Safety repair kit - additional instructions.

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: Safety repair kit - additional instructions.

Postby grandpa1466 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:51 pm

The safety on my CPX-1 2nd gen kept engaging while firing. SCCY sent me a replacement kit, and I used the longer plunger and spring along with my original safety lever with the holes drilled just a tad deeper. So far, it works like a dream.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln
grandpa1466
Veteran Member

Postby sccytoter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:01 am

I bought a CPX-1 Generation 2 last week, NIB. I have been reading these post here and wondered about these "safety" kits. Is this something that I should be looking into? I am going to the range this weekend to shoot this pistol for the first time, so I am hoping I don't have safety issues. :?:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:02 am

"safety kits" were originally issued for Gen 1 owners as an improvement to the original safety.
In this case, I believe the same "stock" parts were shipped out as any Gen 2 gun.. There is no improvement kit for Gen 2 as this has not been a common issue with Gen 2 guns.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby sccytoter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:07 am

HootmonSccy wrote:"safety kits" were originally issued for Gen 1 owners as an improvement to the original safety.
In this case, I believe the same "stock" parts were shipped out as any Gen 2 gun.. There is no improvement kit for Gen 2 as this has not been a common issue with Gen 2 guns.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that I wasn't :bdh: here on this subject. I will give a range report after I take the pistol to the range this weekend.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:00 am

The Gen 2 CPX-1 has a built-in safety improvement - the little raised part of the grip below the safety lever. It's designed to keep the shooters thumb away from the safety lever while shooting so the safety doesn't get bumped on.

As it states on SCCY's web site: "Manual Guarded Safety: CPX‐1 only. Newly designed with a guard molded into the frame."
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby mark7mod0 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:05 am

I know I must be missing something looking at my gen1 CPX1, because I can not figure out why I can not just take the safety completely off instead of using the newly designed safety lock out i received. Seems like to take out the screws, pins and the connecting shaft affects nothing else, but I know that can not be as simple as it looks.....what am I not seeing???? :?: :?:
mark7mod0
Seasoned Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:10 am

Jason has said not to do that... If you want to eliminate the safety, call SCCY and ask for the kit... They will send it to you for free...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby mark7mod0 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks Hoot, I did call and I received the kit. Was just saying looking at the safety assembly, I did not see why taking it off completely would not work also. I did not know anyone else had asked this before.
mark7mod0
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:44 pm

I can not figure out why I can not just take the safety completely off instead of using the newly designed safety lock out i received. Seems like to take out the screws, pins and the connecting shaft affects nothing else

Check out page 29 of your manual, the "RECEIVER PARTS LIST." The indexing pin and spring that makes the safety "click" is what holds the pivot for the hammer in place (HAMMER AXIS PIN). Take the safety off (remove the shaft) and the gun will not work.

The safety elimination kit doesn't eliminate anything, it just locks the safety in the FIRE position.

Maybe you can get the hammer axis pin for a CPX-2 from SCCY? The CPX-2 doesn't have the safety but must have a hammer axis pin and some other way to keep it stationary in the receiver. :?:
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jamicat » Sun May 06, 2012 10:13 am

I just bought a Cpx-1 #001xxx used from a friend.
He detached the safety, because it was kinda redundant and in the way, as per other users problems.

I haven't fired it yet. But, I don't see how the gun won't operate without it, unless the second generation is an opposite mechanism.

What I see, is that the safety lever while in Safe Mode, presses down on the Trigger Bar #01-014.
When in Fire Mode the Trigger Bar is unencumbered by the Through Pin on the Safety Lever #01-048. It is notched to facilitate this.

So, if you just pull the thing off, it is always in Fire Mode.

:kickback:

(Now that look a little closer, the Safety Lever Assembly might help keep the Hammer Axis Pin #01-024 from working it's way out after a while)
jamicat

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun May 06, 2012 1:52 pm

First, welcome to the site..
No safety can lead to issues per SCCY. Call SCCY and ask for a safety elimination kit, the will send it for free...
Keep us updated...
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Sccy-Captain » Mon May 07, 2012 11:05 am

The hammer axis pin will work it's way out without the safety lever to contain it. Changing the axis pin to the CPX-2's axis pin will not help either, it is kept in place by the polymer grip. And NO, the cpx2 grip will not work with any gen 1 receiver.
No such thing as knock down power,
only knock down accuracy
Sccy-Captain
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Mon May 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Check out page 29 of your manual, the "RECEIVER PARTS LIST." The indexing pin and spring that makes the safety "click" is what holds the pivot for the hammer in place (HAMMER AXIS PIN). Take the safety off (remove the shaft) and the gun will not work.

The hammer axis pin will work it's way out without the safety lever to contain it. Changing the axis pin to the CPX-2's axis pin will not help either,

With a CPX-1 perhaps the best thing to do is install the "Safety Elimination Kit" (which doesn't eliminate anything - it just locks the safety lever in the FIRE position) and trim the safety levers down as far as possible to keep the indexing pin in the left lever. You can trim the outside of the levers to make them thinner (not protrude so far from the side of the gun) and trim the length down to a bare minimum. They're made of soft plastic and trim easily with a knife.

I trimmed mine down quite a bit so they were well out of the way of my thumb and they continued to work normally (I want a working safety). If you want to lock them in FIRE you should be able to trim them down a long way. The left lever is the one that's important. The right lever should be able to be trimmed all the way down to the shaft as it's just a "follower" for the left lever.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jamicat » Sat May 12, 2012 9:41 pm

I guess I'll send for that "Safety Elimination Kit", before I start putting holes in targets.

Thanks for the replies.
jamicat

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun May 13, 2012 9:14 am

jamicat wrote:I guess I'll send for that "Safety Elimination Kit", before I start putting holes in targets.

Thanks for the replies.

Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion