Looking for some practical open carry tips

Concealed Carry or Open Carry. Here's the place to be for Practical Carry Topics.

Re: Looking for some practical open carry tips

Postby wrench459 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Make dang sure that you fully understand ALL federal,state and local laws that governs open carry.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 pm

I mean this seriously..
WHY???
If there is a store robbery of other bad situation, it is possible that the Bad guys have already ID'ed you as a problem with their plan and want to take you out 1st before you know that something bad is about to go down, OR people around you will be pointing at you to save them in a bad situation..
I prefer conceal carry whether open carry is legal or not.
I am not saying that open carry should not be legal, I just don't get the positives of doing it over conceal carry..
But that is just me..
I hope you find your answers and carry in a very responsible manner..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby wrench459 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:59 pm

HootmonSccy wrote:I hope you find your answers and carry in a very responsible manner..

^^^ +1 this
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby TrapperBob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:08 pm

HootmonSccy wrote:I mean this seriously..
WHY???
If there is a store robbery of other bad situation, it is possible that the Bad guys have already ID'ed you as a problem with their plan and want to take you out 1st before you know that something bad is about to go down, OR people around you will be pointing at you to save them in a bad situation..
I prefer conceal carry whether open carry is legal or not.
I am not saying that open carry should not be legal, I just don't get the positives of doing it over conceal carry..
But that is just me..
I hope you find your answers and carry in a very responsible manner..

When I open carry it's because either 1) I'm carrying in the woods, on my way to the woods, or back from the woods (fishing or hunting usually), and I carry a full-size firearm, or 2) I'm carrying in one of the few places that in NC where it is legal to open carry but illegal to conceal carry, which actually are specific State Game Lands, so it's really covered by number 1. I've open carried in various grocery stores and at gas stations on my way to/from fishing or hunting, but not otherwise.

But if I'm open carrying, it isn't a subcompact pistol like a SCCY. A SCCY is clearly intended to be a concealed carry pistol, if you're open carrying anyway there's no reason to limit yourself to a subcompact gun (unless of course that's all you have, which is fine, not everyone has a collection of guns to choose from.)
TrapperBob

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Thanx Bob.. All that seems reasonable..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Renaldow » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:44 pm

JensenBreck wrote:Hello,

I finally purchased a holster for open carry and now I have questions before I actually go out and open carry. Does anyone have any tips, websites, youtube videos, etc on how to open carry?

As for leaning on the gun, that comes with time and comfort levels. Many people tend to lean on it for various reasons. Mostly it's a subconcious way to know it's still there without placing your hand on it or being to obvious.

Strong side/weak side. Always best to keep your strong side away from people you are concerned about. This keeps your body between them and your firearm and helps prevent problems. Keeping in moid that a gun grab attempt would be a rare occurance.

I've seen you guys mention strong side vs weak side, resting your elbow on the gun, and things like that. Do you want to keep your strong side or weak side towards someone that is questionable? Why one vs the other?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

What holster are you using to carry the SCCY in? I ask because I haven't seen an OC holster designed for the SCCY and am curious. It's not a gun I would do OC with, it's fairly small for that. Usually you OC a full sized pistol, but no law saying you have to.

If you're leaning on the gun, you shouldn't be doing OC. Regardless of the type of carry, if you are constantly handling and touching the gun, you shouldn't have it on you. It's not going to do any good other than to tell people you have a gun and an itchy finger. One of the things I learned in LE was that when someone is like that with their pistol, it means they're either new and shouldn't have it, or they're going to be using it soon. So, enjoy and take your chances with that if you refuse to train yourself out of doing it. No, it doesn't go away with time, but you can train yourself by wearing it around the house and kicking the habit before you go out into the world with it.

You want to keep your back to someone you think is a threat, as you walk away. Another tip, you're likely not finding what you want online because you're asking questions about gun fighting, not about self defense.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Return to Carry