Anyone else have their mag release fall out?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Anyone else have their mag release fall out?

Postby Orangedotfever » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:59 am

On the 2nd magazine of my new CPX-2, when I dropped the mag out, my magazine release fell out of the gun. Was going to send it back but noticed that the retaining/tension spring for the release had been pushed up and out of the hole in the release. I realigned the release and slid the spring back down into place. It's working again but I see nothing holding this spring down to keep it from happening again. Anyone else have this problem? I'll call SCCY Monday and see what they say. Thanks.
Last edited by Orangedotfever on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orangedotfever

Re: Anyone else have their mag release fall out?

Postby getvicious » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:48 pm

That's a new one on me. All that's there is the magazine release and the magazine release spring. Make sure the spring is in the frame properly in it's slot so it stays there.

Calling SCCY with questions is never a bad thing.

BTW - Howdy and welcome from NC.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Orangedotfever » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:18 pm

Yeah, the spring is basically a horseshoe shape with a small hook on one end. The other end is straight and just sticks into a hole in the mag release lever. The spring slides into slots on each side of the grip frame. What I don't know is if the hooked end is supposed to snap into a hole in the grip frame or just stay in place by friction. I fired another 50 rounds through it this morning and have had no other problems. The spring seems to be staying in place for now but I'll call SCCY about it anyway.
Orangedotfever

Postby getvicious » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:50 pm

I just looked at mine.

The left side of the spring fits into a hole on the top of the left side of the mag release. The right side of the spring has a 90 degree bend and fits behind a lip in the frame, essentially a slot. There's no fitting into a hole for the right side end of the spring on mine, just in the slot. The left side also rests in a slot when the mag release isn't being pressed.

Mag Release Spring 2-28-2016.jpg
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Orangedotfever » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:30 pm

Thanks getvicious, that's the same as mine. Looks like the 90 degree hook just kind of digs into the side of the gripframe to hold it there. It doesn't take much pressure to slide the spring up and out of the hole in the magazine release. Must not be a very common occurrence because I can't find any reference to it on here or the internet in general. I'll just keep firing it and see if it walks up and out again. It may have never been seated all the way from the factory. Thanks again for the help
Orangedotfever

Postby tnlawndart » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:35 am

Just happened to me with my brand, spankin' new CPX-2. Fourth or fifth magazine. Was very upset that I was going to have to test out The Amazing Warranty, but was able to fix it when I got home by sliding the mag release spring back down into the retention hole of the release. Definitely something to watch going forward- we'll see if this is just a coincidence, a QC problem, or a new-found flaw. To add to the picture, I had a 3rd OEM magazine I was using. Didn't notice (or mark, for that matter) which one was in at the time. Will definitely pay attention to see if it is mag related.

Will contact SCCY to let them know. Thanks to getviscious for the pic.
tnlawndart

Postby getvicious » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:34 am

tnlawndart - Howdy and welcome from NC.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Orangedotfever » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:57 pm

Just got off the phone with SCCY. They said that they are aware of a mag release problem on some pistols and are sending a prepaid return form and want to properly repair my CPX-2. Hate to be without it so soon but glad they are so active on their customer service.
Orangedotfever

Postby GoesBang » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:53 am

The original did not have the little bend on the end of the spring. Jason saw the design flaw and recommended the change. It adds a little more tension.

The KelTec P11 spring does not have the hook.
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby Orangedotfever » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:54 am

GoesBang wrote:The original did not have the little bend on the end of the spring. Jason saw the design flaw and recommended the change. It adds a little more tension.

Apparently the little hook is not enough. At least on some pistols. Mine (serial number 325XXX) has the hook and still slides out of place. They said they know about it and will fix it. I trust them to do so and am currently awaiting UPS to pick it up today.
Orangedotfever

Postby getvicious » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Orangedotfever wrote:
GoesBang wrote:The original did not have the little bend on the end of the spring. Jason saw the design flaw and recommended the change. It adds a little more tension.

Apparently the little hook is not enough. At least on some pistols. Mine (serial number 325XXX) has the hook and still slides out of place. They said they know about it and will fix it. I trust them to do so and am currently awaiting UPS to pick it up today.

I wonder what changed? There has not been issues reported here about that till very recently. Believe me, there would have if people experienced that often. Forums are good at collecting complaints.

I haven't seem that mentioned on the FB groups either.

Weird how for years there's not a mention then suddenly two owners report it here within days and it's a known issue to SCCY. :?
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Orangedotfever » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:44 pm

I'm betting that they assume that mine is an older model before the hook was added. It wouldn't take much for them to add a small depression in the gripframe for the hook end to drop into and hold it from sliding up. I seriously considered taking a small drill bit and reaching through the mag release hole and creating my own depression for the spring to hook into. That would be an obvious modification and SCCY really needs to evaluate the problem without my meddling :wink:
Orangedotfever

Postby getvicious » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:30 pm

Orangedotfever wrote:I'm betting that they assume that mine is an older model before the hook was added. It wouldn't take much for them to add a small depression in the gripframe for the hook end to drop into and hold it from sliding up. I seriously considered taking a small drill bit and reaching through the mag release hole and creating my own depression for the spring to hook into. That would be an obvious modification and SCCY really needs to evaluate the problem without my meddling :wink:

That would make your pistol pretty old. Mine is serial number 055xxx and it has the hook. It's a pretty early 2nd Gen model. My original CPX-1 (039xxx) had the hook too, if I remember correctly - but I may be mistaken in that. In any case, I think all 2nd Gen pistols have the hook.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby tnlawndart » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Called yesterday, was informed by Jason it was a known problem. Got the return shipping label this morning and it is on its way. We'll see what the turnaround time will be.
tnlawndart

Postby Orangedotfever » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:11 pm

tnlawndart wrote:Called yesterday, was informed by Jason it was a known problem. Got the return shipping label this morning and it is on its way. We'll see what the turnaround time will be.
UPS picked mine up about 4pm EST. Will see who gets theirs back first......it's a race. LOL
Orangedotfever

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion