SCCY CPX-2 MODS w/ PICS - Looks like a new gun

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

SCCY CPX-2 MODS w/ PICS - Looks like a new gun

Postby Simester » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:12 pm

I like my new SCCY very much, but all the extra meat on the grip made it difficult for me to reach the center of my shooting-digit to the trigger.
This forced me to turn the gun to the right which resulted in a wicked slice and a blistered upper thumb from the recoil. I didn't realize this was a problem until I told Jason @ SCCY about the thumb and he correctly diagnosed the problem.
After a failed first attempt to reshape the original black frame, I tried again with the replacement I got (in the desert sand khaki color) and here are the results:
sccy-full2.jpg

I used a Dremel kit with various attachments (mostly the pink, blue, and white grinding cones) to grind away what I didn't want and then to smooth out my work, essentially sanding down the rough spots.

In my first attempt, I removed the entire 'recoil cushion' from top to bottom, not realizing that I would need to leave untouched the bottom/rear part of the grip that surrounds the springed end-cap. Even in this redo, I shaved off too much, such that if I looked through the hollow of the grip at a light, the rear wall appeared too translucent.
To reinforce it, I brushed on some of this to the back (which I got from Michael's):
epoxy.jpg
epoxy.jpg (31.7 KiB) Viewed 3317 times

...and after it hardened, it made a nice, smooth, sturdy rear grip:
sccy-reargrip.JPG

Before I painted it, I restipled it using a wood-burning/soldering kit from Harbor Freight with a rounded attachment head that was approx the size of a Sharpie tip:
sccy-stipling.JPG

Finally, I painted it using a flat black spray and then multiple coats over a 24-hour period of a flat clear epoxy coat.

sccy-full2.jpg

I also modified the magazine base (which I learned from someone else on this forum...thanks.)

If anyone has any questions or needs to know more specifics I'd be happy to answer what I can.
Simester

Re: SCCY CPX-2 MODS w/ PICS - Looks like a new gun

Postby jdinky » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
jdinky
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:54 pm

Good job. 8)
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Mrbone » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:58 pm

Aww man that is super sweet! When I get another edc, I'm going to do that. Stupid recoil cushion is a joke anyway. Nice job!
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby Pocket_Pistol » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:35 pm

https://youtu.be/b1zVcwc03H8

This would apply if your gun were too large as well.

Watch video to see proper finger placement on the face of the trigger.

Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.
Pocket Pistol

"No longer waiting for the MPX"
Pocket_Pistol
Veteran Member

Postby chico » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:23 pm

I'm sorry I do'nt mean to offend but it really is WTF ,looks like the grip is made of silly putty! :shock:
chico

Postby BadMonk » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:11 pm

If the mods makes your interface with the gun safer or better, then it's a good thing. Personally, I don't get high on how a gun looks. I'm (overly) practical. If the firearm performs that's all that matters, to me. Stippling has its admirers and its critics. I stippled the handle of a .40 S&W. It helped my grip so it doesn't matter what anybody thinks about it. Having said that I wouldn't stipple the trigger guard because it adds no practical value to me (YMMV).

In the long run, it's your gun and if you like it, then it's good to go...so get going to the range and enjoy it.
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion