CC decided not to persue shooter

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

Agree / Disagree

Agree with CC decision
92%
Disagree with CC decision
8%

Total votes : 12

CC decided not to persue shooter

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Do you agree with his decision and reasons?

Why / Why Not?

Article
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Re: CC decided not to persue shooter

Postby mikeMAGNUM » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:31 am

CC holder states in article that he was not in close proximity to shooter.
I believe I would have played it the same, not being an LEO I feel my duty is to protect myself and those directly around me not going after trouble or being a vigilante.
Staying focused.....Always diligently vigilant
mikeMAGNUM
Seasoned Member

Postby Mrbone » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:26 am

I agree only because of how far away he was. If he was in the same building or room he should have done something.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:58 am

I am not military, LE, or gunfight trained in any sense.
IMO the CC made the right decision to stay put, for more reasons than I can describe.

The CC doesn't know how many shooters, and could be sacrificing the group he was protecting, if he had left.
The CC was armed with what? A 2-shot derringer? A 5-shot 22lr? A 6-shot 380? Extra ammo?
The CC doesn't know what firepower he'd be up against, but should assume he is waay underpowered.
The CC could have been eliminated by SWAT, who were undoubtedly coming.
The shooter(s) could have been wearing body armor (which was true).
The shooter(s) could have been watching for outside intruders from rifle distance.
The shooter(s) could have looked like any other student, perhaps even another CC. Who shoots at who?
etc
economod
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:59 am

Something from a legal standpoint to consider...

Civilians can carry for self defense only.

If a civilian hunts a person (any person) from building to building, over an area of 100 acres, that civilian departs the realm of self-defense and may be considered to be an aggressor.

Conceal Carry Permit / License holders have very specific laws (and limits) to abide by. Most places, looking for a person to engage with your gun makes you an active shooter.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wrearick » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:17 pm

He stated he took efforts to protect those in his immediate vicinity. Pursuit of a bad guy falls outside of the definition of self defense, he/they were not in fear of their life and running towards the threat would be hard to justify or legally defend.
wrearick
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:40 pm

Mrbone wrote:I agree only because of how far away he was. If he was in the same building or room he should have done something.

I think the gun I carry is for SELF defense.. I carry all of the responsibility and liability that comes with carrying a gun..
Am I suppose to take on the liability (Legal and Civil Lawsuits) on to protect others that did not feel the need or actively speak against carrying a weapon??
If the threat comes to me, I will do my best to stop the threat.. If that saves others Lives, that's a bonus!
IF everyone on campus had carried, the shooter probably would have gotten very far.. IF I'm the only one carrying a gun, it's my job to protect them all?? I don't think so..

This may sound like Chicken S#!7, but the liability is real and I carry to protect myself and my family... If others want to wait for 911... That is their choice...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:43 pm

He could have gotten by with killing the shooter but legally as well as ethically I think he did the right thing. As others stated self defense doesn't mean seeking out criminals. He had no choice but to defend those around him.
mkiker2089
Seasoned Member

Return to Carry