SCCY CPX-2. Any good?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: SCCY CPX-2. Any good?

Postby FastEddie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Sorry Renaldow,but you don't understand it either. Keeping mags fully loaded (per manufacturers/design specs) will not shorten the life of the spring or cause it to malfunction. What will definitely deteriorate your spring is loading/compressing beyond design load. So many on this forum are proud to load 11 or 12 into their mag. If SCCY has used correct design specifications, they have a spring that has a load capacity of 10 rounds. The act of loading more rounds will compress the spring beyond its designated specs, then unloading, either by hand or by firing causes the spring to operate beyond its design. Only time will tell for those folks.
Last edited by FastEddie on Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddie
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:11 pm

New Sky mags are best loaded with ten 124 grain rounds then let to set for a few days.
For faster compression use 147 gr or higher rounds. :whist:
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Renaldow » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Go shoot that pistol with the mag that's been loaded since 1942 and see how many rounds come out before the FTFs start. Then reload it and try it again.

Compressed springs take a set over time. There are numerous experiments that show that. Here's a random one where it was only compressed for 14 months.

http://www.ballistics101.com/mag_spring_experiment.php

Own old guns -- and actually shoot them -- and you'll soon find that original magazines in working condition for many models can be difficult to come by, because of this.

I don't care how you keep your mags, but don't expect a 10 cent spring to break the law of physics.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:10 pm

:bdh:
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby madmax » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:03 am

I have 4 carry one every day. still looking for the CPX-3
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Postby wrearick » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Renaldow wrote:
potee wrote:
I leave mine full all the time. Will my spring get too weak?

Eventually, yes. That happens with all mags. You really only want to have the ones you're currently 'using' (whatever that means for you) loaded, and then cycle them out to empties every couple of weeks. For instance, I have 4 mags. 2 are always loaded. About once a month I switch them out and load the 2 other mags and swap them out.

I do the same thing with my mags.....
wrearick
Veteran Member

Postby wrearick » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:12 pm

I have a S&W Model 36 chief's special and my SCCY is easier to CC than it is. I will carry the S&W as a back up in an ankle holster but my sccy is much easier to carry not to mention having twice the number of rounds available.
wrearick
Veteran Member

Postby Renaldow » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:14 pm

https://youtu.be/pch0J9-7i2k

:whist:

Keep believing compressed springs don't fail. Keep ignoring documented proof. Keep living with your head in a hole. Keep idiotic processes and myths alive.

Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby juror » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:35 am

Renaldow wrote:https://youtu.be/pch0J9-7i2k

:whist:

Keep believing compressed springs don't fail.

This is kind of a loaded statement. Compressed how much?: 10%? 35%? 98%? How long: 10 days? 10 months? 10 years? If you have the answers on SCCY guns, please show me your data.

And "failure" depends on a lot of factors.

For instance, how much spring force is necessary to move a few cartridges up a magazine to present themselves to the slide? A spring may be only 10% of its original force but still be fully functional.

The last question is, how many years do you expect a mag spring to last in a $250 gun with a lifetime guarantee? If it really bugs you, have SCCY send you a few mag springs and shut up about it.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby Renaldow » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:36 pm

It's not the cost of the gun. It's the cost of the spring in the gun or magazine. Live in the world of disbelief, but entropy always wins regardless of all the ifs, buts and shoulds you throw at it. Do as you want, but it's been my experience that denial and willful ignorance are the worst types of maintenance plans.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby baxter513 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:07 pm

I was always of the belief that If I load it as 9 + 1 that the spring would last forever.

In fact thats how I load all my guns, always 1 round less than full capacity

Maybe its an old myth but i would rather have 1 fewer round than a full clip that fails to fire during a criminal altercation.
baxter513

Previous

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion