Changing a CPX-1 to a CPX-2?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Changing a CPX-1 to a CPX-2?

Postby James0235 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:17 pm

In February of this year at a gun show I bought my first gun - a CPX-1. I loved the look and the feel of it. But, when I took it to the range for the first time I noticed that the little raised guard below the manual safety would rub up against my thumb as I fired. I could not seem to get a good grip on the gun without this happening.

A couple of guys at the outdoor range who had many, many handguns with them looked it over. They both said it was a nice looking gun and were incredibly impressed when I told them both the MSRP and what I had actually paid. But, after handling it and taking a few shots, they both said that the safety is just too low on the gun to grip the gun properly.

When I took my CCW the NRA certified instructor tried it out. He said the same thing. Someone who works at another local range said the same thing. And on and on and on.

The last time I took the gun out it rubbed the skin off of my thumb. So, I am wondering if there is a cheap and easy conversion kit of some type available that might allow me to change my CPX-1 into a CPX-2 with no manual safety.

In its place I have been carrying the 2nd handgun I have so far purchased - a Kel Tec P3AT. I love this little gun but would really like to start carrying my SCCY sometimes. Is there an affordable way to solve my problem or is it just wishful thinking?
James0235

Re: Changing a CPX-1 to a CPX-2?

Postby sccytoter » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Seems to me that about a month or so ago, someone on this site posted up some pictures of how they did some "work bench" mods to their CPX-1 safety to relieve the problems that you are having with rubbing your skin raw. Wish I could remember exactly where this was at, but I can't.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby GoesBang » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:03 am

It really depends on whether you want to keep a manual safety on the gun or not.
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:21 pm

James0235 wrote:In February of this year at a gun show I bought my first gun - a CPX-1......

The last time I took the gun out it rubbed the skin off of my thumb. So, I am wondering if there is a cheap and easy conversion kit of some type available that might allow me to change my CPX-1 into a CPX-2 with no manual safety.

In ........ Is there an affordable way to solve my problem or is it just wishful thinking?

Call SCCY and talk to them, there's options to disable the safety but keep it or to convert to a CPX-2. You might also check the SCCY web site FAQ page (http://www.sccy.com/faqs). Others have done a conversion and others have sent their pistols in to have SCCY do the conversion.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby slayer61 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:43 am

My wife had the same trouble with her CPX-1. After a couple of emails to SCCY, they agreed to change it over to a CPX-2 model. Done. The pistol came back and off to the range we went. Now the trigger doesn't always reset after a shot. Back into the box and back to SCCY. It's due back today, I'll let you know how it goes.

See here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15989
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Paul
slayer61
Forum Regular

Postby James0235 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:21 pm

After deciding to call SCCY and see about changing my CPX-1 to a CPX-2...I promptly forgot about it for a couple of months.

But, today I remembered and gave them a call. I should be sending it off some time in the next few days so they can make the change. While they are at it they will replace my slightly walking frame pin, determine why the last round hold open works with only 1 of my 3 mags, look at the extractor (tons and tons of jams all of the sudden), and change the black frame to the FDE.
James0235

Postby Novice49 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:50 pm

see my post at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16186

I experienced the same painful thumb as did the person who started this thread.
But, SCCY informed me today that it no longer is doing conversions or disabling safeties. It will be selling replacement frames through the store on its website for those wishing to convert their CPX-1 to a CPX-2.
Novice49

Postby getvicious » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:22 pm

Novice49 wrote:see my post at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16186

I experienced the same painful thumb as did the person who started this thread.
But, SCCY informed me today that it no longer is doing conversions or disabling safeties. It will be selling replacement frames through the store on its website for those wishing to convert their CPX-1 to a CPX-2.

SCCY is notoriously slow about their web store. They were saying it was coming soon for at least 5 years. But, at least they have it up now. I wonder how long it will be before they get the frames and associated parts to do the conversion for sale. Hopefully within a month.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby frank » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:28 am

think i would just `moto tool ` the offending high spots off the safety lever ,and go with that . one of the big appeals of the cpx design to me
is the safe carry double action design . just don`t like carrying striker fired guns with one in the chamber and no safety even though i own
several like that -------------
frank
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:29 pm

frank wrote:think i would just `moto tool ` the offending high spots off the safety lever ,and go with that . one of the big appeals of the cpx design to me
is the safe carry double action design . just don`t like carrying striker fired guns with one in the chamber and no safety even though i own

Shaping the safety levers or even making them shorter won't effect the warranty, so if that works why not?

BTW - The CPX is a hammer fired pistol.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby bigdee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:19 pm

getvicious wrote:
frank wrote:think i would just `moto tool ` the offending high spots off the safety lever ,and go with that . one of the big appeals of the cpx design to me

Shaping the safety levers or even making them shorter won't effect the warranty, so if that works why not?

BTW - The CPX is a hammer fired pistol.

I agree 100% that is why I chose the SCCY for CC. I bought the CPX-1 only because I could not find a CPX-2 at the time. I have no use for the safety and was afraid it might accidentally get moved to "safe" so I disabled it.
bigdee

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion