100% Background Check Already The Law Here

"Debate is the servant of truth." Richard Alan Gordon, Georgetown law professor. Not a forum for the thin-of-skin!

100% Background Check Already The Law Here

Postby getvicious » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:47 am

The idea of 100% background checks being required to purchase a gun is a popular topic today. I remembered seeing something about that in the NC law when I was looking to but my SCCY pistol and considering a CCW back in 2010.

I went looking deeper a few minutes ago and find that NC has required 100% Background Checks for the purchase of a handgun from Any Source (dealer or private) for a long time.

Anybody know of anything like this in your state?

See the reference below.

http://ncja.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/a18f57fc-d990-43f0-8982-feb1f4c72deb/NC-Firearms-Laws-Pub-2011.aspx
NC-Firearms-Laws-Pub-2011.pdf, pages 1 - 4.
To sum up the 4 pages of text - The Brady Law requires a NICS Background Check to purchase a gun from a dealer (FFL) - The Brady Law allows alternatives to the NICS Check, the NC Pistol Permit and Concealed Handgun Permit are both recognized as an allowed alternative to the NICS Check - Under NC law it's not lawfuf "for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction typically at a sporting goods store but also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen Stat. 14-402(a)"
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Re: 100% Background Check Already The Law Here

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm

So... Will / Do criminals get their guns thru FFL's?...
So, the law only effects law abiding citizens... Again...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:37 pm

HootmonSccy wrote:So... Will / Do criminals get their guns thru FFL's?...
So, the law only effects law abiding citizens... Again...

True.

parkerd wrote:Right - so the only effect is to create more paperwork and greater wait time for the non-criminal element. The only person who makes out is the FFL who makes a small commission on the transaction. One rationale is that it will keep the guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. ?????????????????????????????????? Can you tell who is mentally ill by looking at them or by the why they complete the application? Since there is no state registry of mentally ill it doesn't appear to me to be of any use.

It's not small now for many FFL's. According to the GunBroker FFL locator the local FFL's here charge $50 for an Internet transfer for a handgun now.
Imagine what that price will be when they are protected by law as literally being the only game in town? I may have to get an FFL just to specialize in transfers. If the going rate here is $50, I could charge $35 and probably do pretty well.... 8)
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby HenryinFlorida » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:10 pm

I understand that bad guys will get their guns one way or the other, but I would not be against keeping guns out of the hands of the wacko's of the world, just not sure how to check someone's mental health.
HenryinFlorida
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 pm

parkerd wrote:You better get that FFL quick, because once Walmart realizes there is money to be made they will be setting up an "FFL transfer desk" in the front area of every store and give a 10% discount if you have a Walmart card. Or maybe they will train the greeters and you can complete the transaction on the way in.

If KMart wasn't going down the toilet they could do it too and offer periodic discounts. Instead of "Blue Light Specials" they can call it "Saturday Night Specials".

Brilliant! :lol:
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wrench459 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:53 pm

I'm all for the stupid background filters to be removed.

If guns where outlawed
Only outlaws would have guns.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Return to Political Jabbering