Get a new SCCY or Radom p64?

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

Postby TrapperBob » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:02 pm

So I was at the LGS the other day to get a new SCCY CPX2 to replace one I sold about 6 weeks ago. But there I saw they had several Polish Radom p64s (in 9mm Makarov). All steel gun single/double action, with a solid reputation, except for the DA trigger pull which is usually in the neighborhood of 22 to 24 pounds (not an exaggeration, check into if you doubt me). I'm a sucker for milsurps, and the p64 is almost exactly the same size as the SCCY. Only 6 rounds though. LGS carries 9mm mak ammo, so that's not an issue. I can get a replacement spring to bring the double action pull to around 12. My issue is get the p64, solid reliable milsurp gun virtually no history of issues, but not common ammo and only 6 rounds, or get the Sccy. My last Sccy required 2 warranty fixes before it ran right, but it's lighter and uses a more powerful cartridge. Interested in other opinions. (Edited for spelling errors)
Last edited by TrapperBob on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TrapperBob

Re: Get a new SCCY or Radom p64?

Postby getvicious » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:28 pm

I looked at P64 as an addition. I have an issue with ammo, not the pistol. I've standardized on 9mm Luger, .380 ACP, .32 ACP, 22 LR and 22 Mag for handguns. That limits my gun choices but all the ammo is widely available. I may add to that but it will need to also be widely available. The 9mm Makarov ammo is just not as available as I want to depend upon. I'm just getting started setting up for reloading so my ammo availability standards may change when I get up and running.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wrench459 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 pm

getvicious wrote:... I'm just getting started setting up for reloading so my ammo availability standards may change when I get up and running.

I'm not sure about how far along you are with reloading.
Just to put this out there http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/h ... llets.html
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:41 pm

wrench459 wrote:
getvicious wrote:... I'm just getting started setting up for reloading so my ammo availability standards may change when I get up and running.

I'm not sure about how far along you are with reloading.
Just to put this out there http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/h ... llets.html

Thanks for the link.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby TrapperBob » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Made my choice. Picked the P64. Probably still get a SCCY at some point, but for the time being I'm Sccy-less.

$250 with holster, 2 mags, and 50 rounds of ammo. It looks a lot better in person than it does in this photo.

TrapperBob

Postby Freightman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:21 am

Smart, They make SCCY's all the time not going to be anymore p64's and brass can be made from 9mm easy.
Freightman

Postby ursamajor » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:07 am

The gun that shoots 9mm Luger. Looks like you made your decision.

I'm not in to curio guns-I'm into shooters, because I shoot the hell out of my guns. Once I tend to stop shooting a gun, I sell it. Unless it's a gun for a specific purpose-like a hunting rifle. Although, tbt, I still take those out somewhat regularly and shoot them-just for the trigger pulls, to stay sharp for when hunting season finally rolls around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ursamajor

Return to Other Firearms