WOULD YOU HELP AN OFFICER THAT IS BEING ATTACKED?

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

WOULD YOU HELP AN OFFICER THAT IS BEING ATTACKED?

Postby HootmonSccy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:34 am

I see the question "WOULD YOU HELP AN OFFICER THAT IS BEING ATTACKED?" come up from time to time.
I think it's easy to say yes to that question (at least for some)
The below article give you a reason to think about the answer to that question...

ARTICLE

It is not unlike the question about if your armed at a school, mall, etc and there is an armed attack.
Sometimes it is hard for a Police officer that is running toward a situation (adrenaline pumping) to assess who is the good guys and who is the bad.
A quick assumption is that anyone not in uniform with a gun, is a bad guy!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Re: WOULD YOU HELP AN OFFICER THAT IS BEING ATTACKED?

Postby jayel » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:06 am

recent case.. shoot out at a police station, black undercover officer shot by another cop, besides being a black man with a gun he wasn't in uniform therefore instant target
Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?
jayel

Postby jeff7181 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:43 am

If you do want to, make sure you get the officer's permission. Ask if they want help, otherwise keep your distance so they don't consider you a threat and unnecessarily escalate the situation, injuring you or the person attacking them. Even then, be aware that another office approaching the scene may not realize you're helping and consider you a threat as well.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:11 pm

jeff7181 wrote: Even then, be aware that another office approaching the scene may not realize you're helping and consider you a threat as well.

Exactly
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Pony Soldier » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:24 pm

If you're in plain clothes, street clothes, garden clothes, grungy clothes, or no clothes, don't think about it. If you think you should get invloved make sure you are at least wearing a hat that just might identify you as one of the good guys. A gun fight is visual, not mental, but confusing, and fast, very, very fast. Why do
you conceal carry? For your own self defense, right? Don't assume you are capable. Be safe, dont assume, you'll be wrong.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:15 am

This is a legal and moral question.

I am not a credentialed police officer. In this state there is no provision for "citizen's arrest". I cannot engage in a gun fight unless my life is threatened. I am legally required to run away if I can before I use my gun. The "castle doctrine / stand your ground" law only applies to my home, car and place of business.

I am not a cop. I would help in whatever action the police officer asked me to do - IF I'm asked. If I'm not asked to help, I would seek to remove myself (and family members / friends / others if possible) from harms way.

As a CCW holder, I have very specific and limited actions I can legally take. Acting like a cop is not part of those actions.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Return to Carry