New here, I would like some opinions.

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

New here, I would like some opinions.

Postby Splain » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:15 am

Bought a CPX-1 and it brought memories of a ruger 22 I had 30+ years ago. So I have been looking for a 22RL and would like your opinions on this one,
MOSSBERG 37209 715 TACTICAL FLAT TOP 22LR ADJUSTABLE STK 25+1 SEMI 16.25" or this one, MOSSBERG INTER 37246 BLAZE 47 SA 22LR 16.5" 25+1 6-POS or this one, MOSS 37065 FLEX-22 SA 22LR 16.25" 25+1 6-POS FLEX BLK STK
I am just looking for a target shooter. Or if you could recommend a better low cost one.

Thank you all and I'm happy to belong to this forum.
Splain
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: New here, I would like some opinions.

Postby getvicious » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:14 am

I just recently bought a Mossberg International 702 Plinkster. It's inexpensive, very light and shoots really well. I got the model with the 25 round magazine.

Personally, I avoid all the .22 rifles that look like AR's. I find them to be higher priced than a basic .22 rifle (IMHO for no reason other than the cool factor) and since the controls are typically not the same as an AR, not really good for AR training. I have an AR and train with it.

I really like my 702 Plinkster. Cheap price (about half what a AR-ish model runs), works well, lots of fun - what's not to like. It's also a short rifle so is easy to carry / transport. Unless you really, really want a .22 AR-ish rifle for some specific reason, I recommend some standard .22 rifle. You'll save money and shoot just as well or better.

Having said all that, apparently all the Mossberg rifles you mentioned work well and are reliable.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
User avatar
getvicious
Topic Moderator
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: New here, I would like some opinions.

Postby Splain » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:57 am

Thank you so very much I am going to check out the rifle you talked about.
Splain
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: New here, I would like some opinions.

Postby Pony Soldier » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:08 pm

I just picked up one of these Mossberg 702's (new) today for $117.46. Funny thing is on Davidson's the price is all over the place. The dealer where I got my CPX2 had this listed at $186. The MSRP is $190. The dealer where I got this new one showed a buy price of $153 their Davidson's site, $36 bucks more. Shop around folks. I orderd the Mossberg on line Monday afternoon and picked it up this morning, Friday.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Bucks County PA

Re: New here, I would like some opinions.

Postby getvicious » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:51 am

Pony Soldier wrote:I just picked up one of these Mossberg 702's (new) today for $117.46. Funny thing is on Davidson's the price is all over the place. The dealer where I got my CPX2 had this listed at $186. The MSRP is $190. The dealer where I got this new one showed a buy price of $153 their Davidson's site, $36 bucks more. Shop around folks. I orderd the Mossberg on line Monday afternoon and picked it up this morning, Friday.

I have a Mossberg 702 and like mine a lot. Shoots well. A nice rifle for not a lot of money.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
User avatar
getvicious
Topic Moderator
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: New here, I would like some opinions.

Postby Pony Soldier » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:24 pm

It is a nice piece. I took it to the range this morning after mounting a 4 X 15 scope that I removed from my '50+ year old' Springfield/Savage bolt action single shot rifle. Used about 10 rounds to adjust for dead on. Very satisfied with the function, operation and results with this Mossberg 702 semi-auto 22lr with a
10 shot magazine. The dealer said their stores 'Shop On Line' source is RSR FIREARMS DISTRIBUTOR, and my on line price was $117.46. The same store through Davidsons for the 702 has it listed at $153.xx
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Bucks County PA

Re: New here, I would like some opinions.

Postby getvicious » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:41 pm

I have a 25 round mag with mine (came with the rifle) along with several 10 round mag. All function well. The 25 round mag is nice just to avoid having to reload mags as often.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
User avatar
getvicious
Topic Moderator
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: New here, I would like some opinions.

Postby Pony Soldier » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Just a question getvicious. After taking out the pins in the cleaning process, is it totally necessary to further dismantle the inners? Or can you recommend if
at the pin removal stage that a general clean up is OK on the 702. Any hints you have to partial take down cleaning would be appreciated. Thank you.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:15 pm
Location: Bucks County PA

Re: New here, I would like some opinions.

Postby getvicious » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:34 am

Pony Soldier wrote:Just a question getvicious. After taking out the pins in the cleaning process, is it totally necessary to further dismantle the inners? Or can you recommend if
at the pin removal stage that a general clean up is OK on the 702. Any hints you have to partial take down cleaning would be appreciated. Thank you.

I took mine all apart when I first got it and cleaned / lubed and inspected everything. Since then, every time I shoot it, I clean it with REM ACTION CLEANER and wipe it with q-tips / rags and let it air dry. I do this by locking the bolt back and spraying the bolt, chamber and barrel. Then I use REM OIL to lube it and run a boresnake thru the barrel till it's clean. That works well and I've not had any issues with malfunctions. This winter I'll take it all apart again for a deep clean / lube and inspection.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
User avatar
getvicious
Topic Moderator
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: New here, I would like some opinions.

Postby sccytoter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:13 pm

getvicious wrote:I just recently bought a Mossberg International 702 Plinkster. It's inexpensive, very light and shoots really well. I got the model with the 25 round magazine.

Personally, I avoid all the .22 rifles that look like AR's. I find them to be higher priced than a basic .22 rifle (IMHO for no reason other than the cool factor) and since the controls are typically not the same as an AR, not really good for AR training. I have an AR and train with it.

I really like my 702 Plinkster. Cheap price (about half what a AR-ish model runs), works well, lots of fun - what's not to like. It's also a short rifle so is easy to carry / transport. Unless you really, really want a .22 AR-ish rifle for some specific reason, I recommend some standard .22 rifle. You'll save money and shoot just as well or better.

Having said all that, apparently all the Mossberg rifles you mentioned work well and are reliable.
Hey, I had a Plinkster for a couple of years, and it ran just as well as my Ruger 10/22.
Semper Fi Mac!
User avatar
sccytoter
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Indiana


Return to Other Firearms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Join Florida Carry
cron