Purchasing from Gunbroker.com (or any other online site)

Cocktails will be served nightly! Use this area for off topic discussions and to discuss the finer things in life. Great cigars, spirits, fine automobiles, motorcycles, aircraft, you get the idea!

Re: Purchasing from Gunbroker.com (or any other online site)

Postby getvicious » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:08 pm

jeff7181 wrote:I don't intend to buy a gun online again so I don't really care what the ramifications are in terms of my standing with gunbroker.

However, I have offered to pay the seller's auction fee so he may relist it without losing any money.

That's a very fair, reasonable offer. If I was the seller I'd jump on that and not leave any negative feedback but would rather leave positive feedback. Nobody really looses with your offer.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jeff7181 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:20 pm

getvicious wrote:
jeff7181 wrote:I don't intend to buy a gun online again so I don't really care what the ramifications are in terms of my standing with gunbroker.

However, I have offered to pay the seller's auction fee so he may relist it without losing any money.

That's a very fair, reasonable offer. If I was the seller I'd jump on that and not leave any negative feedback but would rather leave positive feedback. Nobody really looses with your offer.

Apparently he doesn't agree, he filed a non-paying bidder report today. Oh well... he'll get none of my money then.

I think the reason he doesn't want to relist and wants to try to force me to pay is because his auction was overpriced compared to others out there and won't get the same price I bid easily. Granted, the gun was in really good condition, but I think some people buying a used service pistol don't care about cosmetics and may even just want parts to repair one they already own.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby GKC » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm sorry for your experience. I'm not sure mine will help, but I'll offer what I have.

I've bought a lot of guns locally, but on six occasions I've bought guns from two internet dealers: Bud's Guns and Gun Genie. In the case of my order from Bud's (just one gun, a SIG P229) they had on their list a FFL about 15 miles from me who charged $25 transfer fee. It was a fast, painless process, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again, based on that experience. Why did I buy that gun from Buds? They had the model I wanted in the configuration I wanted, at a lower price (which included free shipping) than I could buy locally...even with the transfer fee...IF I could have found one locally.

I've bought 5 guns from Gun Genie, in four cases because they had the gun I wanted and no one locally did. The prices were competitive, and fees were shown up front, so I could select from a number of dealers. Their offers do vary, sometimes significantly, so even if I have to drive longer, the lower price works out in my favor. If there isn't enough difference to make it worthwhile, I'll just buy from the closest dealer, even if it's a little more. In one case, I bought a gun from Gun Genie because the maker (Beretta) only has a limited warranty and, IMO, poor customer service...Gun Genie provides its own lifetime warranty. They were higher on this gun than I could buy it for locally, but not that much higher...and I liked the lifetime warranty versus the limited warranty provided by Beretta. (And no, I am not affiliated with Gun Genie in any way.) Interestingly, all but one of the local shops I frequent are not dealers on Gun Genie.
GKC
Seasoned Member

Postby TexasLookout » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Its a risk if you purchase from someone who is not a FFL. Its the eagerness we all have and over looking signals we sense but still proceed. In order to satisfy our desire of the Found it Finally.

I nearly was taken a couple months back via a internet purchase. It was a beauty and price fair. The seller had his FFL contact me and sure looked good to me. However with the tools of the internet

1. First things first I checked out the physical address using reverse lookup, then a good ole google street map walking in front of the business/home/neighborhood and then doing a Satellite fly over and zooming right in on the location.

things started to not look so good to me.

2. But still I am ready to buy.

3. The seller and his FFL sent me a copy of their FFL Certificate.

4. I am feeling better again.

5. Plus I have everyone's phone number.

6. But still I had that feeling if you know what I am talking about.

7. So I went over to the ATF site and checked the FFL Certificate and you know what ? It had been altered / forged.

8. The FFL Certificate name had been filled in with the supposedly FFL sellers agent.

9. I would have been out a considerably amount of money since it was a money order transaction.

10. Of course I notified ATF.

11. My personal two cents is using a credit card to pay the additional percentage is worth it to me from now on.
TexasLookout
Seasoned Member

Postby jeff7181 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:05 pm

parkerd wrote:I know this online thing is the wave of the future, but I rarely buy online unless it is some small trinket. I have never found an online items where I couldn't find the same thing at a similar price locally if I negotiated. The few things I bought online a while ago turned out to be a hassle. One arrived broken and it was a nightmare to return it and get a replacement. Not sure I would buy something as critical or expensive as a firearm online. If you buy online you accept the problems and issues. I don't choose too. Maybe just too old.

Guns are a different animal because of the regulation involved in transferring owners.

Other stuff, even high dollar stuff I have no problem buying online, especially from reputable businesses. For example, I've spent over $10,000 over the past 10 years or so at newegg.com.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:07 pm

I have found that unless you can't find the gun locally, and you really have a fire in your belly to have one. Then a gun auction may be your only choice. But you're right after paying all the fees and shipping, that $300 LLama .380 or that hard to find Kel-tec P40 may have just cost you over $400. :shock: Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get what you want. Thats why I like going to hole in the wall pawn shops and mom and pop gun stores. You just never know when you'll find a nugget! :wink:
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to The Aloha Deck