Recoil Spring

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

Recoil Spring

Postby HootmonSccy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Many (if not most) of you were not around for the Gen 1 SCCY... Even into the early Gen2 SCCY's there were Recoil rod issues and Many Many hate posts about the failures of this part. Why can't SCCY design their recoil rod like the P11, or like a dozen other guns...
I haven't seen a post about bad recoil rods in some time.. BUT.. I'm going to throw out something I ran into with my wife's Sig P238 (.380)

We have had her SIG for a few years, probably have 400 or so rounds through it..
She went shooting with one of her girl friends and had her 1st issue with her Sig..
The Armorer at the range took the gun apart and suspected that the recoil spring went bad (and it did!!!)
So, I had my wife order from SIG a new spring (actually 3 recoil springs and 3 firing pin springs come as a kit).. The kit was less than $15..

I have noticed that SIG redesigned the spring.. It went from a regular wire spring (see picture) to a flat metal coil.. The coil is also painted on one end because for some reason it needs to be oriented in a certain way (although I can't see any difference end to end, but may be in the tempering of the metal or something)..
SO, I just throw this out there for general knowledge...
Attachments
SigSpring.jpg
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Re: Recoil Spring

Postby fla-gypsy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:15 pm

I have bent two guide rods in my Sccy.
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
fla-gypsy
Forum Regular

Postby tripleb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Kimber did the exact same thing with their Micro 380.
tripleb
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:13 am

Bersa BP9CC has a flatwire recoil spring, too.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby wrench459 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:40 pm

I've been reading that I might need a 20# recoil spring over the stock one with a PF of around 175?
Is this true?
wrench459
Veteran Member

Return to Other Firearms