Picked Up A Taurus TCP

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

Picked Up A Taurus TCP

Postby getvicious » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:14 pm

I picked up a Taurus TCP a month ago to pocket carry and use when my CPX is too big to carry.

It had several issues that I worked thru:
Wouldn't shoot FMJ ammo without a fail to load (round wouldn't slide up the feed ramp into the chamber) about 1 or 2 times each mag.
Wouldn't shoot Polycase ARX ammo without a fail to load (round wouldn't slide up the feed ramp into the chamber) about 1 or 2 times each mag.
The rear frame pin moves slightly to the left after shooting about 3 mags. About 1/16 inch.

I found a good amount of info about all these issues.

I polished the feed ramp before I fired it the first time when I did my initial tear down / inspection / clean & lube.

The fail to load issue was mostly due to the slide hold open tab that contacts the follower and activated the slide hold open lever. It protruded enough that the bullet in the round would hit it as it came to the top of the mag as the slide was cycling. The fix was file the tab a bit to get the needed clearance. It shoots FMJ rounds fine now. I haven't fired any Polycase ammo thru it since I filed the tab. Watching the Polycase ammo with the slide removed (when I was doing the filing) looks like I have it's clearance issue fixed too. We'll see when I try shooting some.

It fires Critical Defense fine, and always has since the pointy bullet didn't have the clearance issue the more rounded bullets had.

Haven't done anything with the frame pin yet other than tap it back flush twice. I may put a drop of red loctite on it next time it moves. It only moves slightly then doesn't move any more so it's hardly a major issue.

All in all I like it. Small, easy to conceal, easy to shoot and now shoots reliably.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Re: Picked Up A Taurus TCP

Postby wrench459 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:35 pm

What do you think about the dao four pound trigger?
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Four pound trigger? My manual says 5 – 7 pound trigger. In any case I don’t think about it at all when shooting. It feels a lot like my CPX – long and smooth. No problem shooting it at all. The trigger is thinner and much more rounded than my CPX. I like it.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wrench459 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:18 pm

I looked at a review
" The PT 738 has an absolutely amazingly smooth trigger, measuring just a hair over four pounds on my example."
Sorry...
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Mark38090 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:49 pm

I'm looking at the TCP and the LCP. I want one of them for gym shorts.
Mark38090
Forum Regular

Postby Renaldow » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 pm

I bought a TCP about 2 years ago, and wasn't a fan. I had FTE/FTF issues with it, and the mag would often eject while shooting it, mainly due to my hands. It also had a really light trigger (I wouldn't doubt the 4lbs!). I changed the rod and spring, polished the ramp, and that took care of a lot. But by then I was just tired of dealing with the pistol and didn't really trust it, so I sold it.

A couple of months ago I bought a Ruger LCP and have had no issues with it.

I have nothing against Taurus, I think their TCP just wasn't for me. I know a lot of people love them.
Renaldow

Postby getvicious » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Mark38090 wrote:I'm looking at the TCP and the LCP. I want one of them for gym shorts.

Something to consider is the TCP is now an out-of-production gun. Taurus has ended production which equates to about 5 years of warranty support (according to the Taurus forum folks who spoke to the Taurus folks). The LCP is current production and in fact recently updated (LCP II).

Not a big deal to me as I just don't particularly like the LCP. But I do have to say it seems to be a good pistol.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Renaldow » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:20 pm

Mark38090 wrote:I'm looking at the TCP and the LCP. I want one of them for gym shorts.

Another, perhaps better, option would be to wait until the new Taurus Spectrum is released and see how that goes.
Renaldow

Postby jimbojr85 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:16 am

I love my TCP and have never had any trouble with it. Of course I smoothed up the rough spots before I shot it, the same as I did with the wife's LCP. I actually think it's a better gun than the LCP with a superior trigger, better machining (smoother with fewer mill marks), and last shot hold open. Hopefully the new Spectrum is a good advancement.
jimbojr85
Forum Regular

Postby Mark38090 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:44 am

I ended up trading a cordless drill impact driver set for a Ruger LCP. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but couldn't pass up the deal.
Mark38090
Forum Regular

Postby sccytoter » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Mark38090 wrote:I ended up trading a cordless drill impact driver set for a Ruger LCP. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but couldn't pass up the deal.

Good for you! I have had mine for a few years now, and it has always performed well for me. :wink:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Return to Other Firearms