Frame Pins?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: Frame Pins?

Postby getvicious » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:35 pm

The last gun I shipped personally through Fed-X was a nightmare. First It needs to be taken to their hub..........

Okay - makes perfect sense now.

I hear you about the "My concern is Sccy has a know problem that's been going on for nearly a year." comment. I just know guns are like any other piece of machinery, some have better tolerances than others and some need "tuning."

Didn't you mention one of your Taurus 738's needed some tuning ("you may need to file the edge of the lever just slightly preventing it from rubbing against the cartridge")? It's all about what you are willing to do. If a little loctite solves a slightly loose tolerance issue, or a little filing a too tight tolerance issue, the question remains "are you willing to put up with that?" Apparently he and you are. I would too.

How many guns have had recalls? How many guns are on the B, C, D, E...... revision? Lots, and they are still considered good guns.

Here at the SCCY forum we see a skewed view of the world, as you do in any forum. You tend to see several issues mentioned by relatively few people, many of whom came here looking for some answer to some specific issue. How many people post on this, or any forum? The number of forum members is very small compared to the total number of owners. This implies most guns (SCCY) included, never give their owners any trouble at all, or they're perfectly willing to live with any minor issue they may have.

Thinking about the frame pin issue and the manufacturing world I have this opinion (which admittedly is no more "right" than yours or anyone's).
    SCCY changed the design of the 2nd Gen pistols to smaller frame pins.
    A few pistols were found to have frame pins that moved slightly with pistol use.
    SCCY changed their frame pin design to a slightly larger diameter pin.
    Manufacturing problem solved (now to address owners who may have this issue with pistols already in the field).
    SCCY offers two different fixes to current owners.
    1. SCCY finds that a drop of loctite can solve the frame pin issue in some cases so tells that to owners.
    2. SCCY makes the redesigned frame pins available to current owners at no charge.
    SCCY offers to replace the entire pistol for a current owner who has waited quite a while for new pins at no charge to the owner.

All this adds up to pretty good customer support in my experience. I wish the software companies I deal with every day were that responsive.

I don't know about you but I, personally, have never seen a manufactured device (with moving parts or electronic functions) that's absolutely perfect. I've seen and owned some things that came pretty close, in my opinion, but none have met that perfect standard.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jax gunslinger » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:00 am

GV, I couldn't agree with you more. But, with Sccy's long term reliability history, and the time it takes to get a fix out to the public you really have to wonder. How many years did they know about the recoil rod issues, before a new design was available? As I recall I've seen posts on this topic that were 10 years old. Double strikes on hard primers, still not resolved (wwb). They seem to be addressing the frame pin issues. However, its been a almost a year and replacement parts are still not available. And now in an effort to appease their customers, they're offering to replace entire guns. The amazing thing about this company is they only market one model with no accessories. You would think it would be the smoothest running machine out there. I think the owner at Sccy should look at the way Taurus has improved their brand over the years. They too had a sketchy reputation for a while, but have totally transformed their brand. You need to look no further than the Taurus-armed or Kel-tec forums to see happy customers, and a companies that are well managed and growing. Personally, I think there's allot to like about the new CPX. The smooth trigger, lifetime warranty and awesome customer service to name a few. But the upper management still gets low marks in my book for vision and addressing problem areas in a timely manor. ............ just sayin. :?
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby slowhand60 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Has anyone had to remove glued frame pins? My CPX-2 came from the factory with some sort of glue in the holes. I want to change my slide release and don't have a clue how to get the pins out.
slowhand60

Postby wrench459 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:17 pm

The oversized pins are ~.100in.
You will need to custom resize them BTW.
So a long drive pin punch slightly smaller should work just fine.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion