I Went and Done It

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

I Went and Done It

Postby jcwit » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Went to a gun show today and looked all around, very little impressed me. I did remember watching a number of U Tube videos a few month ago about how reliable and accurate the Hi-Point pistols were. Well what the heck, $150.00 bucks for a new in the box 9mm from my favorite dealer, and it's all mine. Beats the price of the Lugar I was looking at, $1700.00.

Wife comes by to pick me up, she had went next door to the mall shopping, worked out well as I do not walk well anymore. We even get home in time to watch NASCAR, and after the race I still had daylight to go to the range.

Well guess what, 100 round down the tube and no problems with 115 gr plated bullets or coated bullets. Lighter bullets didn't close completely into battery, probable to light a powder charge. Cast lead bullets were a no go, lots of leading even with the oversize bullets and jamming problems, again likely the oversize bullets.

Didn't really work on the accuracy aspect as time was short, will see later in the week.

So far the ugly duckling is doing very well.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Re: I Went and Done It

Postby morayman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:56 pm

I've got two HiPoint 9's a .45 and a 9mm carbine.They all shoot well and are surprisingly accurate.My 9's have only had 124gr.cast in them since new and they always feed well,yours probably just needs to break in a little.They are rugged blowback operated pistols that can take an absured amount of abuse and keep on operating,They don't have the best triggers,but once you get used to them they're OK.they have a lot of critics but surprisingly enough most of them have never even shot one,and the ones that have expect Kimber like quality,this is a rugged self defence gun and will still be shooting when many others will be in the repair shop.You'll like them I'm betting! morayman...........
morayman
Seasoned Member

Postby jcwit » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:20 pm

What brand of cast are you using or if you are casting your own what are you sizing to and what lube are you using?
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby morayman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:34 am

I'm using the Lee 124gr. semi-wadcutter.I cast with wheel weights and load them as cast.I've been lubing with Lee's liquid alox,but from now on they will be powder coated.My 9's shoot good but the real sleeper in accuracy is the HiPoint 45.My son used to take it to the range and embarasse some Kimber shooters with it,him being just a "punk kid" with a cheep assed gun.Some would get so mad they'd just pack up and go home,it was funny to watch.morayman.............
morayman
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:17 am

morayman wrote:I'm using the Lee 124gr. semi-wadcutter.I cast with wheel weights and load them as cast.I've been lubing with Lee's liquid alox,but from now on they will be powder coated.My 9's shoot good but the real sleeper in accuracy is the HiPoint 45.My son used to take it to the range and embarasse some Kimber shooters with it,him being just a "punk kid" with a cheep assed gun.Some would get so mad they'd just pack up and go home,it was funny to watch.morayman.............

The level of gun snobery some folks exhibit it pretty funny to watch at times. Brand loyalty is a fine thing but getting mad because someone shoots well with a different brand of gun is actually kind of sad.

Anyway, jcwit - glad to hear your new pistol is working well. The folks on the Bryco-Jennings-Jimenezarms.com forum (AKA the SNS forum) speak highly of Hi-Point guns. They don't seem to be glamorous but do seem to work well and have great manufacturer support.

Hey, they must be pretty good since their carbines lasted way into the future and were used by the apes in the original "Planet of the Apes" movie..... 8)
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby madmax » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:47 am

Nothing wrong with Hi-Point I have a 995ts carbine that I shoot all the time and love it. Enjoy your pistol.
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Postby PattonWasRight » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:43 pm

What is the unique aspect of High Points in terms of how they chamber & extract rounds? I agree, for $150, seems worth it just as an experiment.
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
PattonWasRight
Seasoned Member

Postby jcwit » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Going to try some reloads tomorrow.

124 gr. Cast RN sized to .356
3 gr. of Red Dot

We'll see what happens.
jcwit
Veteran Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Nothing wrong with a Hi-Point I've had several. They're designed on the simple blow back type operation making them very accurate and reliable. They're also relatively maintenance free only requiring a cleaning every 1200 rounds or so. Life time warranty that follows the gun not the original owner. Made in the USA. Preferred weapon of most gang bangers..... all that for about $150 in 9mm/380.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby machomelvin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:51 am

I like Hi Points too!
Attachments
22 HP All.jpg
In GOD We Trust
machomelvin

Postby getvicious » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:37 am

Wow!
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby GoesBang » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:49 am

Melvin is a special case. That's just the HP pistols he has.
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby machomelvin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:29 am

Here is a newer family picture, still have 3 more to come.
Attachments
32 HP's.jpg
In GOD We Trust
machomelvin

Postby Mrbone » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:53 pm

As reliable as they are, I'd be too embarrassed to shoot one of those stupid looking things at the range. Purely on looks not the name.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby morayman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:18 pm

Mrbone wrote:As reliable as they are, I'd be too embarrassed to shoot one of those stupid looking things at the range. Purely on looks not the name.

Boy,talk about gun snobery! Have you ever shot one or even held one? Thier looks are not much different from a lot of other guns that are made of polymyer,aren't expensive,but look nearly identical.They are very reliable and very accurate.You don't have to baby them they'll shoot dirty or clean,and for the price,if you don't have much money to spend they're a great bargain.morayman...........
morayman
Seasoned Member

Next

Return to Other Firearms