Plastic Guide rods vs steel

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

Plastic Guide rods vs steel

Postby jax gunslinger » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:16 pm

I found this tread on the KTOG forum. Since a lot of us are using KT guide rods in our CPX's, this tread supports the notion that plastic guide rods are more user friendly than the steel ones. I knew there was a possibility the slide guide pin hole could wear as well documented in the P40, but I hadn't thought about excessive wear on the receiver end. http://www.thektog.org/forum/f84/issues ... ht-260004/
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Re: Plastic Guide rods vs steel

Postby PattonWasRight » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Looking at the guide rod in my recent serial number 147xxx, the guide rod certainly does seem to be metal. Regardless, the washer at the end of the rod, that the springs work against, would sure seem to bend or give way long before the slide would unduly wear. Just my $0.02.
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
PattonWasRight
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:10 am

When I was first looking at a P-11 (before I found SCCY) I was looking at the KTOG. I found a lot of the same types of comments there as I see here about the pistols - great gun - piece of crap - shoots great - shoots badly - very reliable - not reliable at all - works great out of the box - needs a serious fluff and buff before it will function properly - good fit and finish - poor fit and finish - etc., etc.

One thing I noticed that the idea of using the P-11 guide rod in the SCCY pistol has brought up here is the plastic vs. metal guide rod debate. There was quite an argument on the KTOG about plastic vs. metal. The P-11 comes from KT with a plastic guide rod. KT offers a metal replacement guide rod. The arguments there were similar to those stated here.

Personally, I don't think it matters. Why do I say that? Do pistols come with a metal guide rod from the factory? Sure, lots. Do pistols come from the factory with plastic guide rods? Sure, at least a few of the KT pistols do.

If one material was so far and away better than the other wouldn't all pistols came with that type of guide rod? I don't know about anyone else but I have never seen a study of the wear caused by and on a metal or plastic guide rod and it's pistol. Until I see some objective testing covering hundreds of pistols (a statistically significant group of all available pistols) with repeatable results, I see no proof or evidence one material is better than the other.

I've used both in my CPX and didn't see any better or worse performance, or wear to the pistol, with either. BTW - This does not constitute proof, it's just my observation on one pistol (mine) and my conclusion based on that observation.

If you believe plastic is better than metal, use it. If you believe metal is better than plastic, use that. Use whatever type of guide rod works best for your pistol. One nice thing about the CPX is both metal and plastic guide rods are available to fit it.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby GoesBang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:44 am

If the guide rod would wallow a larger hole in the slide, at least SCCY would replace it with a new one. Kel-Tec would only do that if it were the original owner.

There is something to be said about "lifetime of the gun" warranties.
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:01 pm

GoesBang wrote:If the guide rod would wallow a larger hole in the slide, at least SCCY would replace it with a new one. Kel-Tec would only do that if it were the original owner.

There is something to be said about "lifetime of the gun" warranties.

I agree but not totally. Keltec's warranty has been modified from it's original version. If your gun has been in for servicing previously, weather you bought it new or not its covered under the L/T warranty. The original owner rule has been in there since day one, they just now have started to enforce it. Here is a link to the update: http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/warra ... ibilities/
It's true that Sccy has a no bull shit warranty. Which is good for Sccy owners because they will most likely need it. Keltec owners not so much. Keltec firearms are simple to fix, and the company will send you out most parts for free. Also a massive data base is available on the KTOG forum to help you trouble shoot any issue you might have. If you have a slide or barrel problem you'll most likely need to send it in. Anyone buying a new firearm should check out the manufactures warranty policy first. You would be surprised at how bad some of them are....... as I recall Beretta is not so great either.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby GKC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:33 pm

jax gunslinger wrote:Anyone buying a new firearm should check out the manufactures warranty policy first. You would be surprised at how bad some of them are....... as I recall Beretta is not so great either.

This is actually a very important consideration for me when considering a new gun...and, in some cases, a used gun if the manufacturer covers the gun instead of the original owner (not very many do that.) A part of that consideration is not only the warranty coverage, but how good is the CS, and does the company pay for shipping? About Beretta...if you register them with the company, the one-year warranty is extended to 3 years...but, from everything I've ever read on the Beretta forum, their CS stinks. Same for SIG. The worst experience I've ever had was with Kimber, followed closely by Taurus.

So, nowadays before I pay for a gun, even an inexpensive one (and in my retired state, inexpensive is all I can afford now) I carefully consider these factors.
GKC
Seasoned Member

Postby uberwootage » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:07 pm

Plastic guide rods are fine despite what people say. Glock used them for years and it was only after James Yager did a 1000 round but on a glock and the guide rod melted that they switched to metal because some agency after that made that a requirement that it must be able to shoot 1,000 rounds without a malfunction.
uberwootage
Forum Regular

Return to Other Firearms