CPX2 wont chamber a round

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: CPX2 wont chamber a round

Postby wknight40 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Sure it is not a "limp wrist" issue? Has anyone else tried it to if it happens with them also?
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby jeff7181 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:48 pm

eculuke wrote:Im thinking about polishing the feed ramp to see if that helps...I have a dremel and some polishing compound...will this cause warranty issues? Jason said if it didnt work still, they would ship it in and likely "polish the feed ramp"......wanted to get everybody's feedback

Luke

I probably wouldn't use a dremel if it were me... I'd get some crocus cloth and buff it up with that.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby ChrisTX » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:53 pm

I wouldn't use a dremel unless you use one of the fabric buffers. You only want to polish, not remove material. Use a dowel rod or round pen housing and wrap it with about 1000 grit sandpaper. It won't take much to get it slick.

When you chamber a round, pull the slide back as far as it will go, then let go of it. I don't know why so many people on this forum have so much trouble with that.
ChrisTX
Veteran Member

Postby jeff7181 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:43 pm

ChrisTX wrote:I wouldn't use a dremel unless you use one of the fabric buffers. You only want to polish, not remove material. Use a dowel rod or round pen housing and wrap it with about 1000 grit sandpaper. It won't take much to get it slick.

When you chamber a round, pull the slide back as far as it will go, then let go of it. I don't know why so many people on this forum have so much trouble with that.

If people are indeed having trouble with it because they're "riding the slide forward" it seems to me that replacing the slide release with the slide lock was a horrible idea.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby eculuke » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Jason @ SCCY said if I wanted the release piece they could add it but that most experienced shooters prefer the lock....I was going to use a small cotton buffing wheel and some polish on a light speed.....I saw several videos on youtube doing this.......I guess it would be less abrasive to use 1000 grit sandpaper around a pencil. After lots of practice I am able to get the rounds to chamber by hand cycling the slide (not sure if that's the right terminology). My worry is that when firing it wont do it on its on.

-LR
eculuke

Postby HAMBONE » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:31 pm

If you have it feeding by hand now it's going to feed if you shoot it. Take it out and shoot it. Might be perfect.
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby eculuke » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Thats the plan Hambone....I have a feeling the range is going to be PACKED with people off......On a side note, we had a gun show here in raleigh on sat-sun and I picked up a brand new glock 19 gen 4 for 499.00 + tax.....pretty sweet deal...I plan to use the SCCY as my CCW gun when I get my CCW.

Luke
eculuke

Postby nick » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:47 pm

I had the same issue and put my sccy thru its paces again today. Things are much improved. You definitely need to pull the slide back ALL THE WAY then let go. If you hamfist it or guide it back it can get hung up.

99.9% you have the exact same problem as me.

The gun needs to be broken in and the magazines need to be broken in. I left one mag loaded and one mag unloaded so that i had a control group. After a week of the mag being loaded it shot just fine and the other mag had some difficulty.

Load the Mags with 10, let them sit in your gun safe until you get a chance to shoot it again. It worked for me.

My personal rule for a CCW is it has to go to the range and fire 1000 rounds flawlessly. If you are worried about the gun mucking up should you need it, pick a number you are comfortable with and shoot shoot shoot. Once you hit that number get 100 or so rounds of HP hot loads that you are going to actually use for self defense and shoot those too with no problems.

I feel like the "pull the slide back all the way" thing is kinda weird. My dad hamfists his G19 almost every time he racks the slide and it never failed to chamber. The SCCY is a bargain gun, I think it operates flawlessly when used properly but maybe for twice the price i would want to carry a gun that would operate flawlessly even taking into account user error.
SCCY CPX-2 BB 9mm
S&W 637 J-Frame .38 SP
S&W M&P22 .22LR
nick

Postby HAMBONE » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Also Idk what you shoot but I have 200 blazer brass and 150 herters select brass through mine with zero issues. Gun seems to love blazer brass.
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby kjphilippona » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:21 am

parkerd wrote:My initial SCCY would not chamber a round by racking the slide. Thinking I am not nearly as perfect as I think I am, I had five other experienced shooters attempt it, with the same failure to load. It would hang up just shy of chamber and needed a swat on the back end of slide. After trip 1 back to SCCY the problem was resolved and it racks away like every other gun I have used (well not the revolvers). So maybe it is the gun and not the people with the problem.

I agree with you, especially when i take two new SCCY CPX-2's to the range and and fire the same ammo and one has no problems feeding or ejecting and the other would not feed or eject 50 of the 100 rounds i tried to fire thru the gun (50 Remington 115gr FMJ and 100 Federal 115gr FMJ ). One thing i did notice that i have not seen mentioned in this forum is when i installed the new magazine extension plate it does not snap tightly into the gun mag well and can be moved around. When i grip the gun my pinkie will pull the magazine backward causing the mag to tilt forward, this can cause feeding issues.
kjphilippona
Forum Regular

Postby kjphilippona » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:18 pm

The problem i have is with the original plates the magazines will not lock into the gun :(
kjphilippona
Forum Regular

Postby wknight40 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:34 pm

They can be sanded down a little at a time to fit better.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby kjphilippona » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:17 pm

wknight40 wrote:They can be sanded down a little at a time to fit better.

Thanks, i will give that a try when the gun comes back :D
kjphilippona
Forum Regular

Postby HAMBONE » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:27 pm

When you get it back it will have the right plates on it already.
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby Jlandis003 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:18 pm

parkerd wrote:My initial SCCY would not chamber a round by racking the slide. Thinking I am not nearly as perfect as I think I am, I had five other experienced shooters attempt it, with the same failure to load. It would hang up just shy of chamber and needed a swat on the back end of slide. After trip 1 back to SCCY the problem was resolved and it racks away like every other gun I have used (well not the revolvers). So maybe it is the gun and not the people with the problem.

The one I bought today is going back... Ridiculous they are making a gun with so many problems feeding...
"I have only one thing to say to the tax increasers: Go ahead, make my day." Ronald Reagan, 3/13/85
Jlandis003

PreviousNext

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion