Arlington National Cemetery

Cocktails will be served nightly! Use this area for off topic discussions and to discuss the finer things in life. Great cigars, spirits, fine automobiles, motorcycles, aircraft, you get the idea!

Arlington National Cemetery

Postby HootmonSccy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:50 pm

I know this is not gun related, but I found it interesting, so I thought I'd share..

OK... Everyone knows about Arlington National Cemetery...

Question for you.. How did the Cemetery get started and WHO owned the land prior to it being a National Cemetery... You don't know, Do you??

The Answer will likely surprise you...

Who was at the signing ceremony turning the land over to the US Gov't?? This might also surprise you...

Play this video and start it at 20 minutes to find out the answers to these questions..

Man I love this show!!! You can watch all of the episodes online or catch the shows on BYUtv (if available on your cable/satellite provider)

Even if you hated History class in school, when it's presented this way, American History can be very educational and interesting..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Re: Arlington National Cemetery

Postby h2otoo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:00 pm

I will make a point to watch that vid, soon. I have a pretty good idea how it started, and, yes, I do know who owned it before it was taken over by the US. I love history, and am looking forward to seeing what the link has to show. So, based on that, thanks, in advance, for posting.

Bob
h2otoo
Veteran Member

Re: Arlington National Cemetery

Postby Cashley1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:56 pm

Robet E Lee owned the land.when the civil war broke out the yankee government confiscated it and turned it into a union cemetery.After the war Lee's son sued the federal government for unlawful seizure and won the supreme court orderd that he be paid for the land.
Chase from ALABAMA
Cashley1

Return to The Aloha Deck