steel cased ammo

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: steel cased ammo

Postby johnorberson » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:30 am

I was told by the gun store and the manufacturer that because of the coating and the hardness of the case the steel cased ammunition shouldn't be fired because it will gum up the barrel and the steel case is hard on the extractors. I, like a lot of others, was tempted by the price at Wallyworld and bought 50 rounds of the ammunition, but I've been afraid to fire it for damaging the extractors of the guns more than worrying about the "dirty" nature of the ammunition. I have my doubts as whether it would hurt the extractors of modern day firearms. When I was stationed in Europe that is the only ammunition that we could get and I never once had a problem with it wearing the extractors out on the Colt 1911A1 or a problem with dirty ammunition. IMHO the modern ammunition is a lot better than it was in the 80s and a little more reliable than it was. The ammunition manufacturers have to meet certain standards to import into the US and I would think that those standards would be high enough that problems wouldn't be encountered. I don't know, but I have a box of Tula ammo sitting on the shelf for from the manufacturers mainly with explicit guidance not to fire steel cased ammunition. I would like an honest and unbiased opinion as to my concerns. As a standard load I carry 115 grain Winchester rounds or Blazer rounds in my guns for the most part. I have found that with defensive firing the hollow point rounds don't have enough distance to "blossom" when fired at close range so I carry the FMJ rounds.
johnorberson

Postby Nam62 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:43 pm

I have reloaded about 100 reloads steel case 45 acp that I use when I am out in the bush. I hate to loss my good cases. I have had no trouble with them.
It takes extra effort to resize them. Thats the only thing I don't like. Also I put my 120 gr. swc. cast bullets in them.
Nam62

Postby Orangedotfever » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:30 pm

I have fired about everything I have on hand through my CPX-2. My reloads with Hi-Tek coating, Perfecta, Winchester USA, Hornady XTP, some brass cased berdan primed stuff called Leader from Italy, some old remanufactured stuff from the now defunct D&S ammo company AND Wolf black box.

Everything has functioned perfectly in MY SCCY. Your's may not. SCCY says their pistols may not. So if you do fire rounds in your SCCY that they don't recommend that you use, don't complain if they don't function properly.

Steel cased ammo is rougher on any parts that it comes in contact with from a friction and wear standpoint. That's the physical characteristic of steel just plain being harder than brass. You pay your money and you take your chances. Sounds like SCCY's warranty will cover it anyway.

As for the coating on steel casings coming off and gumming up your chamber, that's been proven to be false.
Orangedotfever

Postby Orangedotfever » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:39 am

Well parkerd. I don't have to go to a gun range. I walk out in my back yard and fire at my leisure, anytime I want. I owe you no explanation, but I purchased my SCCY on a Friday and had all weekend to test it and play with it since SCCY doesn't answer their phone on weekends (i tried calling them on Saturday by the way). I routinely will reload 10 rounds, step outside and fire them over the chronograph and step back inside to load another set for more results. It takes 5 minutes for me to shoot a set running them on my 550B. On the first weekend of owning this pistol I fired most of this ammo over my chrono to get data for my reloads based on the manufactured ammo I have on hand. I did have to reinstall the mag release spring after the second magazine but that took a total of 10 minutes. I didn't say I shot a whole box of each type of ammo but enough to get an idea of function and chrono results since pistols will usually show feed problems when brand new and less so after broken in, but you know this. As for the gumming up by steel cased ammo, it's not due to the coating on the casings as has been spread around. it's due to dirty powder and poor case seal in the chamber. Why do you choose to be so skeptical?
Orangedotfever

Postby rkennedy525 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:31 pm

I'm always amazed at how upset people get when the discussion of steel cased ammo comes up. I have used it for years and never had a problem. My AR-15 has never had anything but steel cased, either Monarch from Academy or Wolf Polyformance. I have run hundreds of rounds of Monarch thru my SR9 and my CPX-2 with no issues. That being said, I don't buy it as a normal anymore since I found brass ammo at similar prices. What I find interesting is that as stated by someone earlier, steel cased ammo is widely used elsewhere and the brands are not no-name brands. If Wolf, Bear and Tula were no-names they wouldn't be selling the massive amounts of ammo that they do. Either way I think like caliber debate, its a personal choice you make and there will always be people who say "OMG I can't believe you're actually using that crap" and ones that say "I use it, no problems". What difference does it make and why are some of you people so intent on your opinion being the only one that's right. Kinda senseless. If you don't want to use it, don't. But why do feel the need to bash someone that chooses to use it? Because you're the leading expert in the world on steel cased ammo? Don't think so.

To the original poster.....do the research and then come to your on conclusions.
rkennedy525

Postby randy726w » Tue May 10, 2016 2:50 pm

I tried it once and it shot fine but it was really dirty. It didn't even smell like normal ammo when it was fired. Never used it again. I get Blazer, Remington or Winchester at Academy for less the 13 dollars a box so really no need.
randy726w

Postby rickyblaze » Wed May 11, 2016 7:58 am

There's a video on YouTube where a guy shots like 6000 rounds of steel cased through his CPX-2 before cleaning it. But if I remember correctly it breaks around the 6000 mark. That's still impressive

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
rickyblaze

Postby arcus10mm » Wed May 11, 2016 8:46 am

rickyblaze wrote:There's a video on YouTube where a guy shots like 6000 rounds of steel cased through his CPX-2 before cleaning it. But if I remember correctly it breaks around the 6000 mark. That's still impressive

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNlMzNUDM8s
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion