Sorry what is the deal with the guide rod?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Sorry what is the deal with the guide rod?

Postby mrwigglesworth » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Sorry guys but what is all the talk about?
How do you know if you have an older one?
Thanks
Dan
mrwigglesworth

Re: Sorry what is the deal with the guide rod?

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:42 pm

If your SCCY didn't come in a black box, you have an older style guide rod.
If yours did come in a black box you may have an older recoil rod...
The original rods has a metal washer (black). This would have one of two issues..
1) it would chew up the rod causing it to not operate smoothly.
2) the other end had am Allen screw that would sometimes loosen, then bend.
There are accounts that either of these conditions could cause a split in the slide, near the point of assy pin insertion (this is on the gen 1 pistols that had a thin area at this point.
SCCY developed an interim fix by using a brass washer instead of the original steel (I believe) washer.
This seemed to fix the chewing issue, but I am not sure about the longevity if the brass washer.
SCCY then developed the latest version which has a polymer washer... (which is also Black, like the original issue)
So, you need to check out the washer and see if it's brass colored OR metal. (yes I know brass is a metal)
If you have either of these, then call SCCY and ask for the latest version... Some early Gen 2's had the metal washer (red box)...

Either way, I have not heard of a brass washer version OR the latest version having the issue with the other end loosening, so they seem to have that problem resolved...

I hope it helps...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Phearly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Ok... I contaced Sccy & had them send me an updated guide rod assembly(I originally had the one with a brass washer). Thing is what they sent me has a black, metal washer on the one end(did the old magnet test on it to be sure). I was under the impression that the latest iteration had a black, delrin washer? With the amount of pressure on that washer I find it hard to believe that any type of plastic would hold up very long before cracking or deforming. Did they send me the wrong part or have they done another update to the assembly since the delrin? Thanks.
Phearly

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Phearly wrote:Ok... I contaced Sccy & had them send me an updated guide rod assembly(I originally had the one with a brass washer). Thing is what they sent me has a black, metal washer on the one end(did the old magnet test on it to be sure). I was under the impression that the latest iteration had a black, delrin washer? With the amount of pressure on that washer I find it hard to believe that any type of plastic would hold up very long before cracking or deforming. Did they send me the wrong part or have they done another update to the assembly since the delrin? Thanks.

Not that I know of... It should be metal at the barrel end (where it slips into the barrel slot), and plastic on the slide (front) side... (where it slips in the slide)
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Phearly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:52 pm

This one appears to have the metal washer, but there's no allen screw anywhere...the end of the rod is just rounded-over to retain the washer. Maybe they accidentally sent the wrong type. Oh, well....when/if the one with the brass washer gives out I will at least have a second one to pop in there right away. :D
Phearly

Postby mrwigglesworth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks Ill check mine to see what I have.
Dan
mrwigglesworth

Postby jax gunslinger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Throw the Sccy parts in the trash and replace them with the Keltec P11 plastic guide rod and spring set. They cost $3 from Keltec and that includes shipping. At that point you can forget about recoil rods issues and focus on where you can find 9mm ammo. :kickback:
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Phearly » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:26 pm

Jax...are the keltec parts a direct replacement for the Sccy parts and are there any known failure or longevity issues with using them? Thanks
Phearly

Postby jax gunslinger » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:17 pm

They will swap out with no modification. We have a member on this forum Navysteve who has 300 plus rounds through his CPX with out issue. You may want to PM him and get his take. I know his CPX was a little stiffer to rack the slide until the springs broke in a bit.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby Joe C » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:06 pm

I noticed the guide rod spring on my CPX 2 has collapsed inside the guide rod to where there is about 1/8" of free play in it now. When I reassembled the barrel into the slide the guide rod doesn't even put pressure on the barrel. My SCCY has around three to four thousand rounds through it and even with the loose rod it is still functioning flawlessly. I guess I'll be calling SCCY on Monday to see if I should get the guide rod replaced.

I certainly don't have any complaints about the reliability of my SCCY, just think the spring is flat out worn.
Failure is not an option
Joe C

Postby ursamajor » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:28 am

mrwigglesworth wrote:Sorry guys but what is all the talk about?
Thanks
Dan

Not a fan of the stock Sccy spring and rod. Swapped mine out with a 20 lbs Galloway Spring and Stainless Rod. IMHO it is a must do for the Sccy. The Stock Spring is too light. Since installing it, I’ve not had a single hiccup with the gun-no stove pipes/f2e’s, no f2fs. No matter what ammo I put through it. It is not picky in the least. I even intentionally limp-wristed it for 2 consecutive mags. No issues.

But with the stock rod/spring...different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ursamajor
Forum Regular

Postby Joe C » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:14 am

Got around to calling SCCY today and spoke to Charlie. Explained the guide spring was collapsed on the guide rod and he is sending me a new assembly today. I know a lot of folks put a heavier aftermarket spring in but for me with 3,000+ rounds without having any problems, I will stick with a stock guide rod and spring assembly.
Failure is not an option
Joe C

Postby ursamajor » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:42 am

Joe C wrote:Got around to calling SCCY today and spoke to Charlie. Explained the guide spring was collapsed on the guide rod and he is sending me a new assembly today. I know a lot of folks put a heavier aftermarket spring in but for me with 3,000+ rounds without having any problems, I will stick with a stock guide rod and spring assembly.

You had 3000+ rounds with not a single malfunction?

ursamajor
Forum Regular

Postby Joe C » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Call me one of the lucky ones I guess. In the beginning I had a few stovepipes and feed issues but after I tightened up on my grip those problems went away. I also stripped down the magazines, polished and throughly cleaned them. I still clean them as part of my maintenance program. At this point I can't remember the last time I had an issue. I put fifty rounds a week through it in practice so I feel comfortable with my carry gun.
Failure is not an option
Joe C

Postby sccytoter » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:19 pm

ursamajor wrote:
mrwigglesworth wrote:Sorry guys but what is all the talk about?
Thanks
Dan

Not a fan of the stock Sccy spring and rod. Swapped mine out with a 20 lbs Galloway Spring and Stainless Rod. IMHO it is a must do for the Sccy. The Stock Spring is too light. Since installing it, I’ve not had a single hiccup with the gun-no stove pipes/f2e’s, no f2fs. No matter what ammo I put through it. It is not picky in the least. I even intentionally limp-wristed it for 2 consecutive mags. No issues.

But with the stock rod/spring...different story.

Did not know they made them specifically for the SCCY.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion