Frame Pins?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Frame Pins?

Postby Yiogo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:47 am

I am not sure what they are. Are they the pins up near the slide..one towards the barrel and one towards the hammer? At any rate one of them got loose and the other ones seems to be tight. I tapped the loose one back with a wooden dowel. Is a little loctite in order? Yiogo
Yiogo
Forum Regular

Re: Frame Pins?

Postby HootmonSccy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:58 am

Loctite, or if it is a gen 2, you can request the new (slightly larger) pins from SCCY
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Yiogo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Yes, thank you. It is a Gen 2. I'll go with the Loctite for now. George
Yiogo
Forum Regular

Postby Sccy-Captain » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:36 pm

I use a toothpick to apply the Loctite. Put loctite on toothpick, push toothpick through hole in reciever, remove toothpick, install pin, wipe off excess Loctite and let dry.
No such thing as knock down power,
only knock down accuracy
Sccy-Captain
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:39 pm

I am not sure what they are.....

Those hold the receiver in the frame so you don't want any play in them. You might consider calling SCCY to get the oversize pins sent to you under warranty "just in case." 8)

If it loosened once, there's a good chance it'll loosen again at some point.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Yiogo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks. Loctite is superglue. Is there something special about it or can I use any superglue? Yiogo
Yiogo
Forum Regular

Postby jax gunslinger » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Don't waste your time with the loc-tite, it doesn't hold long term. I recommend trying the upgraded pins. Super glue actually kinda welds/melts everything together. It may make things difficult to get apart if you needed to tear the gun down. I find it interesting that the first generation CPX's didn't have frame pin issues. The original pins were much larger, and more durable.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:48 pm

I wonder about roll pins instead... They provide more tension...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Yiogo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Thank you, all. I'll give SCCY a call as soon as I can. Yiogo
Yiogo
Forum Regular

Postby jax gunslinger » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:05 am

What was your round count before you started haveing frame pin issues?
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Sccy-Captain » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:05 am

Loctite is NOT superglue. Superglue will damage the polymer frame, Loctite will not.
No such thing as knock down power,
only knock down accuracy
Sccy-Captain
Veteran Member

Postby Yiogo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Jax, about 120 rounds. Captain, Loctite is a name brand. They do make superglues. Please be more specific. Here is the link. Please direct me to the right product. Do I want a thread locker? Yiogo
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products.shtml
Yiogo
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:38 am

Yes threadlocker. i have always used the high strength (red) and had no trouble loosening the bolt later if needed. I find the medium strength stuff never holds well for things I use it for (mostly motorcycles and car work).
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Yiogo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:59 am

Thanks, getvicious. Yiogo
Yiogo
Forum Regular

Postby Yiogo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:16 am

I have some of the larger frame pins on order. I also installed the new guide rod assembly as I was beginning to have issues there. Disabling the safety might be next as it was starting to turn on after each shot..all of a sudden. The pistol functioned well for 150 or so shots. Anyway, these are small things. I like the gun as it is one of the few I own that shoots where I am aiming and right out of the box. I'll try again at the range prior to fixing the safety problem which will be awhile. Yiogo
Yiogo
Forum Regular

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion