Home Defense Shotgun

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

Re: Home Defense Shotgun

Postby wknight40 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:41 pm

Just purchased a Mossberg 500 all purpose myself. A co-worker bought a H&R and it seemed to be shooting to low at 30 yards. We had to aim above the target and when shooting squirrel you lose the target. He sent it back for repair about a month ago and has not gotten it back yet. The only problem with the Mossberg I bought is the long barrel. Does not make for a good home defense shotgun. Good thing barrels can be bought easily for these. Also lots of after market parts.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:28 am

parkerd wrote:I thought the purpose of a shotgun for home defense was having the shot pattern to cover a wider area and disable the intruder. While a pistol is far easier to keep nearby and maneuver, you must aim and and be accurate. The only advantage of a shotgun for home defense is ability to eliminate the need for pinpoint accuracy. Using a slug somewhat nullifies that aspect.

Why a shotgun for home defense?
Easy to purchase - was not affected by handgun bans or many waiting periods like handguns were (are?) some places - no permit needed or easier to get.
Easy to use - pretty simple designs that all seem to work pretty much the same.
Widely available - even WalMart sell them.
More acceptable to many people - don't see why but true none the less.
Less expensive than many pistols / rifles - basic pump 12 or 20 gauge can be had for $165 - $250 new.
Fantastically reliable - at least that's the perception.
Public perception - we all know the perception that the noise of chambering a round in a pump shotgun will scare an intruder away.
More firepower than any other readily available gun - pretty universally recognized.
Size - HD shotguns are shorter than most rifles so maneuver easier in a home.

You do have to aim with a shotgun. When I tested mine in the "back yard" at 30 feet, 00 buckshot spread about 4 inches. You can miss at close range with a shotgun just like with a handgun. The shotgun does give a much longer sight radius so missing may be harder to do than with a handgun.

If a person has really limited resources, and can only afford 1 gun for home defense, it's hard to beat a shotgun. Shotguns give a real high level of bang for the buck.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wknight40 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:45 pm

I have read on several sites that the impact of a slug from a 20 gauge is like being hit by 2 rounds of a .44 magnum at the same time. Forget the distance, I think it was something like 20 feet. Very low recoil out of that same 20 gauge compare to the .44 magnum also.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:43 pm

Parkerd - If you read my earlier posts I don't like slugs or even 00 Buckshot for HD. I think 04 Buckshot for a 12 Gauge and maybe 02 Buckshot for a 20 Gauge is the way to go for best impact and protection from over penetrating for us civilians in our houses.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Previous

Return to Other Firearms