Taurus PT-111 G2

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

Taurus PT-111 G2

Postby 777Driver » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:18 pm

Picked up a PT-111 last month, and I'm lovin' it. It's design is VERY similar to a Glock. Just like the Glock it has the same trigger safety, and inner mechanism safety to prevent firing if it is dropped, but it also has a manual thumb safety like most other semi-autos. In addition, it has a "Round in Chamber" indicator that can be felt in the dark; and a mechanical lock-out key that locks the trigger and the slide, and turns it into a paperweight. The G2 model fixed all the problems from the Taurus lawsuit. The trigger is Single-action AND Double-action. Once a round is chambered the gun is Single-action, but if the round doesn't fire for some reason, you can pull the trigger again for Double-action. This has happenend to me twice on the range with a bad primer on some reloads. Both times the round fired the second try. The magazine holds 12 rounds double-stack. With an online price of $200-250, this gun gives SCCY real competition. The only thing I don't like about this gun is the trigger pull. The pull is not smooth, and the pressure increases slightly as the trigger is pulled back. Also, in Single-action mode there is a distinctive "click" felt as the trigger is pulled thru the Double-action section. It also has a short "Trigger Reach", which is good for someone with small hands, but not so good for someone with large hands. My hands are normal size, and I don't have a problem with it.
777Driver

Re: Taurus PT-111 G2

Postby getvicious » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:54 pm

777Driver - Congrats on your new Taurus. Sounds like it's doing well for you.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby economod » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:25 am

My brother sold his LC9s and got a PT-111-G2 ... it shoots every time, never a problem.
He has a grip sleeve on it now, so it may fit my hand better next time I shoot it.

parkerd ... do you still have your Taurus PT-809? (compact?) How's that been for you?
Here's a newer review ... http://loadoutroom.com/18110/taurus-809-polymer-9mm/
economod
Veteran Member

Postby 777Driver » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:00 pm

I don't have the experience that Parkerd has, but on page 11 of the PT-111 Instruction Manual it says:
"If an ammunition failure occurs and a misfire happens, the system automatically goes to a double action condition allowing you to fire again by pulling the trigger (double action), with no need to cycle the slide manually."
The trigger can be pulled again and again. So what is the difference between double action, and second strike?
Also, I would like to ask Packerd if he experiences the same "trigger-click" and increasing trigger pressure when shooting his PT-111's that I described in my first message, or should I have my PT-111 looked at?
777Driver

Postby getvicious » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:25 am

777Driver wrote:I don't have the experience that Parkerd has, but on page 11 of the PT-111 Instruction Manual it says:
"If an ammunition failure occurs and a misfire happens, the system automatically goes to a double action condition allowing you to fire again by pulling the trigger (double action), with no need to cycle the slide manually."
The trigger can be pulled again and again. So what is the difference between double action, and second strike?
Also, I would like to ask Packerd if he experiences the same "trigger-click" and increasing trigger pressure when shooting his PT-111's that I described in my first message, or should I have my PT-111 looked at?

Being able to pull the trigger to reactivate the firing pin is second strike. Essentially being able to try to shoot a 2nd, or 3rd.... time. Not all pistols will do that.

Double action is when the single trigger pull cocks the pistol and fires it. Single action just releases the hammer or striker to fire the round - the pistol is already cocked by the function of the mechanism reloading and cocking.

The fact that you can pull the trigger and try to fire a round that has already had the firing pin strike it once is 2nd strike. The fact that the pistol cocks and releases the striker is double action.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby 777Driver » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:50 pm

Hmmmm,.....ok, so the PT-111 does pull the striker back and releases it like a double action, but it does not cycle a new round into the chamber unless the round fires. Is that what Packerd means by "Second Strike" and not "Double Action"? Whereas a double action revolver pulls the striker back, rotates to a new round, and releases the striker. Does that mean that no semi-auto is double action, and that SCCY's claim as DAO is technically incorrect?
I can see how minor arguments can arise out of these technicalities. I don't care either way. I'm more interested in finding out if Packerd feels the clicking on his PT-111's as he pulls the trigger thru the "double action region" (for lack of a better term).
777Driver

Postby 777Driver » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:03 pm

Another note about Taurus. Although the gun is great, the Taurus customer service is nowhere near as good as SCCY's. A friend had to send his Taurus back to the factory for repairs, and it took seven weeks to get it back! From reading the Taurus forum, that sounds like the norm, and some repairs take even longer.
They do, however, have a good forum at Taurus.
777Driver

Postby toymachine » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:18 pm

getvicious wrote:The fact that you can pull the trigger and try to fire a round that has already had the firing pin strike it once is 2nd strike. The fact that the pistol cocks and releases the striker is double action.

That sounds like the same thing, to me.

Anyway, I hope it serves you well, and your friend's gun gets returned soon, properly repaired, and serves them well, too.
toymachine
Seasoned Member

Postby MARINE DIVISION TWO » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:49 am

Not bashing SCCY since I own a CPX 1 and CPX 2 but got onto the Taurus G-2s and except for hollow point feed in the beginning and fixed that small issue by using LEAD AWAY on the ramp no tools just my finger with leadaway polished the ramp even more and feeds anything I put into it ! Taurus offers a lot more than SCCY and Presently own two I feel more confident CCW the Taurus also and How can Taurus sell the G 2 for less yhan SCCY ? Tells you that Taurus has a big winner on its hands ! JMO/MDT
MARINE DIVISION TWO
Veteran Member

Postby baxter513 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:54 pm

I have the Taurus G2. I decided to purchase the CPX-2 as my second CCW gun.

The Taurus is a little too long in the barrel and is digging into my nutsack when I am driving my car. I carry AIWB with the smart carry holster.

I hope the shorter barrel of the SCCY will be more comfortable. Because with pants that have a small crotch the Taurus is almost impossible to CCW (for me)
baxter513

Postby baxter513 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:38 pm

parkerd wrote:The PT 111 is less than 1/2 inch longer than a CPX. Hope that makes a difference

Heh-Heh. Yeah, hopefully I will enjoy carrying the SCCY

Always good to have 2 EDC guns I figure in case I misplace one of them or if one of them has to go in for service.

Would be happy to hear the experiences of anybody that owns both weapons and can give some extra insights
baxter513

Postby sccytoter » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:24 pm

With the G2, Taurus has a good one on their hands there. They have been sketchy on some of their other products, but the G2 seems to be a winner. The grip on the G2 is fantastic, but coming with one magazine kinda sucks. Oh btw, Taurus CS does suck the big one. It is probably one of the worse, in the industry...well, I had issues with Remington too, but who's counting?
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby baxter513 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:29 pm

I love the G2 for shooting but it seems that for my body type that the extra half inch of length (compared to the CPX 2) makes all the difference in the world as far as comfort of carry. I mean that the Taurus is alot less comfortable (for me) as an EDC

Also the strange "pinky extender" shaped bottom of the magazine of the G2 makes it print really bad for me when OWB carry
baxter513

Postby sccytoter » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:20 pm

parkerd wrote:SccyToter: The Taurus PT111 G2 comes from the factory with two magazines in the package. If someone bought a new one and only got one mag your LGS is screwing with you.
I have used Taurus customer service for one small item and found them to be very good.

Yeah, one of the local stores around here are pulling that crap, then underpricing their G2's by like 15 dollars, as compared to the competition. They then turn around and slap a 30 dollar price tag on the G2 magazines in stock. Bullcrap move right there.

As far as Taurus CS, I used to be on a Taurus forum, but due to the site getting hacked or something, my account got dumped and I don't want to start all over again there. Anyways, there were a lot of people on that site, that were complaining that Taurus was taking weeks to get them taken care of. There were some on there, that had a certain model of Taurus, that had been recalled due to some kind of defect, and it was months before they even got any information about either a refund or replacement. Just going off of what I remember from their posts.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:36 am

sccytoter wrote:Yeah, one of the local stores around here are pulling that crap, then underpricing their G2's by like 15 dollars, as compared to the competition. They then turn around and slap a 30 dollar price tag on the G2 magazines in stock. Bullcrap move right there.

Kind of speaks to their ethics and integrity doesn't it?
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Next

Return to Other Firearms