What would YOU like to see SCCY make next???

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

What would YOU like to see SCCY make next???

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:07 am

In another post, I stated I went to the SCCY Home office..
I had a great discussion with several people there including Joe (CEO)..
We discussed the next gun to build.. Here is some of the discussion

The Wholesalers do not want to see another .380 on the market
IF they built a Single stack 9mm (Yes there are still plans for the MPX line) It would only be a little less than 1/4 inch thinner and be 6+1 instead of 10+1.
Is less than 1/4 inch worth 4 less bullets??

SO.. I was going to make a survey, but I have no idea what you folks would want.. So here is your chance..

DON'T just jump to respond YET, read the rest of the post 1st

What Pistol would you like to see SCCY build next and why..
NOW THINK ABOUT IT,

NOT just what you would like,

but what you really think would be marketable..

What pistol is missing, or could SCCY improve upon??

When you really think about it, it's a harder question than you originally think, because there are SO many out there already...

But here is your chance..

What would you like to see SCCY build AND WHY???

Include what features it MUST have.. ie:
Must fire with magazine removed
sights preference
Finger grooves in handle / smooth handle
DAO / SA
Caliber
+P capable?

Please include the Price Point (Retail Cost)..

etc..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Re: What would YOU like to see SCCY make next???

Postby getvicious » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:52 pm

Okay try this:

My CPX-1 measures 6" long, 4.5" tall with the flat base magazine (without the sights & flat based magazine it's 4" tall) and 1.25" wide at the outside of the safety levers (frame / slide is 1" - safety levers and slide release are way too thick)

1. A single stack 9mm Luger (pocket pistol) the size of a DB9 but with these features.
Locked breech
5" long
4" tall with sights and flat base magazine installed
.8" wide at frame/slide, no more than 1" wide at safety / slide release levers
Hammer fired, cockable/decockable
With Slide hold back (metal slide release so it's thin)
With safety (metal safety levers so they're thin) that is also a decocker
DA/SA (first shot DA then SA)
Sights like the CPX but only half as tall and rounded so won't catch coming out of a pocket
+P capable
Plastic frame based on CPX 2nd Gen

OR

2. A .45 AUTO single stack the size of the current CPX but with features of #1 above.

OR

3. A .22LR plinker
Blowback
Small like a JA22
With plastic frame
SA
Hammer fired
With safety
Sights part of the slide
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby rogertc1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Agree: A .45 AUTO single stack the size of the current CPX but with features of #1 above.
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby rogertc1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:56 pm

Thought of a .40 SCCY however I see KelTec gave it up making the P40. They coud not make them reliable in that calliber.

ref: http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=244013
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Great folks.. Keep it coming..

The conversation I had was that the single stack 9mm (MPX) could only be just less than a 1/4 thinner due to bullet size and having enough steel around for the blast.. SO, I'm pretty sure you would have difficulty making a .45 the same size as the present CPX, and then you have recoil with a caliber that large with a gun so small... Also If it was the same height, how many bullets could it carry?? 5+1 maybe??

IF they went to the MPX and you loose 4 bullets due to the reduced size, I would like them to beef it up to a +P as an offset.

Keep the ideas going..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby volunteerfirearms » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:30 pm

I own Volunteer Firearms which is a small gun store here in Tennessee. I sell the Sccy pistols but my customers seem to prefer the LC9 when they are comparing the Sccy and Ruger side by side. Yes the LC9 is close to $100 higher but my customers seem to prefer the slim single stack design. I think a single stack 6+1 that is lighter than the the CPX I think would sell. Set a goal for 15oz and width of .9" and keep the MSRP at least $50 under the LC9.
volunteerfirearms

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:50 pm

volunteerfirearms wrote:I own Volunteer Firearms which is a small gun store here in Tennessee. I sell the Sccy pistols but my customers seem to prefer the LC9 when they are comparing the Sccy and Ruger side by side. Yes the LC9 is close to $100 higher but my customers seem to prefer the slim single stack design. I think a single stack 6+1 that is lighter than the the CPX I think would sell. Set a goal for 15oz and width of .9" and keep the MSRP at least $50 under the LC9.

If it's the pistol I'm thinking of, the one thing I don't like about the LC9 is that if you pop the magaizing out, the pistol will not fire... If you are in a fire fight and you drop the mag with 1 still in the chamber at least you can continue to protect yourself with at least one shot while you are switching mags.. Just my opinion..

Thanx for your input..
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Sccy-Captain » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:11 pm

rogertc1 wrote:Thought of a .40 SCCY however I see KelTec gave it up making the P40. They coud not make them reliable in that calliber.

ref: http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=244013

the problem KT had with their .40s&w was they started with a 9mm pistol<---mistake #1
mistake #2 was using a magazine follower with no "legs" which allowed it to tilt in the mag body and fail the firearm.
mistake # 3 was assuming that the average shooter could handle the significant recoil generated by 40s&w cartridge in a 15oz platform. think standard weight 5 shot 2" 357mag kinda recoil.

I owned a P40 quite a few years back and was able to get it running like a clock but it lost 2 rounds from the mag and required hours of polishing and testing.
No such thing as knock down power,
only knock down accuracy
Sccy-Captain
Veteran Member

I would like to add a question to the original

Postby Sccy-Captain » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:13 pm

How much do you think it should cost?
No such thing as knock down power,
only knock down accuracy
Sccy-Captain
Veteran Member

Re: I would like to add a question to the original

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Sccy-Captain wrote:How much do you think it should cost?

Good point.. Added to 1st post.
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby rogertc1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 am

Perhaps they can keep the same capacity. The grip is really not that wide on the Gen 2 and very comfortable to me. Better control than with my Taurus PT 9. I find the grip too thin and uncomfortable. Thus the reason why people put tire tube on them.
I think SCCY should make the same gun but cut down in the length and height.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby volunteerfirearms » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:05 pm

You are correct that Ruger's LC9 will not fire with the magazine out. This is a built in safety feature (read lawyer mandated feature). I have been carrying a Gen 2 CPX-2 for months and I really like the pistol. My favorite concealed carry 9mm is Kahr's CM9, a little lighter, and thinner but it is priced at a different price point, I sell them for $405. Just my opinion but Sccy should and probably has done some market research on a thinner, lighter 9mm. Yes you will loose capacity but I think most consumers are satified with 6 or 7 rounds.
volunteerfirearms

Postby Corey M. » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:39 pm

volunteerfirearms wrote:I own Volunteer Firearms which is a small gun store here in Tennessee. I sell the Sccy pistols but my customers seem to prefer the LC9 when they are comparing the Sccy and Ruger side by side. Yes the LC9 is close to $100 higher but my customers seem to prefer the slim single stack design. I think a single stack 6+1 that is lighter than the the CPX I think would sell. Set a goal for 15oz and width of .9" and keep the MSRP at least $50 under the LC9.

Hey Aubrey, happy to hear your enjoying your CPX! Glad we could get you onboard. :D
Corey M.

Postby rogertc1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:57 am

One of these 15 rd mags for the SCCY:

http://www.keepshooting.com/kel-tec-p11 ... -15rd.html
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby getvicious » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:53 pm

How much do you think it should cost?

For the pistol I described as #1 I would think in the $275 - $350 range. For the 45 Auto, $400 - $450. For the 22LR plinker, $200 - $225.

Look at the Bersa Thunder 380CC for example. Other than being .380 rather than 9mm it's the #1 gun. The Bersa is available for $266 on line right now and about $330 from a local gun shop.

The thing about what I described as pistol #1 is that it's a pocket pistol. As much as I like my CPX-1, it's not a pocket pistol. The width limitation placed on a pocket pistol pretty much demands a single stack magazine if you're using any of the 9mm variations (or larger) rounds.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion