled a criminal.
Snap On Man

Postby mikeMAGNUM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:06 am

Snap On Man wrote:http://washingtonpost.com.co/fbi-admits-all-registered-motorcycle-owners-are-on-classified-gang-list/
I found this article interesting! I am not sure if anyone on here has seen this. If you ride a motorcycle you are labeled a criminal.

Not only those of us that ride but anyone who has had a motorcycle endoresment on their DL.

Hell, most of us are on so many "lists" already one more don't make no nevermind :roll:
Keep the Faith folks, Lord willin' one day we'll get this Country back the way it should be.
Like my Wife tells me "take care of yourself so you can live long enough to see it"
Staying focused.....Always diligently vigilant
mikeMAGNUM
Seasoned Member

Postby Mrbone » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:38 pm

Yeah they kept asking me if I was in the outlaw bike gang. I was like, sure they love Honda's lol.
So anyway I went on vacation Sunday, back to Ohio where I'm from. Spent yesterday in Georgia, today in Tennessee and Kentucky. I have been open carrying this whole trip, for the first time. Not even a dirty look so far. Went into chik fil-a that was packed for lunch, had zero problems.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby wrearick » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:45 pm

economod wrote:
getvicious wrote:Check the law - some places you're required to inform a cop if you're armed - some you're not.

Mrbone ...
Did they ever ask/demand to see your CCW license first, or just start ripping at your holster?
Could be an illegal search & seizure. Did they draw their weapons? Take you belly down? Cuffs?
I hope that IA takes your complaint seriously.

I have a lifetime Indiana "License To Carry Handgun", and can carry open or concealed. I am not required to inform, but it is recommended. My old license is just paper, so I keep the original in my cabinet and carry a copy in my wallet. Indiana recently began issuing plastic card licenses, and I can upgrade to one for $20, but it's not required.

However, in my two nearest neighboring states which honor my Indiana license, I am required to inform, and there are widely different constraints. In Ohio it must be concealed, and I "shall promptly inform", and make no attempts to handle the weapon. And in Michigan it must be concealed, and I "shall immediately disclose", and can have the weapon seized for failure to show my license, along with stiff fines and suspensions.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

You need to check your reference again....both Ohio and Michigan allow open carry (Michigan more restrictive than Ohio) and I could find no requirement that it "Must be concealed" for either state. Here is the quote from:

OHIO: Open Carry is legal but you must have a valid permit/license to carry to carry a handgun in a vehicle. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a vehicle. (note OHIO honors ALL other states permits so you are covered if you open carry in your car since you have an Indiana permit)

Michigan: Open Carry is legal with restrictions. You must have a valid permit/license to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle in Michigan. For Residents of Michigan without a CPL you must carry a firearm registered to you. For Non Residents if you do not have a permit/license from your state of residents Concealed and/or Open Carry is not an option for you. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above may not apply to those who open carry. (See state orgs for more information on places off limits when open carrying) Those who Open Carry without a valid Permit/License to Carry “Can’t” carry on the property of businesses that sell Alcohol and this includes Grocery Stores that sell alcohol. Open Carry is common in Michigan more so in the rural areas.
Michigan honors all other states Resident Permits/Licenses to carry concealed firearms. (Non-Resident permits have separate restrictions). You can not a carry a loaded firearm in any vehicle without a Valid Permit/License to Carry.

(So by virtue of your Indiana Permit I see you as being allowed to Open Carry in Michigan as well)
wrearick
Veteran Member

Postby wrearick » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:20 pm

and from the Michigan State Police Legal Update No. 86. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/M ... 6854_7.pdf
Open carry of firearms
In Michigan, it is legal for a person to carry a firearm in public as long as the person is carrying the firearm with lawful intent and the firearm is not concealed. You will not find a law that states it is legal to openly carry a firearm. It is legal because there is no Michigan law that prohibits it; however, Michigan law limits the premises on which a person may carry a firearm..........A CPL holder is not required by law to carry a pistol concealed. A CPL holder may carry a pistol concealed or non-concealed........There is no way to “open carry” a pistol in a vehicle. An individual, without a CPL or otherwise exempted (e.g., a police officer), who transports a pistol in a vehicle to an area where he or she intends to “open carry” may be in violation of MCL 750.227.
wrearick
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Carry