Yet Another One off the Grail List

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

Yet Another One off the Grail List

Postby lamarw » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Brought this one home this morning. It is a Sig Sauer P229 in .40 S&W from about 2004 to 2005. It is a police trade-in from the Opelika, Alabama Police Dept. It came with three Sig factory 12 round magazines.

Seems like the Sig police trade-in are falling out of the sky around these parts. Couple of weeks ago it was P226 and now this one.
Attachments
100_3196.JPG
100_3195.JPG
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Re: Yet Another One off the Grail List

Postby getvicious » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:14 am

lamarw wrote:Seems like the Sig police trade-in are falling out of the sky around these parts. Couple of weeks ago it was P226 and now this one.

I wonder if the FBI's announcement about going back to 9mm has anything to do with the .40 cal trade-ins like your new Sig?

9mm ammo is certainly less expensive than .40 (and more plentiful) so agencies may be able to cut training / certification costs over the life of the gun to pay for the gun with the savings.

For example, on Lucky Gunner, the cheapest 9mm ammo is $0.17 per round and the cheapest .40 ammo is $0.25 per round for a difference of $0.08 each round. For 10000 rounds the savings is $800.00. That's pretty substantial per user.

Now that's for Tulammo FMJ, which I'm pretty sure isn't the duty / practice ammo law enforcement uses, but the comparison of relative cost is still valid.

At some level it does become all about the money.

And congrats on the new pistol. Looks nice.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:47 pm

parkerd wrote:A lot of conversation and articles regarding issues with the 40 S&W have proliferated the past several years. Many agencies report greater than expected wear on their 40 caliber firearms. Some federal agencies, who have more stringent qualification requirements, also have reported, most especially Border Patrol, with several different manufacturers. Have heard that from LEOs I talk with, but a little hard to believe on local level, since they are not putting that many rounds through. The other issue, which is also my experience, is that personal accuracy with the .40 is not as great as with the 9mm, especially with second and subsequent shots. Maybe in my head, but concerns me that most 40 caliber pistol frames were originally designed as 9mm and the manufacturer just threw a bigger barrel on it.

Hey, if it works okay that's good enough. Let the warranty channel fix any immediate issues and long-term issues may be after the warranty expires. Using an existing platform is much less expensive than designing a new platform for the .40.

That approach can work well for an equal or lesser power cartridge but not always for a higher power one.

lamarw - Hopefully the Sig you got won't suffer from the issues parkerd mentions above.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby lamarw » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:08 pm

I had read some of the previous reports. Here is my thinking and why I deliberately chose the .40 S&W in the P229.

First, I just obtained the P226 in 9mm a couple of weeks ago.

Secondly, I am getting none of the problem reports from two different Sig Forums. Then it is a simple process of dropping a .357 Sig barrel into the P229 .40 S&W Slide to shoot the .357 Sig. You can use the same slide and even the .40 S&W Sig magazines for the .357 Sig round. You can also get an X-Change kit from Sig for the 9mm which include slide, barrel and a magazine to use with the P229 Frame. Even less expensive is to obtain a 9mm Barsto or a Firedragon barrel which are compatible with a .40 S&W Sig slide and obtain a 9mm magazine.

If I had bought the P229 in 9mm, then you can not reverse the process as you can above without buying a much more expensive Sig Sauer X-Change slide, barrel and magazine(s).
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:52 pm

You've definitely done your homework. No matter if you need to do one of the exchanges you mention or it works forever as is - it should be a lot of fun. 8) :kickback:
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby lamarw » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:18 am

Your comments were timely and sharing. I say timely since I had just read everything I could about the possible issue. If I had not, I would of really appreciated your comments since the more we know the wiser our decisions.

This is the first .40 S&W in my accumulation. I was kind of forced into buying one. Last year at an auction, I bought a bunch of brass I needed and along with it came a coffee can with over 700 pieces of .40 brass. So, I needed the pistol so I could make use of the brass. :wink: See, I am all about wise decisions. Oh Yeah~ I have just bought a forty dollar die set and 1,000 bullets. All so I can reload for my new pistol. Us gun guys just need a nudge in any direction.
lamarw
Seasoned Member

Return to Other Firearms