Slide lock spring broke !!!!

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Slide lock spring broke !!!!

Postby rwt101 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:39 pm

Went to the range today and had several problems. First the slide pin fell out. Then the slide was staying back before the mag was out.
So I just started to check it out and found out that the slide lock spring broke. Part of the spring is still in there. So I will get in touch with SCCY and see is I can get another one.
Bob T
rwt101
Forum Regular

Re: Slide lock spring broke !!!!

Postby economod » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:44 pm

I've had my new CPX-2 to the range twice now, shooting about 100 rounds each time. Yesterday, the slide was repeatedly locking back before the magazine was empty. It would happen 2-3 times during each magazine. Today I realized that, with the magazine dropped out, the slide hold (01-036) lever, moves freely up and down ... the slide hold spring (10-028) is not holding the lever down like it should.

I watched a youtube video about changing the lever from old to new style (mine is old style, which I prefer for now), and it appears to me that my spring wire is behind the lever, not on top like it should be. I could buy the punch, and could disassemble the receiver from the frame and reposition that spring wire.

But, it appears to me that the poly frame is slightly bulged-out because the spring wire is tucked behind the lever. The bulge is in the thin top wall of the frame, starting at the front of the receiver and goes back 2" to the cutout for the slide hold lever. The top edge of the poly frame is perfectly straight on the other side of the receiver. I'm concerned that if the bulge doesn't return back to its straight profile after fixing the spring, the spring wire could pop-off again and again.

I don't know if it came from SCCY like this. I didn't notice this the first time to the range, because my gun shop sold me Blazer aluminum ammo when I bought the gun, and I assumed the soft cases were causing the numerous feed problems. But yesterday I shot Federal brass ammo just fine, other than the slide hold issue.

So, I'll be contacting SCCY about sending this in for repair.
Sccy WOOD Shims . Ammo OAL . CPX Sold
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. MLK Jr 1957
TRUMP -1y : Lawless Cheating Thief, Ignorant Sideshow Conman,
Lying Crybaby, Cruel Spineless Bully, Putin+MBS Clientele .. WTF!
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Pony Soldier » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:54 pm

How long have you had you CPX? Mine has a serial number in the 149xxx range that I got in July last year. Send the pistol to SCCY. I had a minor issue 2 months ago but I got it back within 5 days. Then I saw where they also replaced the extractor, firing pin and recoil rod, per their notes.
Let us know what your final outcome is and any items other than the spring issue that they did to you weapon.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:19 pm

economod wrote:I've had my new CPX-2 to the range twice now, shooting about 100 rounds each time. Yesterday,.... it should.

I watched a youtube video ..... that spring wire.

But, it appears to me that the poly frame is slightly bulged-out because the spring wire is tucked behind the lever. The bulge is in the thin top wall of the frame, starting at the front of the receiver and goes back 2" to the cutout for the slide hold lever. The top edge of the poly frame is perfectly straight on the other side of the receiver. I'm concerned that if the bulge doesn't return back to its straight profile after fixing the spring, the spring wire could pop-off again and again.

I don't .... hold issue.

So, I'll be contacting SCCY about sending this in for repair.

Post a picture will you? That's a new one on me.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby rwt101 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:04 pm

I never got back to update on the same problem. When I actually took it apart, the spring had slipped off the lever. SCCY had sent me a new spring so I did put that on on. When this happened the pin came out and the slide came almost all the way off. I was shooting steel case ammo at the time.
I went to the range yesterday and ran 100 rnds of brass case ammo through it and had no problems at all.
Bob T
rwt101
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:51 pm

rwt101 - Good to hear your CPX is doing well for you now. 8)
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby economod » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:23 am

rwt101 ... Did you notice any difference in material form between the new and old spring? After reassemble, do you see any bulge in the thin top edge of the poly frame? Is the thin top edge of the poly frame just as straight as the other side? I'm glad to hear it's functioning again. Maybe I'll get a punch and try it myself. Thanks for the update!

Pony Soldier ... I bought mine about the same time last fall. I sent an email to SCCY yesterday afternoon. Thanks.

getvicious ... A picture is a great idea. Unfortunately I don't currently own a cell phone. If I can find my old digital camera and relearn how to use it, maybe I'll give it a shot. The bulge I see is slight, but noticeable. It's only the thickness of the spring wire. I just don't know how plastic the poly frame is, or how long it's been misshapen, and am concerned as to whether it will return to its original form. Thanks.

* edit ... While shopping for pin punch kits this morning, I got a reply from Danice, who will send me a shipping label.
Thank you everyone!
economod
Veteran Member

Postby rwt101 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:25 pm

P1030546.JPG
P1030545.JPG
P1030546.JPG
I didn't notice the bulge when I replaced the spring, so I just looked at it and there is a bulge or thinner spot there.
Bob T
rwt101
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Yeah, that's it. It's easy to see in comparison, as I stared down the top edge of the poly frame on the other side of the receiver, because it's straight as an arrow and has no cutaways. I'm just concerned that if the slight bulge remains, there could be a chance that the spring wire may slip off behind the lever again. I'm thinking that it's the design intent to have that edge as straight and rigid as possible to retain the position of the lever and spring. Thanks for the photos! It's a very slight bulge, but it doesn't take much to allow that spring wire to slip off the top of the lever.

I packed mine up with the warranty forms and shipping label that SCCY emailed to me, and dropped it off at my UPS Customer Service Center, to be delivered on Monday. I included a printed copy of my original post here on the forum, to explain my concern. Thank you.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby rwt101 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:08 pm

You can take your finger and put a little pressure on that spot and it will go back in flat.
I sent an email to SCCY and will call them on Monday about mine. My problem is the I am about 30 miles from a customer service center. The UPS store won't take them.

Bob T
rwt101
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:24 pm

That's what I'm concerned with. I haven't had my receiver out, and haven't handled the poly frame by itself to feel the rigidity of the side walls. Makes me wonder.

* edit ... My UPS Customer Service Center is only about 3 miles past my Walmart. Had to get groceries anyway.

** edit ... Danice emailed instructions on how to arrange UPS to pick up my package at home, on SCCY's tab. You won't need to drive there. :D
economod
Veteran Member

Postby rwt101 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks.
Bob T
rwt101
Forum Regular

Postby sccytoter » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:07 am

parkerd wrote:UPS picking up your package is not on SCCy"s tab. That's what UPS does, picks up packages.
LOL! :lol: Now that's funny right there!
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 am

rwt101 ... Here's part of the letter I received from Danice concerning shipping ...

"We were notified by UPS that they do not want guns taken to their stores or hubs, please contact UPS to set up a pick of your package either online at http://www.ups.com and select shipping/schedule a pick up or by calling 1-800-742-5877. You will need our account number which is (xxxxxx) so they will bill SCCY Industries for the pick-up."
economod
Veteran Member

Postby arcus10mm » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:39 pm

THEY WILL NOT PICK UP A GUN----------Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.
Last edited by arcus10mm on Tue May 24, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion