CPX2 wont chamber a round

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

CPX2 wont chamber a round

Postby eculuke » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:46 pm

So my saga continues.....the cpx is my first even gun (not first fired). I took it to the range for the first time to fire and it wouldn't chamber a round. I figured it was me, I asked the range guy to help....he tried and the same thing happened....he had to slam it to get it to chamber but when he fired the next round got stuck. He thought the "ramp" was slightly to small. I was very upset thinking I had a dud. I took it to the store I bought the gun from immediately. His first reaction was that new guns needed to be cleaned first before shooting. I told him I had an experienced shooter look at it. He then said he would try with snap caps. He manage to get them to chamber with no problem. I am not sure if they are slightly smaller or what. Anybody seen this. When I try to chamber the round, the bullet points up at an angle. I am so bummed out, my first gun wont work right...help!
Luke
eculuke

Re: CPX2 wont chamber a round

Postby jax gunslinger » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Ok, a couple things to look at first. A new CPX sometimes needs to have the slide stop dropped while chambering the first round. After that it should feed the rest of the mag fine as the guns cycles normally. This might be a challenge if you have a model that has the new smaller slide lock lever installed. If you do, you will need to pull slightly back on the slide to clear the lock back lever, then let let the slide slam forward on its own. If doing this procedure chambers a round, and it fires and cycles normally after that you should be fine. This will get easier as the gun breaks in. If this does not fix your problem, then try the other magazine. You may have a mag with the spring reversed, or maybe both of them are backward. Additionally, I always recommend loading them up and letting them sit full for a couple days to loosen them up a bit. In summary, try dropping the slide to chamber the first round. Then take the mags apart and make sure the springs are not reversed. If they look good, then try the other mag. (its always a good ideal to number or mark your mags in case one develops a problem, that way you know which one it is) If none of this works, call Jason at Sccy and see if he has any ideas before you send your NEW gun in for repair. Good luck! :kickback:
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby madmax » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:43 pm

You did not say what type of ammo you are using maybe them bullet is not seated properly. I personally do use anything but PMC or Magtech ammo in mine. If you continue to have issues call Jason at SCCY and see what he suggests.
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Postby jeff7181 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:10 pm

madmax wrote:You did not say what type of ammo you are using maybe them bullet is not seated properly. I personally do use anything but PMC or Magtech ammo in mine. If you continue to have issues call Jason at SCCY and see what he suggests.

More importantly, use FMJ rather than JHP for the first couple hundred rounds as it's breaking in. They tend to feed easier than a hollow point.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby jax gunslinger » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 pm

jeff7181 wrote:
madmax wrote:You did not say what type of ammo you are using maybe them bullet is not seated properly. I personally do use anything but PMC or Magtech ammo in mine. If you continue to have issues call Jason at SCCY and see what he suggests.

More importantly, use FMJ rather than JHP for the first couple hundred rounds as it's breaking in. They tend to feed easier than a hollow point.

I totally agree with good quality brass FMJ for the first 100-200 rds.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby eculuke » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:31 pm

I tried 3 full metal jacket ammo with the same result ...I tried Winchester , tulammo brass, and federal. All seem to be catching. Even the snap caps aren't feeding properly now. I will add some pictures tonight
Luke
eculuke

Postby jax gunslinger » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:32 pm

eculuke wrote:I tried 3 full metal jacket ammo with the same result ...I tried Winchester , tulammo brass, and federal. All seem to be catching. Even the snap caps aren't feeding properly now. I will add some pictures tonight
Luke

Have you turned the mag springs around yet? Does it FTF with both mags?
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby eculuke » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:44 pm

yes....I actually have 3 total (all new) all three the same problem...I can now get the first one to chamber by pulling the slide back hard, but the second gets jammed.....

Luke
eculuke

Postby jax gunslinger » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Which type slide lever do you have? The one with the large plastic cover or the smooth steel one? If you have the large plastic one will it chamber a round by simply dropping the slide lever? Or if you have the newer version (smooth metal) will it chamber by slightly pulling back on the slide and letting it fall forward? If either of these techniques works for you then you need to fire the gun and see if it cycles the remaining shells normally after that. Your new gun may not hand cycle the rest of the mag until it breaks in and loosens up. I'm assuming that you've taken the mags apart and the springs are installed the correct way. If they are correctly installed and your problem is still present with every mag then you have another problem. It could be a barrel/feed ramp issue or maybe the cartridges are hanging up on the slide stop as they feed. You can check this by watching for movement of the lock back lever when you install a full mag in the gun. The lock back lever should not move up when you install a full mag, if it does it may cause a feed issue. You may also have a bent or chewed up recoil rod which could restrict the movement of the barrel when feeding. Did you buy this gun new or used?
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby eculuke » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm

I have the smooth steel lever...and yes now if the slide is back and I release it, the first round will reluctantly chamber. If I pull back the slide the next round gets stuck, today when I first loaded it up, I couldn't really get anything to chamber. I think when I go to shoot the second round it will jam or not feed. I am not sure what you guys mean by the magazine being backwards. Can somebody elaborate.
eculuke

Postby jax gunslinger » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:29 am

To check your mag springs; Take a small tool and press in the little button on the bottom of the magazine floor plate. At the same time slide the floor plate off. Right about now the spring has popped out and shot across the room. Gather up all the parts and lay them out on a table. You should have a plastic mag follower, long oval shaped spring, flat floor plate with a loop on one end that the bottom of the spring attachés to, and bottom floor plat or pinky extension which ever your using. Lay the mag housing down with the feed end to your left, longest side down. Then place the mag follower next to it as if you were going to install it. Now look at the spring and install the tall or pointed end into the follower. Slide both of those pieces back inside the mag, compress the spring and re-install the base plates. Remember the tall part of the spring goes in the forward or tall part of the mag. I'm sure there are tons of Youtube videos out there that can get you through reassembling the mag. Here are a couple pics of an old Smith mag I had laying around as an example.
Attachments
DSCF4125.JPG
DSCF4126.JPG
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby eculuke » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:15 am

I checked and all three springs are in the correct orientation.......
eculuke

Postby ChrisTX » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:51 am

What do the cases look like afterwards? Dings? Scratches?
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby eculuke » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:54 am

Yes they are definitely rubbing on the the top of the barrel at an angle when trying to be chambered. I did talk with Jason this morning, he said most feed problems come from the hand slowing the slide momentum. I am able to hit the slide release to chamber the first round but its the next round I am most worried about. He gave me some tips and told me to go run 50 rounds, and to expect some jams but that it should get better. He said smaller guns are more fickle in this sense. He said if it doesnt work they will get me a shipping label to send it back and he will likely polish the ramp and check it out. Stinks this is happening with a new gun, but on the bright side I am learning alot...lol

- Luke
eculuke

Postby eculuke » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:24 pm

Im thinking about polishing the feed ramp to see if that helps...I have a dremel and some polishing compound...will this cause warranty issues? Jason said if it didnt work still, they would ship it in and likely "polish the feed ramp"......wanted to get everybody's feedback

Luke
eculuke

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion