Private gun sales

"Debate is the servant of truth." Richard Alan Gordon, Georgetown law professor. Not a forum for the thin-of-skin!

Private gun sales

Postby economod » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:36 am

For the rest of time, I can be held accountable for the whereabouts of any gun that I own ar have ever owned, in the event that it was ever used in a crime. If it's ever traced to me, I best have hard evidence of what I did with it.

In my few private gun transactions, I require several valid forms of ID, which must be recorded on a bill of sale. That's made clear before meeting. If that's not agreeable, then it's not gonna happen. Simple as that.

Like the cpx that sccy replaced. I don't know what they did with it. But I have their paperwork stating both serial numbers. I keep that. And I have a bill of sale, which the buyer completed, when I sold the replacement. I keep that. It's a paper trail, for my own protection.

All states have different laws concerning gun sales, and each requires its own personal diligence. There's usually the option of meeting at a LGS, and having them perform a formal FFL transfer and background check, for a fee.

Armslist is a valuable resource when used wisely. Beware of its potential. Educate. What if it goes away?
economod
Veteran Member

Re: Private gun sales

Postby Mrbone » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:09 pm

What if it does? Here in FL there is no registry or paperwork required for personal sales. If i sell my gun and some idiot commits a crime its the ATFs problem not mine. They would have to prove that it was you that committed the crime and it's highly doubtful that that would happen if you really sold your gun
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:31 pm

That's the exact scenario that could potentially occur. The BATF uncovers a 4473 with my name on it and comes knocking on my door. I'd MUCH rather simply hand them a sheet of paper that shows them who to talk to, than engage in a heated argument over something that's entirely out of my control. That might be the only good reason to require a detailed bill of sale, but I can't think of a single good reason not to.

I haven't had anyone complain about completing a bill of sale, and I provide an additional copy to the buyer. In fact, one guy even gave me a blank copy of the bill of sale that he uses. And, when emailing with an interested <Armslist> anonymous party, requiring a detailed bill of sale helps to weed out shady characters that I'd prefer not to meet. And believe me, I've had some real wackos interested in my ads. In that sense, a detailed bill of sale is a simple but effective screen.

Like I said before, it's made clear before meeting, and if it's not agreeable, then it's not gonna happen.
Simple as that.

<edit>Armslist
Last edited by economod on Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Definitely not a bad idea.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:28 am

Interesting blog about private gun sales ...
http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/priva ... face-face/

imband
economod
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:44 pm

economod wrote:Interesting blog about private gun sales ...
http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/priva ... face-face/

imband

A lot of those tips are good for Craig's List sales or any other in person exchange. A little care and situational awareness goes a long way toward keeping you safe.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Return to Political Jabbering