need a unique gun

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

need a unique gun

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:52 am

A few ideas

- probably not a revolver. I have one already and I know of others that I like for down the road
- I would prefer it to be 9mm or 38 / 357 so I don't have a third type of bullet to buy
- probably not a Ruger as my revolver is that. Nothing wrong it Ruger at all but I want a different brand to play with

I saw the Super Comanche which is really just a novelty gun. If it was available in 9mm I'd probably have it in my hands by now. It's strange and crazy. https://comanche.eagleimportsinc....

the other one I'm looking at is a Smith and Wesson that has a ported barrel. I'd like to try that. Actually I'd prefer a classic 1911 style with a ported barrel or with a longer round barrel protruding from the end. I've seen a few sites that sell aftermarket barrels but I'm not sure about that aspect right now

The S&W I'm eyeing is http://www.smith-wesson.com/webap...
mkiker2089
Seasoned Member

Re: need a unique gun

Postby economod » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:59 am

Consider a 9mm SAR B6P, under $300 variation of the classic CZ75B exposed hammer DA/SA, but with polymer frame.
http://eaacorp.com/portfolio-item/sar-b ... sarsilmaz/
economod
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:02 am

If you want a truly unique gun, look at a Boberg 9mm. They're pricey but are the first new pistol design in many years.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:37 pm

The Boberg is very interesting. I wish they would make on just a little larger for target shooting though. I get the idea, the barrel length means it doesn't need to be bigger, I just think sighting it up would be easier on a gun with a 6-8" OAL.

I will keep that in mind.
mkiker2089
Seasoned Member

Postby lamarw » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Might I suggest a Beretta 92FS Inox in 9mm for a pistol. You indicate not a revolver yet you mention .38 or .357. Really nothing unique about the Beretta 92 other than its M-9 tenure as a U.S. service pistol. When I left service it was still the M1911A1.

If you want a unique .38 Special (a revolver of course), then I would suggest a S&W Victory model. It is unique and significant since it was produced by S&W during the World War II years, and the early on serial numbers started with a V to signify Victory for the Allied Forces. Later ones serial numbers started with a VS and indicates the revolver has a hammer block as a safety device to keep the gun from firing if dropped and hitting on the hammer.

I also might recommend a S&W Model 686 (Stainless) or Model 586 (Blued) in .38 Special/.357 Magnum. Once again we are talking revolvers. They are not unique but are wonderful revolvers.

My personal belief is you should step up and get 1911 in .45 ACP; although they can be had in 9mm.

As you add to your future wish list of revolvers, make sure you add a S&W Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. I am still debating if I ever want a .44 Magnum or not. The .45 Colt can be reloaded to out perform the .44 Magnum if you are a reloader. Consideration could be given to the S&W Model 29 (Dirty Harry).

Let us know what you decide.
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby toymachine » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:58 am

Everyone needs a 1911 in their collection. I haven't got mine yet, but there are a couple new budget options supposed to be showing up on the market shortly. I'd like to stick to 9mm, for the previously mentioned purpose of not having to stock another type of ammo.

But 1911s seem a bit common, and you said you wanted unique. How about an MPA M11/9 SA? Nice little clone of the old sub-machine gun. I haven't talked to too many people who have actually fired a Hi Point, they usually skip over those in favor of slightly more "upmarket" offerings, though that may depend on local trends. Held a steel frame Baby Eagle at the LGS the other day, ought to be a cool range toy. Plenty of new niche market imports available today, across the price range, but they sometimes make me worry about magazine and parts availability.

Just some thoughts, figured I'd slip in my two cents.
toymachine
Seasoned Member

Postby Archelgray18 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Every gun has a unique rifling. In other words, the barrels are the fingerprint of a gun. It leaves very specific marks on the bullet as it travels through the barrel and no two are the same. The only way those bullets can be traced to that specific gun, is if the gun is obtained and test fired. Then the bullets are matched under a microscope for scarring.
gd1010 96 months ago
Archelgray18

Postby arcus10mm » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:13 pm

arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby jeff7181 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:55 pm

How about a Daewoo DP51 or the modern version of it, the Lionheart LH9?

http://www.lionheartindustries.com/lh9
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby toymachine » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:34 am

Archelgray18 wrote:Every gun has a unique rifling. In other words, the barrels are the fingerprint of a gun. It leaves very specific marks on the bullet as it travels through the barrel and no two are the same. The only way those bullets can be traced to that specific gun, is if the gun is obtained and test fired. Then the bullets are matched under a microscope for scarring.
gd1010 96 months ago

Doubtful. With modern manufacturing methods, the rifling will be dang near identical and indistingiushable, at least in new barrels. It's only after the barrel has had a few rounds pass through it that marks and flaws capable of differentiating that barrel's bullets begin to develop. It's more useful as a tool to rule a gun out, than to positively I.D.any particular firearm, anyway.

cough* Baby Eagle* cough
toymachine
Seasoned Member

Postby toymachine » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:49 pm

parkerd wrote:The rifling and striations from a particular gun barrel are indeed unique.

How is this achieved? Seems like the manufacturer could record which pattern was placed into which barrel, then into which gun, providing ready made ballistics records for public record.
toymachine
Seasoned Member

Postby toymachine » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:11 pm

parkerd wrote:One fired bullet can be compared to another bullet fired from a known firearm and we can determine if the rifling, striation, and microscopic tool marks are identical. It is done all the time. The bullets are compared not the bullet to the barrel.

Sure. And I'm saying there will be several brand new guns that will produce bullets that look exactly the same, due to the consistency of modern manufacturing equipment. Meaning you will only be able to tell for sure, if a bullet DIDN'T come from a particular barrel, not that a bullet necessarily DID come from one barrel, and not from a different barrel formed a few pieces up or down the line.
toymachine
Seasoned Member

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:22 pm

I think people expect too much based on shows like Bones and CSI. I somehow doubt ballistics tests are as accurate as we are lead to believe. Even if they are a vigorous cleaning with a wire brush would change the fingerprint. Most modern police work is more luck than actual detecting. That's why cases stay open for years before a tip comes in. Cops figuring things out by magically seeing something in sidewalk is just fiction.

I saw one show, can't remember which, that got a man convicted by measuring his barrel with a micrometer and convinced the jury that he bored it out to change the ballistics. Yeah, right ;)
mkiker2089
Seasoned Member

Postby toymachine » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:36 pm

So, you pick up a unique gun, yet? :D
toymachine
Seasoned Member

Postby toymachine » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:31 pm

parkerd wrote:You are both commenting definitively on a subject you have absolutely no knowledge about. Do a little internet research and educate yourselves. Ballistics identification has been around for about 150 years, and has continue to become morey accurate over the years. You need to understand the machining process and microscopic comparison. Or, you can take the word of thousands of law enforcement agencies, thousands of crime labs, and thousands of court cases.
Many large cities have these citizen police academies and take you through the lab during one segment. Perhaps you should consider that.

So what's your background? Ballistics tech? Detective? Firearms manufacture?
toymachine
Seasoned Member

Next

Return to Other Firearms