Purchasing from Gunbroker.com (or any other online site)

Cocktails will be served nightly! Use this area for off topic discussions and to discuss the finer things in life. Great cigars, spirits, fine automobiles, motorcycles, aircraft, you get the idea!

Purchasing from Gunbroker.com (or any other online site)

Postby jeff7181 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:39 am

Just thought I'd share my experience so far with purchasing a gun from gunbroker.com. I imagine a lot of my experience will translate to other sites too, especially auction sites.

Most gun stores around me in South-East Michigan charge $40 to process an FFL transfer. I found one that said $25, and an individual that said $20.
Shipping handguns via approved methods typically costs around another $40 via FedEx or UPS. Some sellers insist on shipping next day air, which I learned from North Carolina to Michigan is about $70.
Most gun stores (around me) will not accept a handgun shipped from an unlicensed individual.

This has been a real pain in my ass... still don't have my gun and haven't found a place that has confirmed they will accept it from an unlicensed individual and haven't heard back from the seller yet as to whether they are able to have it shipped from an FFL dealer. I imagine that's going to cost extra... my $350 gun is now approaching $500 with the shipping and all these misc. fees. I think if the next few gun shops I still need to check with require it to be shipped from an FFL dealer and the seller doesn't have the means to ship from an FFL dealer or will pass a fee along to me to do so, I'm just going to back out of the auction.

Anyone else have any wisdom to offer for my situation?
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Re: Purchasing from Gunbroker.com (or any other online site)

Postby wknight40 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Was looking at similar with buying ammo online. I do not have the funds to buy a lot at one time. For me $30 for a something I'm going to shoot in about an hour is ruff. Around here 9mm Luger runs right about $23 for a box of 50. This is just plain ball ammo. Online I have found the same ammo for $18 plus another $10 S&H. and it is cheaper to get local. Now if I buy more and can get progressively cheaper and eventually come out a head. Just a matter of getting the funds together to purchase more at a time.

As for guns it seems similar. If just buying the gun it may be better to buy in store/local. You are able to lay hands on it and look at before purchase. Even if it is cheaper on line once you add the S&H and transfer fees you wind up more than the store usually. Still possible to find good deals. Now when looking for packages it may be better online unless the local FFL is willing to special order and a good cost for you. I have seen a couple S&W M&P 40 combos a few site I like. Average right around $500. Once I get the money together I'll check with my local FFL to see if they can order it for me around the same price.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby jeff7181 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Yeah, the problem with buying local is that nobody has a Daewoo DP51. Some shops make a point of saying they won't do special orders.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby wknight40 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:49 am

When you can't find local there is not much choice than the internet.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby jeff7181 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:26 am

wknight40 wrote:When you can't find local there is not much choice than the internet.

Yeah, I really don't feel like going to gun show after gun show hoping to find one.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby ChrisTX » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:21 am

I have sold several guns on gunbroker. My auctions state you must have an FFL who will accept from an individual prior to bidding. If its a handgun, its cheaper to have my dealer ship it than deal with me shipping overnight. That is a hassle. I include all that into my shipping cost. If the seller wants to go through a step that isn't required, then they can eat that cost. I'm not paying for someone's ignorance. I look at selling guns like I'm a buyer. I don't want to pay anymore than I have to, and someone buying from me should get the same deal.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby jeff7181 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:42 am

Yeah, my first experience buying online so I wasn't privy to all the potential issues. On top of it, the guy takes 3 days to respond to email and then either doesn't read the whole thing or doesn't bother to respond to the whole thing once he addresses one question or issues. I get that people are busy and don't spend as much time in front of a computer as I do, but I figure, if you're selling something online, you better spend enough time at the computer to respond to your customers in a timely manner. At this point, I'm tempted to tell the guy I no longer want the pistol... however, it's the best price I've found on one in this condition.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby ChrisTX » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Sounds like a freakin gun shop employee. They usually don't care, because they think the product should sell itself. See if you can find a dealer who operates out of their house. I found a dealer on gunsamerica who stocked Springfield 1911s and operated out of his house. Doing this, I knew he had little to no overhead and would be more flexible on price. I emailed him asking for his best price for three Springfield 1911s. I couldn't have bought them anywhere for the price I got from him and he was great to work with. I now use a local dealer who keeps stock at his house. He lists on gunbroker, but if I call him, he'll give me a good price. Dealers will make more selling you the gun than they will from the $15 or $20 transfer fee, and the paperwork is all the same. Like the old saying goes, Quality/Service/Price - pick which two mean the most.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby jeff7181 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:30 am

I emailed him last night and told him I was no longer interested, which may result in a non-paying bidder thing on gunbroker, but I don't think I care. I don't think I'll attempt to buy another gun online. If I can't find one I want locally, I'll just have to find a different one.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby wknight40 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:48 am

jeff7181 wrote:I emailed him last night and told him I was no longer interested, which may result in a non-paying bidder thing on gunbroker, but I don't think I care. I don't think I'll attempt to buy another gun online. If I can't find one I want locally, I'll just have to find a different one.

Two can play that game. Give the seller a bad review fo not staying in contact so that you can pay him. After all it really is not the online companies fault. Like blaming the gun manufacture for all the killings don by guns.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby jeff7181 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:42 pm

wknight40 wrote:
jeff7181 wrote:I emailed him last night and told him I was no longer interested, which may result in a non-paying bidder thing on gunbroker, but I don't think I care. I don't think I'll attempt to buy another gun online. If I can't find one I want locally, I'll just have to find a different one.

Two can play that game. Give the seller a bad review fo not staying in contact so that you can pay him. After all it really is not the online companies fault. Like blaming the gun manufacture for all the killings don by guns.

Yeah, he's finally responding, although it still takes him days to answer an email. Claiming that he and his law professor agree that I'm legally obligated to pay him. I told him show me the law. I also told him if he would respond to my email promptly and answer my unanswered questions, I'd send payment and complete the sale otherwise he can file a non-paying bidder report with gunbroker. He didn't do either, just tried to intimidate me more, so I'm just going to let him file a report.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby wknight40 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Looking at the Gunbroker site the seller has up to 5 days to make contact, so 3 is well within reason of the site. There are also tools on the site that Gunbroker say's that can be used if you are having problems with a seller and they will assist in resolving the problem. Admittedly I have not used Gunbroker.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:42 pm

jeff7181 wrote:Yeah, he's finally responding, although it still takes him days to answer an email. Claiming that he and his law professor agree that I'm legally obligated to pay him. I told him show me the law. I also told him if he would respond to my email promptly and answer my unanswered questions, I'd send payment and complete the sale otherwise he can file a non-paying bidder report with gunbroker. He didn't do either, just tried to intimidate me more, so I'm just going to let him file a report.

Wow, his law professor.....

Seriously, if you're on an auction / sales site, you have agreed to abide by their policies. Check out those policies. And, as mentioned before, check out the tools to handle disagreements. It sounds like you did agree to buy the guy's gun. The bottom line is all the questions, issues and shipping / FFL items are your responsibility to work thru prior to agreeing to buy on an auction / sales site. Use their dispute resolution tools. You may take some heat on the site but that's just the way it is. Chalk it up to education and a lesson learned the hard way and use this to be better prepared for the next on-line auction / sale you participate in.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jeff7181 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:26 am

I don't intend to buy a gun online again so I don't really care what the ramifications are in terms of my standing with gunbroker.

However, I have offered to pay the seller's auction fee so he may relist it without losing any money.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby jeff7181 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:29 am

wknight40 wrote:Looking at the Gunbroker site the seller has up to 5 days to make contact, so 3 is well within reason of the site. There are also tools on the site that Gunbroker say's that can be used if you are having problems with a seller and they will assist in resolving the problem. Admittedly I have not used Gunbroker.

It's been up to 4 days and some hours at some points. I have no desire to deal with someone who pushes the limits of what's reasonable.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Next

Return to The Aloha Deck