Home Defense Shotgun

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

Home Defense Shotgun

Postby sheepfarmer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:19 am

I'm looking at the Savage model 320 pump. Do you like it or recommend something else. I don't have a lot of $$ to spend.
Thanks
sheepfarmer

Re: Home Defense Shotgun

Postby getvicious » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:16 am

I saw a lot of those as the Stevens 320 at the last gun show I went to in Raleigh. They were selling at $200 - $220 (standard or tactical model). The vendors all said they were great (as you would expect from the vendor). I found some reviews that indicated a few people had issues but by and large they seemed to work well. I work with a guy who has one and loves it.

Rather than wait for the next gun show I bought a H&R Pardner Pump Protector at Gander Mountain. It was on sale and with their military discount it came to $167. I've had no issues with it - it shoots great.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby sheepfarmer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Thanks very much. That was a great deal!
The one I was looking at was $199 on Gunbroker.com (same place I bought my SCCY). This one comes with the heat shield too. They have one on Cheaperthandirt.com too for $184 but it comes without the heat shield. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... 624145#PIC

here's another at "bud's gunshop.com"
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/payment.php

Thanks
sheepfarmer

Postby slong115 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:55 pm

I got a Mossberg 500 pump 12 gauge that came with a heat shield. First thing I did when doing the initial cleaning was to remove it. To me, it looked too difficult to clean underneath it and I figured if I was in a situation where I was firing that shotgun enough to get the barrel that hot, burning my hand would probably be the least of my worries! After I removed it, I was actually surprised at how heavy the heat shield felt.

I checked out the 320, also, and really liked the looks of it but went with the Mossy since I shoot a long gun left handed and the Mossberg safety is much better located for a left-handed shooter.

Scott
Scott
USMC '69-'73
slong115
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:22 pm

The Gunbroker.com gun you link to is like the ones selling for $220 at the gun show. I don't care about the tactical pieces for a home defense shotgun so the H&R Pardner Protector is good for me, plus it's about an inch and a half shorter than the Stevens 320 (37 5/8 vs. 39).

That Stevens 320 does seem nice for home defense if you want a pistol grip model, without breaking the bank.

I don't know if you've given any thought to ammo.
1. Bird shot seems pretty useless as it just doesn't penetrate heavy clothing. We did some shooting against an old minitruck hood. Bird shot barely took the paint off. It is good for practice though - and pumpkins....
2. A slug goes thru everything, like walls. Shot thru the hood like butter. Fun to practice with. Good for hunting deer where legal.
3. 00 Buckshot is like the slug, goes thru everything. Would be good if you know you won't miss and are sure there will never be anything you don't mind hitting behind the attacker. Again, fun to practice with.
4. 04 Buckshot seems to be a good happy medium. Will penetrate and cause massive damage to an attacker but not penetrate walls as easily as the 00 Buckshot or Slugs.
5. Lastly, Hornady Zombie MAX - It's 00 Buckshot but I'm going to get some just because... I know it works and can prove it. When was the last time you saw a zombie? See? :lol:
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby sheepfarmer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:39 pm

I don't necessarily need anything which could go through walls and I do all my deer hunting with my Marlin 336 lever action. The 04 buck sounds interesting. I may try some of that when I get the shotgun. Thanks :)
sheepfarmer

Postby smokersteve » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:59 pm

I picked one of these up online a year ago for right around $200 NIB. It works great and has a decently smooth action.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... yn+Blk+Stk

For a little more $

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... PG+GRS+CYL
Glock 19
CPX-2 FDE
S&W Shield 9mm
Kahr CM9
Kahr CW380
S&W M&P22
smokersteve

Postby sheepfarmer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks!
sheepfarmer

Postby wildsailor » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:29 am

I wanted something small and short for maneuverability inside the house (18" barrel). I also went with a 20-gauge so my wife would be less intimidated in firing it if it came to that. So I went with a Mossberg 510 Mini. Loaded with slugs it is at the ready. I also bought a sling kit off eBay for a Mossberg 500 and it fits the 510 fine. That gives me 10 more shells at the ready in case I need them.
regards,
Dan
SE Michigan
Ruger SR22P
SCCY CPX-2-B
SCCY CPX-1-TT
Sig P238 380 mini
wildsailor
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:01 pm

wildsailor wrote:I wanted something small and short for maneuverability inside the house (18" barrel). I also went with a 20-gauge so my wife would be less intimidated in firing it if it came to that. So I went with a Mossberg 510 Mini. Loaded with slugs it is at the ready. I also bought a sling kit off eBay for a Mossberg 500 and it fits the 510 fine. That gives me 10 more shells at the ready in case I need them.

Seems like a good choice for a 20 gauge shotgun. Mossberg has a reputation for good guns.

Have you thought about using slugs in your home? The downside is they tend to go thru walls without slowing down. The upside is they pack a huge wallop at impact when you hit the intruder.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wildsailor » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:45 pm

getvicious wrote:
wildsailor wrote:I wanted something small and short for maneuverability inside the house (18" barrel). I also went with a 20-gauge so my wife would be less intimidated in firing it if it came to that. So I went with a Mossberg 510 Mini. Loaded with slugs it is at the ready. I also bought a sling kit off eBay for a Mossberg 500 and it fits the 510 fine. That gives me 10 more shells at the ready in case I need them.

Seems like a good choice for a 20 gauge shotgun. Mossberg has a reputation for good guns.

Have you thought about using slugs in your home? The downside is they tend to go thru walls without slowing down. The upside is they pack a huge wallop at impact when you hit the intruder.

I also have 02 buckshot and a bunch of birdshot for practice. My thoughts were that this is 20 ga and not 12 or 8 so the slugs may not actually penetrate the neighbor's house if the target is missed (smaller ball with less powder). I may be wrong. When I bought it my LGS salesman recommended the 02 buckshot for in the house. I may switch it out to the buckshot loads...I have not read a lot about it yet.

Edit: I may need to rethink the 20 ga slug idea. Here is a ballistic test....holy moly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY4tvV0Cq6I
regards,
Dan
SE Michigan
Ruger SR22P
SCCY CPX-2-B
SCCY CPX-1-TT
Sig P238 380 mini
wildsailor
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:46 pm

wildsailor - Yes, lots of force applied with slugs. There's a reason people hunt deer with slugs. Yes, the 20 gauge is not a 12 gauge but it's still a monster compared to most handguns. When I tested the various shot shells against an old truck hood the slugs were truly impressive in how they punched thru without much energy loss and left really big holes - much larger than the approximate 1/2 inch diameter of the slug.

IMHO, the risk of penetrating the wall and possibly hitting someone (innocent) on the other side outweighs the advantage of a slug. That's why I have 04 buckshot in my 12 gauge. In a 20 gauge the 02 buckshot may well give the balance between penetration and impact damage for use in a home.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Johnnelson » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:19 am

I agree.

RF, in the article, the thing you forgot to take into consideration is that a lot of people are not comfortable buying or owning tactical or tacticool looking weapons.

Even if an 870 may not be the best choice, I know people would would buy an 870 but never, ever buy a magazine fed sporting rifle.

Also, you can buy an 870 for what, 200-300 bucks at a pawn shop? The cheapest AR or equivalent sporting rifle will cost you at least 600 bucks. Then factoring in the magazines etc, that is quite a price difference.
Johnnelson

Postby getvicious » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:00 am

Johnnelson wrote:I agree.

RF, in the article, the thing you forgot to take into consideration is that a lot of people are not comfortable buying or owning tactical or tacticool looking weapons.

Even if an 870 may not be the best choice, I know people would would buy an 870 but never, ever buy a magazine fed sporting rifle.

Also, you can buy an 870 for what, 200-300 bucks at a pawn shop? The cheapest AR or equivalent sporting rifle will cost you at least 600 bucks. Then factoring in the magazines etc, that is quite a price difference.

Howdy and welcome from NC.

What article?

In the "Bang for the Buck" test a shotgun wins.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:15 am

I have a friend at work who bought 2 of the Stevens 320 shotguns. Theses are the tactical models. They're the Savage 320 with Stevens labeled on them.

He loves his. He's shot each well over 100 times and not had any issues. He did complain that his shoulders were very sore after shooting over 100 rounds in one session. I showed a lot of restraint by only laughing softly after he told me. He had some magnum slugs and his reaction is best described as "WOW". Previously he had only fired a .22 long chambered rifle so the 12 gauge was quite a step up.

One definite advantage to the Stevens 320 over my H&R Pardner I have is the pistol grip on the Stevens 320. It makes it easier to control because you can get a better grip on the gun if you don't have enough grip strength (or experience) to comfortably handle a standard 12 gauge (or 20 gauge for that matter). There's a reason modern battle rifles have pistol grips you know - and it's not because they look cool.

When I get another 12 gauge it will be something like the Stevens 320 with the pistol grip.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Next

Return to Other Firearms