Safety repair kit - additional instructions.

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Safety repair kit - additional instructions.

Postby HootmonSccy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:45 pm

THIS IS FOR GEN 1 PISTOLS ONLY...

I received the "repair" kit. (With NO instructions).
The instructions in viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11448 are for the lock kit and not the repair kit.
For the repair kit between steps 3 & 4 you need to move the right side lever up to just past the safe mode and pull on it and the lever and the attached shaft (which held the left side screw) will pull out through the gun. Wiggle it up and down until you hit the slotted part of the shaft that allows it to slide through the gun. This should NOT take much effort.
Lightly Oil the new shaft provided and slide it back into the gun from the right side. When the shaft is all the way through, flip the right lever to the safe mode.
Lightly pull on the brass plunger on the left side of the gun (just behind the shaft) and the plunger and spring should pull right out. Lightly oil the new spring and plunger and insert into the same hole.
Take new left side safety lever and push it onto the shaft insuring that the plunger is hitting the upper hole on the inside of the lever. The shaft is keyed so the lever is in the proper position (Matching the right side lever) so don't force it. I could not get the lever to press fully onto the shaft, so once I was sure it was positioned correctly, I took one of the new screws provided and inserted it through the left lever and tightened it until snug, seating the left lever.

I hope it helps!
Last edited by HootmonSccy on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: split thread and stuck
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Re: Safety repair kit - additional instructions.

Postby Toolman12345 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:30 pm

HootmonSccy wrote:I received the "repair" kit. (With NO instructions).
The instructions in this thread are for the lock kit and not the repair kit.
For the repair kit between steps 3 & 4 you need to move the right side lever up to just past the safe mode and pull on it and the lever and the attached shaft (which held the left side screw) will pull out through the gun. Wiggle it up and down until you hit the slotted part of the shaft that allows it to slide through the gun. This should NOT take much effort.
Lightly Oil the new shaft provided and slide it back into the gun from the right side. When the shaft is all the way through, flip the right lever to the safe mode.
Lightly pull on the brass plunger on the left side of the gun (just behind the shaft) and the plunger and spring should pull right out. Lightly oil the new spring and plunger and insert into the same hole.
Take new left side safety lever and push it onto the shaft insuring that the plunger is hitting the upper hole on the inside of the lever. The shaft is keyed so the lever is in the proper position (Matching the right side lever) so don't force it. I could not get the lever to press fully onto the shaft, so once I was sure it was positioned correctly, I took one of the new screws provided and inserted it through the left lever and tightened it until snug, seating the left lever.

I hope it helps!

Indeed - THESE are the instructions one should follow (thanks, HootmonSccy) for applying an improved Safety sent to you under warranty. Be sure to replace the brass plunger and spring that come with the new safety - as it is somehow different than the original one. My new safety clicks (and hopefully holds) into place MUCH better with the new brass plunger and spring. We went to the range and shot 200 rounds thru the weapon this past weekend with the new safety but with the OLD brass plunger and spring, and had several instances of the slide locking open with round(s) still in magazine, and a few instances where I pulled the trigger and it felt like dry firing - again with round(s) in the magazine and chambered. I'm hoping that was all from my safety just not quite functioning correctly (when it felt like it dry fired for me, I just cycled the safety to safe and back to fire and it worked after that each time), won't know till we hit the range next time. If I have trouble next time too, I will again shave off some of the left lever, as it definitely comes in contact with both my son's and my own hand just while holding the weapon - recoil is almost guaranteed to affect the lever. It wasn't until I was cleaning the weapon after the last range trip that it finally clicked about where that brass plunger and spring were supposed to go, under the left safety lever. I had seen something mentioned about it previously where someone else was confused about it, and for whatever stupid reason had it in my mind that it (the new brass plunger & spring) wasn't important while I was installing the new safety.
Toolman12345

Postby Gortok » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Got my kit in today...

WISH ME LUCK!!

:lol:
Gortok

Postby HootmonSccy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Gortok wrote:Got my kit in today...

WISH ME LUCK!!

:lol:

Read the Directions in the link on the 1st post of this thread and follow the instructions and you will be fine..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Toolman12345 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:27 am

If you have any loctite, you might want to use a bit of that - NOT so much that it drips off into the inside of the gun. But after installing all of my new safety kit pieces, it worked VERY loose during my next trip to the range. So maybe you should also take the correct sized screwdriver with you on your next shooting trip? Just a couple of thoughts.
Toolman12345

Postby Gortok » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:37 pm

It looks as though I got a "combo kit".
The replacement left side lever had a deep hole drilled in it and no valley for safe. This would essentially LOCK the safety on fire. This is not what I wanted, so I used the original lever (which I'd slightly modified), the new right side with cross-shaft and the new detent and spring.
What I've got now is a safety which is really tough to move from fire but easy to move from safe. Hopefully, this will work well.

I'll post again when I know for sure...

8)
Gortok

Postby wordcooper » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:01 am

I got the same thing as Gortok last week. I am testing it on Monday. I hadn't thought about combining the two kits. Maybe I will test that also. I am not sure I really need a safety anyway. If I am carrying it, the trigger pull is enough of a safety and if I am storing it, the child lock or a gun safe is enough.

The only thing I don't like is that the left side of the safety lever touches the bottom joint on my thumb when holding it high and I can see that getting painful with even 50 rounds. I may grind down the left lever to remedy that problem later.
wordcooper

Postby vulcan900custom » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:41 am

called SCCY today and told them while firing my SCCY that the safety broke and they would send me out one but they only ship out on friday's, i purchased mine last year and the safety would lock because of my big hands and they sent me a fedex call tag that same day which was a monday and i got it back on friday, now they only shipout parts on friday, this is a little disappointing to me that if you need a part that you should wait from now on till friday and call so it would ship out the same day but calling on a monday and having to wait till friday before it ships out is disappointing
vulcan900custom

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:44 pm

vulcan900custom wrote: this is a little disappointing to me that if you need a part that you should wait from now on till Friday

I don't think I've said it yet, Welcome to the forum Vulcan from Tampa Bay Floriduh!! Sounds like you are a motorcycle enthusiast!

I've been dealing with Sccy for over a year and Friday shipping has always been the way they do things..
I've known them to mail things on other days, but as they stated Friday is their shipping day policy.. Maybe they have someone that just comes in on Friday and deals with all the shipping, or maybe they have other reasons.. I'm not disagreeing that it is not the most customer friendly policy, just that that's the way it's always been (at least for a while).. At least they are responsive (for the most part) and pretty easy to work with.. IF I had to have an issue, Friday shipping I can live with..
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby vulcan900custom » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:57 pm

i'm not sure, i just remember when i had problem with the trigger they did not wait till friday, and that was on a monday to, it's not like i don't have any other to choose from to carry, but it is of my favorite because it's so lite, a lot has changed in a year i guess, enjoy
vulcan900custom

Postby AlonzoGodson » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:20 pm

I have a question to ask sccy 9. Today i sent off my wife sccy 9 to get repair,how long it would take to get back in do i have to have her with me im trying to suprise her. Can someone help me out please. Cause today i sent it off without her with me.
AlonzoGodson

Postby BigSwede » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:31 pm

When I bought my CPX-1 it had a broken left safety lever. I had the safety repair kit when I picked up the pistol at the FFL, I replaced the lever at the counter. The pistol worked fine; however when dry firing on occasion it would not fire. It appeared that that the safety would slip on on its own. If I would push down on the right lever it would fire. I then, following the directions provided at the start of this thread, replaced the right lever, brass plunger and spring and tightened the screw down. Now no problems with the pistol.

Thank you Hootmon for this thread. It was a great help. The repair kit did include instructions, but yours were clearer and had better detail. Thanks for the "hand-holding" from a newbie!

Shoot safe, shoot straight,

Ed
BigSwede
Seasoned Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:12 pm

That's what forums are for.. if you find a better way of doing something, or know how to do something not in the manual, take the time to help others too...
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby trustedstar1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Has anyone had trouble with the plastic safety on the CPX-1 ? I have had issues 3 times now and have requested another safety kit to replace the one that broke. Haven't heard anything back from them yet. Went to the sccyindustries site and it is not up and running now. Strange.
trustedstar1

Postby BigSwede » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Trustedstar1:

trustedstar1 wrote:Has anyone had trouble with the plastic safety on the CPX-1 ? I have had issues 3 times now and have requested another safety kit to replace the one that broke. Haven't heard anything back from them yet. Went to the sccyindustries site and it is not up and running now. Strange.

What broke? If was the left safety lever, don't tighten down the screw too much. That was broken when I bought my CPX-1, second generation. Use blue lock-tite on the screw threads and snug the screw. Overtightening can break the end of the safety lever. If it was something else call SCCY and talk to Jason. He can help you.

Also "sccy.com" is the current website. I've got it on right now.

Good luck. Shoot safe, shoot straight.

Ed
BigSwede
Seasoned Member

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion