What are your experiences with police?

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

What are your experiences with police?

Postby 777Driver » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:59 pm

I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. Last year I was driving in town with my wife, and I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop (yeah, I was speeding). There must be something on his computer that tells him I have a CCW permit, because the first thing he said to me was "Is there a weapon in the car?". I've never been asked that before. I wasn't carrying at that particular time, so I said no. He then proceeded to berate me and question me in a very abrasive manner. He was so beligerent during the entire event, it seemed like he was deliberately trying to provoke a confrontation. I bit my tongue, and didn't take the bait. After he gave me a ticket and left, my wife said that she had never experienced anything like that before. I told her that some cops (usually older/experienced officers) appreciate CCW holders because they know we are law abiding citizens, while other cops (younger/less experienced) feel that only the police should be allowed to have guns. This officer was obviously in the latter group.
777Driver

Re: What are your experiences with police?

Postby RoyOdhner » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:02 pm

I've been pulled over twice, and both times I never gave the officer(s) the opportunity to ask. I just turned on the dome light, kept my hand on the steering wheel, and told them that the gun was on my hip at 3'oclock. I handed them my CHL and DL cuz I figure they're keyed-up enough as it is, and I'm not paranoid about telling them. Both times the officers visibly relaxed, thanked me, and let me go with warnings - even though I was clearly speeding. Most cops here in Texas that I know are cool w/concealed carry, and I know two that actually offer CHL training and courses.
RoyOdhner

Postby jcwit » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:07 pm

I try to obey the rules of the road and seldom get pulled over. Last time was over a year ago for burned out headlight.

I live in a small town and know all the officers, good people. They even stop in and visit in the summer when my wife & I are out on porch enjoying life.

I'm active with our local service org's and am not a drinker other than a small glass of wine that the Dr. says is good for me before turning in.

Life is good. Oh, BTW, I'm 72! :lol: :lol:

I should add I'm friends with our County Sheriff also.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby RichLP » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:35 am

I married one... so far, my experience has been great!
RichLP

Postby getvicious » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:32 am

RichLP wrote:I married one... so far, my experience has been great!

Perfect! Talk about "up close and personal." :lol:

BTW - Howdy and welcome from NC.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby RichLP » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:57 am

getvicious wrote:
RichLP wrote:I married one... so far, my experience has been great!

Perfect! Talk about "up close and personal." :lol:

BTW - Howdy and welcome from NC.

Thanks! Just got a CPX-2, so I've been reading a lot here, but this was the first thread I just HAD to respond to...lol
RichLP

Postby chico » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:25 am

As a retired OPP I'll give you the prospective from the officers view ,first be polite and keep your hands in plain view on the wheel,I would suggest do not volunteer any imfo follow his directions and provide necessary paperwork ,now relax if this is a simple traffic stop there should be no need to inform him of your weapon,unless he asks outrite then of course give him the type of gun the location and it's state of ready,even if you do'nt have a carry permit m ost states allow you to retain a firearm in your car as long as it is not in plain view,the officers biggest concern is for his safety so if your not nervous he should'nt be either ,the most dangerous officer is a rooky that is nervous his finger is already close to the trigger and more so if the odds are a bunch of rude young toughs .But for most of us this should be a mild inconveniece.I have carried a gun my whole life (63yrs old) legally most of the time but at times it has been politically incorrect but I carried anyway ,I not suggesting you ignore the law and carry without a permit but when your life or that of your family is at stake well you have to decide for yourself whats important, if your very discreet no one is the wiser as long as you act accordingly,point in case the movie THe Brave One .if you have seen the movie you get my point.
chico

Postby Mrbone » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:40 pm

Several months back i was pulled over at 10pm or so on my motorcycle. Had my cpx at 5 oclock iwb. Cop asks for lisence and registration. My wallet was right above my gun. So i said officer my lisence and ccw lisence are in my wallet but it is right under my firearm. He twlls me to put my hands on the bars. He then grab s my holster and starts JERKING IN A FRANTIC FASHION. Rips my loaded chambered cpx off of me in the dark on the side of the road. A large 2 metal clip iwb hybrid holster. More cops come' about 7 or 8 and they are surrounding me saying wheres the gun. So finally i said why am i pulled over? Cop says your lisence was suspended. I know that it isnt so i argued. My lisence plate had a tiny bit of wrinkling in one corner but was perfectly legible. This cop says to me your lisence is suspended why are you driving? I said check it again. So he does and says im sorry i read it wrong. My plate number was 9595 and 2 lettwrs i wont say. Impossible he read it wrong. Finally after asking me if i was in a biker gang, he handed me back my gun and said the guy one digit off of my plate must be suspended and let me go. I wont inform again.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby scr3wballl » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:17 pm

As a friend of several smaller town cops and county sheriffs, as well as a few former larger city cops (that came to the small town/county to get away from the serious crap of big cities), their #1 piece of advise is no surprises: hands on the wheel, always notify of the gun before reaching anywhere. The wording used is the biggest aspect that can mean the difference between relaxed problem-free exchange, or the cop slamming you on the ground. Also remember that just as in public, there are good cops that know the law (most of them), and there are bad cops that don't give a s--t. #2 is pull out your wallet first and get out your ID (and concealed permit if required by the state).

Good: "Just informing you I have a 9mm pistol on my hip in its holster, it has 9 in the magazine and one in the chamber." Or "there is a 9mm pistol in the glove box where the registration is, it has 9 in the magazine and one in the chamber."

Bad: I have a gun.

Good comment with good cop, he will usually say "ok keep your hands on the wheel and I will be right back after checking your information".
A cautious/mediocre/suspicious cop will ask you to step out and he will remove it from your hip, clear the mag and chamber, and explain he will be running the gun to make sure its not stolen. Shouldn't be any problem (as long as it isn't stolen and you're not a criminal or banned from owing guns).
A bad cop will pull his gun, make you get out at gun point, hands on your head and force it off your hip without regard to damage to the gun or holster (or you), or open your passenger door and reach in to remove it from the glove box (illegal without your permission). After disarmed, usually will make you sit on the curb like a criminal as he runs the ID, permit and registration. After everything clears they will usually lecture you as if you're a career criminal that just doesn't have any warrants or outstanding tickets at that moment. All you can do is shake your head and say "yes sir". If he tries to take the gun and say you can pick it up at the station, politely refuse to let him take it and tell him to get his sergeant there (has happened too often with bad cops), and is illegal in all 50 states unless there is suspicion of a felony.

Your best option is be aware of the law, and don't be an idiot (shouldn't be a problem with this group).
CPX2 CBDE 248xxx
scr3wballl

Postby 777Driver » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:37 pm

I like the advise of scr3wball. However, if I am carrying, the first words out of my mouth will be "I have a Concealed Carry Permit". Then I will tell him what weapon I have, and where it is located (all with my hands on the wheel). Then I will ask "How would you like me to proceed?"
777Driver

Postby rogertc1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:46 am

In Iowa they have you listed as a CCW person if they do a traffic stop.
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby randy726w » Wed May 11, 2016 11:55 am

777Driver wrote:I like the advise of scr3wball. However, if I am carrying, the first words out of my mouth will be "I have a Concealed Carry Permit". Then I will tell him what weapon I have, and where it is located (all with my hands on the wheel). Then I will ask "How would you like me to proceed?"

This is what is recommended by the licensing folks in a training session I saw after I got my license. Don't say "I have a gun" or "I'm armed". Let them know you are a CCW permit holder and let them take it from there.
randy726w

Postby randy726w » Wed May 11, 2016 11:57 am

rogertc1 wrote:In Iowa they have you listed as a CCW person if they do a traffic stop.

In Florida it's not. We don't even have to register weapons here. There are no lists of gun owners or permit holders. Pretty cool.
randy726w

Postby Merc6 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:34 am

For me my plates and drivers license is marked military so they ask each time. Never registered any guns just have background checks for attempting to purchase various pistols and long gun.

In VA open carry was my thing. When pulled over it was either in my waistband or on my seat. Neither time did I feel like today is the day I die for being foolishly young and running late for work. Now that I'm older I'm not as pro open carry as I was back then.
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
SW1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
Glock 17 Gen 3
PF940 V1.5
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby Hektor » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:09 pm

chico wrote:As a retired OPP I'll give you the prospective from the officers view ,first be polite and keep your hands in plain view on the wheel,I would suggest do not volunteer any imfo follow his directions and provide necessary paperwork ,now relax if this is a simple traffic stop there should be no need to inform him of your weapon,unless he asks outrite then of course give him the type of gun the location and it's state of ready,even if you do'nt have a carry permit m ost states allow you to retain a firearm in your car as long as it is not in plain view,the officers biggest concern is for his safety so if your not nervous he should'nt be either ,the most dangerous officer is a rooky that is nervous his finger is already close to the trigger and more so if the odds are a bunch of rude young toughs .But for most of us this should be a mild inconveniece.I have carried a gun my whole life (63yrs old) legally most of the time but at times it has been politically incorrect but I carried anyway ,I not suggesting you ignore the law and carry without a permit but when your life or that of your family is at stake well you have to decide for yourself whats important, if your very discreet no one is the wiser as long as you act accordingly,point in case the movie THe Brave One .if you have seen the movie you get my point.

Hi. I agree with the first part of your post. However, here in Ohio, armed CCW permit holders are required to immediately give notice at the beginning of any police encounter. Failure to do so is a crime and could possibly get one killed if the encounter goes south. Transporting a firearm without a CCW permit is permitted, but there are stipulations on the weapon and the ammunition being inside the passenger area of the vehicle at the same time. The legislature went to great lengths just to define "unloaded." Laws vary and it is important to know those laws, especially when travelling.
Hektor

Next

Return to Carry