Slide lock vs slide release

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: Slide lock vs slide release

Postby 89grand » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:46 pm

When I bought mine last Friday, the dealer had both, I chose the flat, "slide lock" version. I'd probably prefer it still functioned as a slide release and I'm not really sure why it doesn't, but as a pocket/conceal gun, the reduction in overall width was worth it. I think a slide release is usually better than sling shoting, as I've seen too many people ride the slide back home, instead of letting it slam shut on its own, whereas the slide release just lets it slam shut. No big deal, I'll just sling shot it.
I'm a lead farmer mother ******!
89grand
Seasoned Member

Postby DoulosXristou » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:18 pm

My slide lock is on it's way from Sccy now. Hopefully, should be here soon. I'll try both ways and see what works best for me. I just like having the option.
~Chris
"when talking defensive tools/weapons...pretty is as pretty does." ~ Sccy-Captain

Sccy CPX-2TT 092XXX
CZ 75D PCR Compact w/ Factory TruDot Night Sights B4411XX
DoulosXristou
Forum Regular

Postby HAMBONE » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:19 pm

They both work exactly the same. They both release the slide.
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby DoulosXristou » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:40 pm

HAMBONE wrote:They both work exactly the same. They both release the slide.

Astute observation, Hambone. More accurately, they both hold the slide in the rearward position. The release provides a lever so the slide can be brought in to battery without other manual manipulation. The slide stop, on the other hand, provides no such leverage thereby requiring the shooter to slingshot the slide. My intended meaning was whether having the slimmer slide lock fit my carry profile better than the full release. I shall endeavor to make the clarity of my future posts crystalline in the hope that misunderstandings can be minimized.

Now that's over with. I did receive my slide stop today and swapped parts. I like the slimmer profile. Time will only tell if I decide to leave it this way, or swap it back.

89grand wrote:When I bought mine last Friday, the dealer had both, I chose the flat, "slide lock" version. I'd probably prefer it still functioned as a slide release and I'm not really sure why it doesn't, but as a pocket/conceal gun, the reduction in overall width was worth it. I think a slide release is usually better than sling shoting, as I've seen too many people ride the slide back home, instead of letting it slam shut on its own, whereas the slide release just lets it slam shut. No big deal, I'll just sling shot it.

Having made the switch and examined the two parts side by side, I would hazard a guess that the polymer of the release gives necessary leverage missing from the smaller stop.
~Chris
"when talking defensive tools/weapons...pretty is as pretty does." ~ Sccy-Captain

Sccy CPX-2TT 092XXX
CZ 75D PCR Compact w/ Factory TruDot Night Sights B4411XX
DoulosXristou
Forum Regular

Postby 89grand » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:31 pm

I think you're right on the leverage. I did manage to release the slide with the "slide lock" but it wasn't easy, and nothing I plan on trying to do regularly.
I'm a lead farmer mother ******!
89grand
Seasoned Member

Postby HAMBONE » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:36 pm

I always used the slide lock to chamber a round. My new gun came with the release. It works the exact same just has more mass to put your thumb on. If you have strong thumbs your good to go either way. Now I will say when I got the first gun with the lock, it was too stiff to use. After 200 rds it was very nice.
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby myhobbyz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:00 am

rogertc1 wrote:Not a big deal...Just makes dumb dumbs rack the slide instead of use the lever. More reliable function for idiots. Much of the newbies have never had firearm training other than Call of Duty which really doesn't train anyone. But this is just my opinion and I am old and served during Vietnam.

There are plenty of reasons but try to use the "lever" slide/stop on a ppk or lots of others... ohh wait, they do not have one. Probably why dumb dumbs' like Clint Smith and most world renowned instructors teaches to power stroke the slide (slingshot) it instead.
YOUR LACK OF PLANNING IS NOT MY EMERGENCY.......
myhobbyz
Forum Regular

Postby Yeoman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Sorry to bring back such an old thread but does anyone know if the flat slide lock is still available?
A man does evil enough if he does nothing good.
Yeoman

Postby Yeoman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:47 pm

I contacted SCCY service and the flat slide lever is still available. It's free of charge but must be sent to a Dealer; it can't be sent to an individual customer.
Yeoman

Postby Yeoman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:51 pm

I picked up the flat slide lock from a local dealer last week and got it installed today. I definitely like it better than the raised one, and with the 20lb recoil spring installed I can slingshot the slide no problem.

Yeoman

Previous

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion